Running N-Gage games off of the memory card?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
General Chaos
128-bit

Running N-Gage games off of the memory card?

Post by General Chaos »

For anyone who has an N-Gage, is it relatively simple to run roms off of a memory card with it? I've read that you basically just need a "cracked" rom on the memory card and you can run it without any extra devices/etc.

Any help and/or pointing in the direction of a guide or something similar would be much appreciated.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Here, try reading this one.
http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... n-gage.htm

Depending on the card you get, you may have periodic slowdowns. There is allegedly a fix for the bigger cards - I'd like to know if that works. Or you can just either get smaller MMCs, or have the larger ones partially empty.

Ivo.
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

Post by NebachadnezzaR »

Yes, all you have to do is connect the N-Gage to the PC (or use a card reader if you have the NG QD, that one has no USB port) and send the games to the memory card. They come in two varieties, some of the older roms come in a file that you have to open with a little program called blizzard installer or something that will install the game in your N-Gage, but most roms come in their original folder with all the files inside, you just have to send it to the memory card and it's ready to go.
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I'm really interested in playing Pocket Kingdom. Can anyone recommend some other "must have" N-Gage titles?
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

Post by NebachadnezzaR »

My favourite game for the system is probably Ghost Recon. Awesome FPS that plays surprisingly good considering the NG's hardware. Asphalt Urban GT is also pretty good, although a bit hard at times (or it's just me that sucks at racing games), both Colin McRae and Sega Rally are great rally games, One is also a pretty good fighting game, even if a bit slow, both Pathway to Glory 1 and 2 are games that defined the system, although you have to like tactic games to enjoy these ones, Rayman and Pandemonium and pretty entertaining if you like platformers, Red Faction is probably the best FPS for the system after Ghost Recon (Ashen was pretty hyped but didn't deliver in my opinion), The Roots is a diablo-style RPG (I'm playing it right now), Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is a port of the first game and it's still as fun today as it was back then, Virtua Tennis is also a lot of fun and...well...that's about it, I guess.

There are more decent games, but these are the best of the best in my opinion and they should be enough to keep you entertained for a while. After that you can always just try the other ones out, there aren't that many games for the system, so it shouldn't take long to play them all.
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

Sounds like a lot of games worth playing. At first I almost felt silly for being interested in the N-Gage but it looks to have a decent enough game library to warrant a purchase, especially at the prices you can find the QD for now.
Lorfarius
16-bit

Re: Running N-Gage games off of the memory card?

Post by Lorfarius »

Rise from your grave! Just picked up a QD this week and don't have any games so thought I'd try running a couple of ROMs. Had no joy with it whatsoever, they simply refuse to run saying "Please insert the game MMC". I looked at the WOS link above which tells you to just drop the App and Lib folders straight into the System folder which I've done but still no joy. I can't find anything else online and been searching all day, can anyone offer some advice? Completely stumped!