Popular Server Oses?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Popular Server Oses?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Go ahead and make a backup of Racketboy.com on one of those servers. :lol:

No, seriously though, I appreciate you getting the forums back up and running again.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

samsonlonghair wrote:Go ahead and make a backup of Racketboy.com on one of those servers. :lol:

No, seriously though, I appreciate you getting the forums back up and running again.

I know that is a joke, but we are in talks with the hosting company to see if we can do a failover to my home connection.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

fastbilly1 wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Go ahead and make a backup of Racketboy.com on one of those servers. :lol:

I know that is a joke, but we are in talks with the hosting company to see if we can do a failover to my home connection.

You mentioned something about it offhand in the smile/ticked off thread. I'm glad your taking these measures.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

You mentioned something about it offhand in the smile/ticked off thread. I'm glad your taking these measures.

I am just tired of things not working. The cost to upgrade my home network to where I can host it is miniscule compare to the benefit.

But back on topic. I spent last night working on my servers, only two were processed back to working condition.
1. Dell R710 - I knew all the drives were wiped when I got it, but there was an issue with iDrac reading one of them. Turns out the cable for that slot wiggled out during transport, so now it has 1 tb of raid 1 and 3tb of raid 5. It has 4 gig NICs built in, but the PCI risers only support 8x PCIe. So my 8g Fiber NICs will not work without an adapter. This thing runs standard 3.5 inch SATA drives, not SAS, at up to 2tb each, it has six 1tbs currently. Dual Quad Xeon 5600s with 48gigs of ram. I want to say they are E5620s. Hyper-V should be installed on this tonight.

2. IBM 3650 M2 - This was a bit more complicated: IBM 3650 M2. Many connectors were jostled out, two HDDs died, had to troubleshoot ram, had to reseat the cooler for cpu 2, one PSU is dead. Then I fired it up and it went to a white screen. Half an hour of tinkering later, I find out the monitor died. Swapped out to a new monitor, it fired up to knoppix like a champ. This however has 8 2.5 SAS harddrives, mostly 4x 73gig, 2x 146gig, 2x 300gig. Which ofcourse sounds like a Huey taking off when you turn it on. I wiped the harddrives but did not setup any raid configurations - debating on 4x raid 1s or 2x raid 1s and a raid 5. Only 2x gig nics here - also no way to install my 10gig NICs. ESXi should be installed on this week.

After this I moved into my stack of Dell 1950s. After opening three and none having ram, I decided to save those for later. I am keeping two 1950s as backup testbeds (being 1u it is easy to just slot them into empty spots on the rack) mostly because I have so many spare parts. Aswell as keeping one as the Racket backup/failover.

I desperately need my rack and rails to arrive so I can mount these into something instead of carting them around on my rocknroller. I also picked up some used Juniper gear, but thats a different topic all together. I will be the King of the next lanparty I attend though.