2D Shooters Invade
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Truxton (Tatsujin) Genesis vs. PC-Engine (Video Uploaded)

by GSZX1337 Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

I recently found out that Truxton (Tatsujin in the Japan) had a PC-Engine port in addition to the Genesis/Megadrive port I played. Unfortunately, (probably the reason why I never heard of it before) the game wasn't brought to the US TurboGrafx-16 because by the time the game was released (1992) the TurboGrafx was already dead. There's some real differences (I'll edit my post to list them) between the games which led me to wonder:

Have you played both games? Which game do you like better?

EDIT: Since the last comparison got lost after I logged back in, I'll type a short and sweet version, and later expand upon it.

Visuals:
The Genesis/Megadrive version has grittier, more detailed graphics. There is also a black bar occupying the right-most fourth of the screen displaying your score, lives, difficulty, bombs and powerups.

The PC-Engine version has brighter, more stylized graphics with brighter colors. In lieu of the black bar, the PCE version fills the entire screen showing your 1-ups, score, and bombs on the corners of the screen.

Audio:
Overall, the Genesis/Megadrive version's audio has more bass and some mild distortion. The greatest example being that nightmare-inducing ship-explosion. Both games have the same tracks, but the G/MD version's soundtrack is lower and more technical. There are more sound effects than the PCE version, every enemy and boss has a sound effect when they fire their weapons.

The PC-Engine version has the same soundtrack with the exception of a track called "Ranking". The PCE version's music is faster and more melodic. The sound effects are your standard 8-bit fare, with the exception of the weapons. The sound effect for the Power-Shot sounds like a machine gun. Very nice. The Tatsujin Beam sounds like TV static. The sound effect for the Sun-Laser sounds like the Twin Shot from the Top-View stages of Thunder Force 2. The sound effects are often reduced to small chirps and blips when you're firing your weapons. (Not enough audio channels on the PC-Engine?)

Gameplay:
The gameplay overall is mostly the same for both versions. The Genesis/Megadrive version has a couple saving graces for the difficulty. The first is the bombs. The bombs in the G/MD version fill the entire screen. The second is the Power-Shot. The third upgrade gives you two satellites that generate shields that destroy small enemies. Unfortunately, they do not block projectiles. The third is the controller having three buttons. In addition to the rapid fire, you have a single shot that comes in handy for when the stage calls for more methodical firing.

The PC-Engine version is more difficult than the Genesis/Megadrive version, but there are some advantages. As previously stated, the thrown off aspect ratio. This leaves less enemies off-screen which leads to less cheap deaths. The third upgrade of the Power-Shot in the PCE version just fires more bullets, instead of spawning those shielding satellites. The bombs don't fill the entire screen, but they do stay on screen longer, so if you manage to trap a boss in the blast radius the entire time, it'll do more damage. There is no single fire, there is only rapid fire which can lead to some frustrating deaths in some stages. (Stage 2) Gameplay wise, the PC-Engine version sticks a bit closer to the Arcade Original.

EDIT: Made a video of the three games' soundtracks being played.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIyXK-hHyXY
Last edited by GSZX1337 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Truxton (Tatsujin) Genesis vs. PC-Engine

by GSZX1337 Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Ugh, I had a long wall of text that took me more than an hour to type. When I hit "Submit", I had to log in. When I logged in, GONE! Several fucking paragraphs of text equivalent to a short essay, gone! I hit the back button and couldn't find it again.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Bumpy. Would anyone like me to retype my comparison?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 pm

I am interested. I have always played the Genesis/MD version since that is the one I had growing up. But recently when giving it a go in MAME I realized that I was missing out on a lot of things. How about the cliff notes version of your post?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 pm

I am interested. I have always played the Genesis/MD version since that is the one I had growing up.

Truxton for the Genesis was the version I played as a kid (and again as an adult), as well. I think that game is responsible for me loving obscure shmups so much. ;P

But recently when giving it a go in MAME I realized that I was missing out on a lot of things.

Both the PCE and MD ports were very different compared to the Arcade Original.

fastbilly1 wrote:How about the cliff notes version of your post?

Sure thing, fastbilly. I'll edit my first post.
timewarpgamer
64-bit

by timewarpgamer Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm

I like the topic. I've played both a little bit, but I never really focused on the differences. Will try to put in some more comparative playtime and get back to you soon.
I run the 8/16-bit retro site TimeWarpGamer and if you want to follow the latest updates, check me out on Twitter.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm

You mentioned Truxton in the other topic and I ended up playing it last night as a result. It's a pretty solid SHMUP and I love the music. I'll have to give Tatsujin on PCE a try to draw comparisons.

I'd also like to point out that about five out of every seven of my deaths are due to ships coming up from the rear. :x
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 pm

The real question is whether the PCE version is worth the premium. Its always been near $100 when I've seen it as opposed to the cheap Gen version.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 am

Flak Beard wrote:You mentioned Truxton in the other topic and I ended up playing it last night as a result.

All is going according to plan.

It's a pretty solid SHMUP and I love the music. I'll have to give Tatsujin on PCE a try to draw comparisons.

The music is a bit different in the PCE version.

I'd also like to point out that about five out of every seven of my deaths are due to ships coming up from the rear. :x

Definitely. It's really difficult to change your habits and stay in the center of the screen instead of the bottom lime in Raiden.

Hobie-wan wrote:The real question is whether the PCE version is worth the premium.

No, definitely not. If I wasn't emulating it, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Its always been near $100 when I've seen it as opposed to the cheap Gen version.

I've seen it go over $100 on eBay. I even asked Breetai if it's any cheaper in Japan. Nope.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Bump. If you guys didn't know, Truxton/Tatsuijin was made by Toaplan, who was responsible for Zero Wing. Of course, we all know what Zero Wing is responsible for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_b ... long_to_us
Return to Shmups