Problems with NES cart slot replacement

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
marurun

Problems with NES cart slot replacement

Post by marurun »

So, I replaced the cart slot on my toaster NES yesterday evening. The thing reads games like a charm, though it gets a death grip on them and it takes some pulling to get them back :)

I've noticed, though, that the pop-up mechanism, when screwed back in tightly, warps a little and it makes it hard for games to catch when you push them down. I loosened the screws enough that it catches OK now, but I know the frame is still a little warped in there. Anything I can do to alleviate this other than simply having the screws loose enough to rattle?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
vlame
Next-Gen

Re: Problems with NES cart slot replacement

Post by vlame »

need a unwarped cradle?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
marurun

Post by marurun »

My cradle isn't warped until I tighten the screws, then it bends the front of the cradle.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

There is a tab on the front part of the cradle you need to make sure that that slides onto the board and doesn't just sit over it. If you take the whole board out it's much easier to make sure it slides in right. If you need more help or need pictures of this please let me know. Let me know if this solves your problem.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

When I installed my second NES pin replacement I had problems with clicking the cartridge down. Turns out it wasn't installed right, it just wasn't lined up correctly, but all is good now. Mine also has that "death grip" which is pretty annoying. But I guess that's just because the pins are holding the cartridge so tight, which I don't have a problem with.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have it working, but this behavior isn't really resolved. Maybe I'll go back in and try to fix it. When I'm done being sick.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The death grip goes away after a while. I replaced my connector about four years ago, and now it's at the point of being a very snug fit that requires a bit of wiggling to get out, but not nearly as bad as before, when I used the pliers to get games out.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Yeah I would definetly get that put together the way it's supposed to be because it could become permenately warped. Good luck and get well.