NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ejamer
128-bit
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by ejamer Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Hmm... Just saw this video linked from another site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreOa_rIUj0

Short story, using nail polish display stands for Game Boy games looks pretty awesome.

There have been discussions here before, and the most common approach I've read about is holding them in binder sheets... but this gives a much nicer display in my opinion. Seems pretty affordable too, unlike most of the wall mount cases that I've investigated.

Has anyone else tried this? Or have other tips about affordable ways to display loose games?

A real shame that GBA games aren't tall enough to sit well in these cases though. I've got about 30 loose GBA games that I'd love to find a nice display solution for - but have had no luck so far. (Some people do DS cases with custom covers, but I don't have easy access to cases or a color printer so that's not an option right now.)



Edit:
Didn't realize there was an existing topic dedicated to storing/displaying GB carts, and it didn't pop out when I searched before posting. Adding a link here because it's got some other options/discussion on the topic!

Gameboy Storage Guide:
viewtopic.php?p=605190#p605190
Last edited by ejamer on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by Betagam7 Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 am

ejamer wrote:Hmm... Just saw this video linked from another site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreOa_rIUj0

Short story, using nail polish display stands for Game Boy games looks pretty awesome.

There have been discussions here before, and the most common approach I've read about is holding them in binder sheets... but this gives a much nicer display in my opinion. Seems pretty affordable too, unlike most of the wall mount cases that I've investigated.

Has anyone else tried this? Or have other tips about affordable ways to display loose games?

A real shame that GBA games aren't tall enough to sit well in these cases though. I've got about 30 loose GBA games that I'd love to find a nice display solution for - but have had no luck so far. (Some people do DS cases with custom covers, but I don't have easy access to cases or a color printer so that's not an option right now.)


The video is from Backloggery. It's an awesome solution,not just to displaying handheld carts of all sizes and shapes but to displaying the handhelds themselves.

I'm ordering some from ebay as we speak.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7511
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:38 am

I might do that. I'm really in love with the DS case and printed art method, but it is pretty pricey for larger collections...
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by Tanooki Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:05 am

Aside from the guy looking like he might use that best method for his own nail polish, it's not a bad idea, but it's not the best as it's a pretty wide and deep space waster. It works if you have the room and want to show off little stickers though but that's about it. You could also in that case go the route of the old table top or free standing Zippo lighter kiosks that manually or mechanically rotate around, lock shut with a key, and has a light inside to show off all the wares but isn't as cheap most likely either depending where one would be found.

Personally I just use an antique wood library card system 2 drawer box. It's deep, and the holder is wide enough for 2 columns worth of any form of GB/C/A game in there and it will hold a LOT too. I just stuff them in A-Z and as more goes in I shove the little metal divider inside back on its track so I can thumb through stuff like the old cards would have been. Bonus is it looks awesome, it's a hidden surprise what's inside, and the entire flat top works as a further surface for whatever your needs may be.
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by Betagam7 Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:31 am

Tanooki wrote:Aside from the guy looking like he might use that best method for his own nail polish, it's not a bad idea, but it's not the best as it's a pretty wide and deep space waster. It works if you have the room and want to show off little stickers though but that's about it. You could also in that case go the route of the old table top or free standing Zippo lighter kiosks that manually or mechanically rotate around, lock shut with a key, and has a light inside to show off all the wares but isn't as cheap most likely either depending where one would be found.

Personally I just use an antique wood library card system 2 drawer box. It's deep, and the holder is wide enough for 2 columns worth of any form of GB/C/A game in there and it will hold a LOT too. I just stuff them in A-Z and as more goes in I shove the little metal divider inside back on its track so I can thumb through stuff like the old cards would have been. Bonus is it looks awesome, it's a hidden surprise what's inside, and the entire flat top works as a further surface for whatever your needs may be.


Yes, but this video is about people displaying games, not hiding them a drawer. They do mention those sort of options if you are space conscious. This is an option for people who want to display the artwork on their carts in their game room.
As for dimensions: I checked the measurements and it actually fits perfectly inside the generic three tier bookcases that most supermarkets sell. I currently keep my handhelds in one of these. I definitely see potential for displays with this. I'm envisioning shelves for NGPC, GBC, Megaduck and...well...I'll probably still keep the Supervision games in a drawer...wouldn't want to terrify people!
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by Tanooki Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 am

I know that, but the lengths people go for the inane silliness of displaying a sticker still amazes me. Advertising pieces, the systems, little toys or some other crap makes more sense, even old game boxes, but the carts just seem like a colossal waste. I have mine all out for consoles, sideways on a media shelf. The NES you can see the tops fine, but the other systems they're all a-z with the side facing out nice and low key.
ejamer
128-bit
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by ejamer Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:56 am

Tanooki wrote:I know that, but the lengths people go for the inane silliness of displaying a sticker still amazes me. Advertising pieces, the systems, little toys or some other crap makes more sense, even old game boxes, but the carts just seem like a colossal waste. I have mine all out for consoles, sideways on a media shelf. The NES you can see the tops fine, but the other systems they're all a-z with the side facing out nice and low key.


Different strokes, different folks. Nothing wrong either way.

My problem is an "out of sight, out of mind" issue where my GBA games rarely get played because they are tucked away in a nice little box instead of displayed like my DS or PSP games. I have enough space to display them, and expect that it would lead me to enjoy the collection more if they were openly visible.

If you don't share that problem, that's totally ok. :)
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by Betagam7 Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Tanooki wrote:I know that, but the lengths people go for the inane silliness of displaying a sticker still amazes me. Advertising pieces, the systems, little toys or some other crap makes more sense, even old game boxes, but the carts just seem like a colossal waste. I have mine all out for consoles, sideways on a media shelf. The NES you can see the tops fine, but the other systems they're all a-z with the side facing out nice and low key.


I don't think it's just about the sticker. It's also about looking at your games and thinking...hmm...I haven't played that one in a while. I think I'll try it now. Or simply displaying a game that you're proud to own.

The problem with gameboy carts as opposed to say, NA SNES carts is that they all look the same from above and there is definately a more visually appealing aspect to the sticker than a row of grey plastic.

Personally, though, I'm just pleased to have something that will hold my various handhelds upright!
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by Betagam7 Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:25 am

Well it took an inordinately long time to get here but my try-out display stand for my nail varnish Game Boy games arrived today.

I think it works really well. Nice rows of five by five and it also slots perfectly into one of those 3 tier IKEA shelving units.

The only complaint was that the plastic sides were quite scuffed. I guess since these are used for store displays the Chinese manufacturers don't put much polish on them. Not to matter though, once it's full of games you can't see.

I also like how it's backless and hollow, meaning you can store boxes or consoles underneath it!

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5034
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Storing and displaying old GB cartridges

by samsonlonghair Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:25 am

Good looking collection, Beta.
Betagam7 wrote:I guess since these are used for store displays the Chinese manufacturers don't put much polish on them.

I though putting nail polish on them was the whole point. :wink:
Return to Nintendo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests