Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
chupon
Next-Gen

I think I just found Atlantis II in the wild - Help me ID it

by chupon Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:57 pm

So yeah - Here is the quick story. I'm driving home for lunch from the office I work at. Got a box of crap to drop off at the local downtown Goodwill. Figure I'll take the 60 seconds to pop in and take a look (I think the best thing I've ever found there was a Smash Bros for N64 which was being sold for $6.). I wasn't very hopeful.
Low and behold a new stack of Atari games that had never been there before. About 24 in total and right on top in the middle I see Atlantis which I recalled being on the Racketboy list. Now was that Atlantis or Atlantis II… meh - at the time I didn't remember so I bought it anyways. $1.99 was the sticker price on the back. The new guy at the register whom I'd never seen before jokingly made some comment about guys dressed like me coming in looking for treasure and trying to hock-it on ebay (I'm wearing slacks, shirt, and a tie.). I laugh a little thinking maybe I did find something.
As soon as I get home I jump on Racketboy to check the image. Looks good to me. Even checked out the comments on Imageshack someone posted about IDing a real cart.

So now I'm looking for help. Can someone with any knowledge comment and let me know what I've got here. I've done the searches online and looked at pictures and old ebay auctions. I'm not a member at Atari Age but am sure someone else here is. I don't even have a working Atari 2600 so I guess I'm gonna have to go meet up with my buddy in town who owns the local retro game store so see if it works.

Here are the photos I just snapped at home.

*Edit - photos removed
Last edited by chupon on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: I think I just found Atlantis II in the wild - Help me ID it

by chupon Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Okay - just did some more online searching and am literally shitting my pants right now at work!

onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

by onemanfilmcrew Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:17 pm

More than likely it's just an average run of the mill Atlantis cart. They released it with both the day and the night scene on the cover. The only way to tell if it is Atlantis 2 is to play it and check the scoring.

http://www.atariage.com/features/atlantis2.html
Bikeage
128-bit

by Bikeage Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:17 pm

You probably just have a common Atlantis. For the lowdown on Atlantis 2, and one of the unsung videogame champions of the 80's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqrOYhJFHI Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k2lYAFzrMg Part 2
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 pm

AFAIK there are no physical differences between the Atlantis and Atlantis II carts. Only the ROM is different, and it's pretty much just a more difficult ROM hack. I'd grab the ROMs for Atlantis and Atlantis II, play them in an emulator so you know the difference, and try it out on a real 2600. Chances are it's just a regular Atlantis cart.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Bummer - well I guess I'll have to fire it up and check.
So the only way to really check is the numbers is the scoring system eh? I'll keep you all posted.
Sorry to have uploaded such big images.

Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Looks like the only real way to be sure is to play it.. Atlantis II was a competition cart, (the first ever, actually,) and the only way to tell the difference cosmetically is by the original box that the cart was mailed in, which said "New Atlantis". Since this is cart only, you'll have to play it and see..

If the game runs super fast and mind-blisteringly difficult, then congratulations - you've scored a down-payment on a house.. :D
ImageImage
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:24 pm

chupon wrote:Okay - just did some more online searching and am literally shitting my pants right now at work!

I hope for the sake of your co-workers that you just don't understand the difference between the words "literally" and "figuritively."
AppleQueso wrote:The thing you need to realize is that eventually Noise will do everything, especially all those things he said he'd not do.

chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Yeah - I guess figuratively would be correct. Well that was exciting for an hour.

I'll take down the images above cause they are huge. I'll test it later this week. I guess I can still hope even though it'll be a long shot.

Hobie-wan

by Hobie-wan Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm

I thought the Atlantis carts usually had a printed sticker stuck on the label. If that was still on there or residue, could be a clue. But yeah, I think playing is the only way to be sure.
Return to Other Platforms