Considering a Motherboard/CPU upgrade

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Fragems
Next-Gen

Considering a Motherboard/CPU upgrade

Post by Fragems »

After 6 years of faithful service my PC has finally hit it's limits with the release of BF1 :cry: . Managed to slog through the single player with some mild choppiness but multiplayer just demolishes my CPU so it's time for an upgrade.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a AMD FX-8370 processor since I've never been much of a Intel man and it currently looks like it gives the best bang for your buck. However I'm having a hard time deciding which motherboard I want to go with. Currently I'm looking at the MSI 990FXA-GAMING and ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 boards both of which have combos available with the CPU for about the same price ($290 for the MSI, and $300 for ASUS). If anyone with a little more technical knowledge would like to chime in their opinions on those two or suggest another motherboard it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the rest of the components I'll probably just be transferring most of my older stuff over. Would like to upgrade my GPU but I think I'll hold off for a bit.

Current Build:
Motherboard: MSI NF980-G65
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 OC
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 1600 (4x4GB)
PSU: KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W
HDDs: Seagate 3TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, and WD Blue 320GB
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition

Also I currently have a Thermaltake Frio installed for CPU cooling is there any reason it wouldn't work on the AMD FX-8370? AM3+ wasn't around when I purchased it so it's only listed up to AM3 compatibility but is there much of a difference between the AM3 and AM3+ socket in terms of size that might cause issues?
Last edited by Fragems on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Considering a Motherboard/CPU upgrade

Post by emwearz »

If you are set on AMD, wait for Zen. It is a new platform, supporting DDR4, M.2 and a range of platform dependent features that intel has been using for years. It also has much better single threaded performance and a more traditional "Hyper Threading" style of simultaneous multithreading.

Do not suggest investing in AMD until Zen drops.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

This is more of a budget upgrade though it sounds like Zen will be somewhat pricey at least for a while(although there is no official pricing yet unless I overlooked an announcement) and really my current build performs very well it's just the CPU is finally starting to reach it's limits with newer releases.

Unless there is some huge revolution in the gaming world it feels like this upgrade would be enough to last me the next 5-6 years once I get around to upgrading the GPU.

If I were doing a fresh build I would wait for the Zen but since I don't want to throw a ton of money into it this seems like a decent option.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I would wait to see what Zen is going to be like (they're talking Q1 2017) before doing anything.

If Zen ends up being pricey, the FX stuff will probably be on sale.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Maybe I will wait and see money is better put towards my house hunting budget for now anyways :(. BF1 will just have to wait a while to bad it's so CPU intensive figured since I could run SW Battlefront pretty well during the beta that I could scrap by in BF1 on low settings but it just has constant freezing/stuttering :P. At least I was able to crawl through the single player without to much issue so it wasn't a complete waste of money.