15. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360)
16. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
17. VVVVVV (3DS)
18. Saints Row: The Third (360)
19. Resident Evil 4 HD (XBLA)
20. Dear Esther (Steam)
21. Ys Seven (PSP)
22. Fez (XBLA)
23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)
24. Max Payne 3 (360)
25. Lollipop Chainsaw (360)
26. The Darkness II (360)
27. Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (XBLA)
28. Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (XBLA)
29. Need For Speed The Run (360)
30. Gravity Rush (PS Vita)
31. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)

This game is packed with content, so I'm considering it "finished" since I went through and completed each main series within the game. But since there are tons of stuff to unlock and more Challenges to conquer I can see myself playing many more hours of this one.

I ended up liking Theatrhythm a lot more than I thought I would. The design is very simple (you're either holding a note, tapping it, or swiping), but can quickly get out of hand in the Expert and Ultimate songs. And between the three different types of presentation (Emotional Music, Battle Music or Field Music) you definitely have to pay attention.

On top of being able to play music from all the main numbered Final Fantasies 1-13, the characters you use level up and earn new abilities, you can unlock more characters, earn items and find collectible cards. Street Pass also lets you trade a random pairing of two songs (some that can't be found in the other modes), each with a random selection of enemies that show up.

Final verdict: I can't put it down.
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by J T Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:56 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1/12) PC
Mirror's Edge (1/18) PC
Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23) PC
Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2) PC
Dinner Date (2/15) PC
NyxQuest (2/19) PC
Dear Esther (2/20) PC
The Stanley Parable (2/21) PC
To The Moon (2/26) PC
Escape Goat (6/16) PC
Rayman Origins (6/17) PC
Robot Pinball Escape (6/18) PC
Offspring Fling (7/16) PC

I bought this game largely because the advertisement was like a 90s SNES commercial. Thankfully, the game is very fun too. There are one hundred puzzles to the main quest, but they are all so varied you never get bored. In fact, it felt like it was over too quickly. I just may have to try the level editor to keep it going.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm

NihonRobot wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Lollipop Chainsaw - 8/10 (PS3)

I'm glad to see other people like this one. It definitely has an acquired taste, I think.

Yeah, some of the reviews have been rather harsh. I don't think the game is without flaws, but it is as a whole more than the sum of its parts. I certainly came away from it with an overall positive feeling, and even found myself wanting more. I wouldn't mind a sequel. I just love the retro feel of the game. It really feels to me like a Dreamcast era arcade game, just the whole vibe of the game reminds me of times spent gaming on the Dreamcast for some reason
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
NihonRobot wrote:

I'm glad to see other people like this one. It definitely has an acquired taste, I think.

Yeah, some of the reviews have been rather harsh. I don't think the game is without flaws, but it is as a whole more than the sum of its parts. I certainly came away from it with an overall positive feeling, and even found myself wanting more. I wouldn't mind a sequel. I just love the retro feel of the game. It really feels to me like a Dreamcast era arcade game, just the whole vibe of the game reminds me of times spent gaming on the Dreamcast for some reason

The Nick/Juliette relationship is surprisingly well handled too in those rare moments were the writing takes it seriously. Speaking of which, you guys all know James Gunn was involved with the story right? That's an interesting bit of trivia. After watching Super, this does sort of feel like something he would be involved in
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
NihonRobot
24-bit

by NihonRobot Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
NihonRobot wrote:

I totally agree, and I think that's something consistent with Suda51 games. Each aspect of the game may not be that great, but the sum of the parts is always extremely entertaining.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 pm

January-June
Bride of Pin*Bot (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - PS3
Super Stardust Delta - Vita
DoDonPachi Resurrection - 360
Bit.Trip Beat - PC
Dear Esther - PC *new*

TOTAL: 42

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

Well that's a first: a game that made me cry. :cry:

Phenomenal, beautiful, wrenching. A pair of headphones, a pitch dark room, and the right mindset and the right life experiences = intensely emotional and personal game. Unbelievable.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 pm

dsheinem wrote:Well that's a first: a game that made me cry. :cry:

Phenomenal, beautiful, wrenching. A pair of headphones, a pitch dark room, and the right mindset and the right life experiences = intensely emotional and personal game. Unbelievable.

I went from thinking this is an overly artsy game where you just push "w" to win, to falling in love with the visuals and Steam's screen capture feature, to finally getting into the ambiguous story, and finally the ending really got to me and had me somewhat inexplicably teary eyed too. It's a very unusual "game", but quite the experience.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47 pm

J T wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Well that's a first: a game that made me cry. :cry:

I went from thinking this is an overly artsy game where you just push "w" to win, to falling in love with the visuals and Steam's screen capture feature, to finally getting into the ambiguous story, and finally the ending really got to me. It's a very unusual "game", but quite the experience.

I have never taken so many pictures in a game. I must have taken a screenshot every two minutes on average, that's how impressed I was with the visuals. Once you sort of figure out what is going on with the story (at lest enough to weave your own interpretation into it), it really becomes something else.
Ack

by Ack Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:10 am

1. Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2. The Ball (PC)
3. Tyrian 2000 (PC)
4. Shogo - Mobile Armor Division (PC)
5. Disney's Goof Troop (SNES)
6. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
7. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
8. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)
9. Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye (SNES)
10. Castlevania 64 (N64)
11. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
12. Dungeons of Dredmor (PC)
13. Torchlight (PC)

A few friends sent me a couple of RPGs to try out over Steam, and I ended up getting really into them. Dungeons of Dredmor is a roguelike with a lot of character. Torchlight is a well put together Diablo-style action RPG. I thought both were great, and I plan to go back and play them both more.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

NihonRobot wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:

I totally agree, and I think that's something consistent with Suda51 games. Each aspect of the game may not be that great, but the sum of the parts is always extremely entertaining.

That's true, but it's a shame he doesn't put more effort into polishing and fine tuning the "parts". Although I liked the game, I could easily make a list of things that hold it back from a gameplay perspective, and if those things had been fine tuned and polished I have no doubt that Lollipop Cainsaw would have gotten 8-10 scores across the board from critics, would have been Suda's most successful, popular title, and would have been viewed as one of the best action games of this generation. LC has all the makings of a classic game, but there are moments when the combat and various other gameplay elements just feel sloppy and half-assed, and it seems like it wouldn't have taken a whole lot of effort to improve them.

For those very reasons, I would LOVE seeing a sequel, but that seems unlikely as it isn't looking like this game was a big success.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Return to General Gaming