Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

General weight guide for shipping

by Hobie-wan Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:32 am

All weights are estimates. Games can obviously vary depending on the thickness of books or other included flyers as well as RPGs weighing more because of more rom chips and batteries. Controllers are generally for the most common 1st party for the system and loose consoles are just that. No cords of any kind included. This is just intended to be a rough estimate and does not include weight from packing said item up.

A CD case with no artwork is 2.4 oz/.068 kg
A slim CD case with no artwork is 1.5 oz/.042 kg

GC disc is .2 oz/.006 kg
Regular disc is .3 oz/.009 kg

CD sized bubble pack is .5 oz/.014 kg
DVD sized bubble pack is .8 oz/.023 kg

Obviously I can only weigh what I own or have pass through my hands, so if you have a weight to contribute, let me know.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: General weight guide for shipping

by Hobie-wan Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:33 am

I will add more to this later, but I'm sick of digging stuff out right now and I have other things I should be working on. :P
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:49 am

Very awesome! Thanks for putting all this together, Hobie!
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:10 am

thank you sir, when you say boxed you mean with styro and all that mess?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah, boxed I mean totally complete with everything on the systems.
arnold_the_bartender
64-bit

by arnold_the_bartender Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Figured this thread would be kinda appropriate. Has anyone shipped video games with media mail before? If so, what was your experience? USPS says it isn't allowed and that sometimes they search packages. I've received games via media mail before and I think their policy is nothing but a load of bunk.
What a maneuver!

My j00tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/arnoldthebartender
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Awesome Hobie! Great guide here.

Just a reminder to some that weights might change a bit for cartridges depending on how much RAM the game has, if it has a battery or not, etc. Same with disc games depending on the size of their manual.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:25 pm

arnold_the_bartender wrote:Figured this thread would be kinda appropriate. Has anyone shipped video games with media mail before? If so, what was your experience? USPS says it isn't allowed and that sometimes they search packages. I've received games via media mail before and I think their policy is nothing but a load of bunk.

The United States Postal Service wrote:The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind.

Yes, people can and have shipped things via media mail that shouldn't be shipped using that service.

Don't abuse the service. Ship first class. It'll only cost like an extra dollar for single games.

For systems or other heavy things use economy shipping. Priority mail flat rate boxes are another good option.

Again, don't abuse the service like so many others already do.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Actually, media starts at what, $2.30 or so now, so anything under 6oz is CHEAPER first class. But as said, please don't abuse the media mail deal, before that is taken away too. It is great for shipping heavy textbooks and the like.

A few things to note:

The eco-friendly mailers that are recycled paper filled with crushed recycled newspaper weigh about 2oz, a full 1oz+ more than the same size bubble mailer.

Don't underestimate filler either, a bunch of magazine papers or crushed up cardboard are great for padding, but they do add weight, so be sure to account for that if giving quotes.

I'm not fully sure what the deal is with usps and getting shipping covered (when package is accepted, but weight was underestimated). Sometimes it arrives postage due, sometimes it comes back to the person who shipped it, so to avoid hassle for your buyer, and an awkward PM where they had to cover postage, don't print a label until you have it boxed and sealed.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Opa Opa wrote:
arnold_the_bartender wrote:Figured this thread would be kinda appropriate. Has anyone shipped video games with media mail before? If so, what was your experience? USPS says it isn't allowed and that sometimes they search packages. I've received games via media mail before and I think their policy is nothing but a load of bunk.

The United States Postal Service wrote:The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind.

Where is that policy stated? Are video games educational material if I study them?
Return to Guides