Wii Gamecube Guide - Emio The Edge as Wii Arcade Stick

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: CRTGAMER trying a current console, yes Hell did freeze over!

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hey don't laugh I do own over 200 PS2 games
Here is my measly Wii collection, going back today to get a used Nintendo brand Component Cable. I already printed out Cover Inserts for Wii Sports and Links Crossbow Training. Gamestop cover insert displayed for comparison.

PAL Region got the nice DVD white cases, here in the U.S we got stuck with flimsy cardboard sleeves on those two games. Nice of the Gamestop employee to give me a couple Wii proprietary white cases. :mrgreen:

A question
I noticed on the Wii games, there is a registration card with a code number unique to each game, maybe to each copy? Are Wii games also individually digitally serialized on each disc? The concern is maybe a later update might tie the games to a specific console for authentication or does the serial number just keep a sync for online play? I would be very upset if five years from now my games would no longer work.
Attachments
Wii Games.jpg
Wii Games.jpg (254.11 KiB) Viewed 5984 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I believe those are the Nintendo fan loyalist codes for the points for the freebie stuff.
the King
Next-Gen

Post by the King »

CRTGAMER wrote:
A question
I noticed on the Wii games, there is a registration card with a code number unique to each game, maybe to reach copy? Are Wii games also individually digitally serialized on each disc? The concern is maybe a later update might tie the games to a specific console for authentication or does the serial number just keep a sync for online play? I would be very upset if five years from now my games would no longer work.

If the registration card looks like one below that's just for club Nintendo, where you can register your games and earn rewards and take survey's to give Nintendo feedback.

XxBroBuzzxX
32-bit

Post by XxBroBuzzxX »

the King wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:
A question
I noticed on the Wii games, there is a registration card with a code number unique to each game, maybe to reach copy? Are Wii games also individually digitally serialized on each disc? The concern is maybe a later update might tie the games to a specific console for authentication or does the serial number just keep a sync for online play? I would be very upset if five years from now my games would no longer work.

If the registration card looks like one below that's just for club Nintendo, where you can register your games and earn rewards and take survey's to give Nintendo feedback.

Somewhat on-topic: If anyone has some spare registration cards, I'd be happy to take'em off your hands. :mrgreen:
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

If you liked Link's Crossbow Training there are plenty of other light gun games.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Attack of the Movies 3D
Dead Space Extraction
HotD 2 and 3
HotD Overkill

I think there are a few more.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Thanks for all the replies concerning the registration serial number. That is a relief! Now no worries about buying used Wii games! :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ilovesega
16-bit

Post by ilovesega »

Wii is excellent, just for mario kart alone.. which also has a pretty good online. Sadly the few lightgun games I've tried have been dissapointing.. i found myself using the cursor and motion aiming rather than pointing at the TV and shooting at the enemies down the scope of the gun.

But mario kart and virtual console are really great.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Geometry Wars Galaxies

Post by CRTGAMER »

Geometry Wars Galaxies
A space themed shooter that harkens the era of older arcade games. Geometry Wars takes a refreshing game approach using the older Vector graphic style and endless enemy shooter concept of classic arcade cabinets such as Robotron and Black Widow. I had to get this based on JT's recommendation. I already own Grid Wars 2 on the Mac and love it!

Wiki wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_Wars:_Galaxies

Geometry Wars: Galaxies is a multidirectional shooter video game created by Bizarre Creations and Kuju Entertainment, which was released on Nintendo's Wii and DS consoles in November 2007. Galaxies is a sequel to Geometry Wars, which was originally included as a bonus game within Project Gotham Racing 2 on Microsoft's Xbox console. This updated version includes a single-player campaign mode, several multiplayer modes, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (previously released on the Xbox Live Arcade online service), and support for online leaderboards. The Wii version supports widescreen and 480p progressive scan display.

The Wiimote aims and holding the A or B button allows continuous fire, while the Nunchuck moves the ship in another direction. I do miss the Twinstick and may invest in the classic controller. Unfortunately Gamecube and PSX to Gamecube adapters won't work on this game. I really want to try out my PSX Twin Shock which is digital only. I could have just purchased a Wii Classic Controller, but I do not care for the segmented stops built around the analog sticks.

Twinstick
I picked up a Mayflash adapter, even getting a spare for a second player.

This allows using a Playstation Duel Shock in place of the Wii Classic Controller. It works pretty well, but the tiny Analog sticks still seem to miss something needed for this game. As a diehard Robotron player I really wanted to recapture the feel of the Arcade and see if it would work in Geometry Wars. Since I have already Modded a Blaze Twinshock, an easy hookup for Geometry Wars. The Arcade Stcks work well, Geometry Wars is now controlled just like Robotron! :idea:

Image Image

As the game progresses, new areas and planets get unlocked. My favorite is the Asteroids themed levels. The ones where you shoot a large enemy who disintegrates into a bunch of small ones. The last Galaxy level requires a DS with the DS version of Geometry Wars to unlock. I bought the DS game and borrowed a relative's DS. The game is inexpensive used at Gamestop so worth keeping for a couple of nice features.

ImageImage

Lambda Galaxy Unlock
This gives you seven more Planets to try. My favorites in each Galaxy are the Green and Red Planets. The Green Planet plays like Asteroids, smaller targets appear when shot at. The Red Planet is a Jeff Minter inspired Gridrunner style game, shoot at a rapidly created row of enemies. Using the Collect Drone in the Red Planet level is a fast way to pump up the Geom collection to "Buy" planet unlocks.

The DS and the Wii Lambda Galaxy Unlock is a simple WiFi connection. Just set both the DS and the Wii to communicate with each other. It is a one time unlock, I confirmed this by flipping the power off then back on the DS. For the Wii, I even unplugged the console for a cold start. Both the DS and Wii still have the Lambda Galaxy available for play. The unlock is stored in each game's save file, however the Wii save file cannot be transferred to another Wii.

There are three save slots available. When I created a new player in slot 2 and 3 the Lambda Galaxy is already unlocked without reconnecting the DS and the Wii. I named slot 2 save "Wii" and slot 3 save "WII" for backup in case I lose my game save. Both my Wii and DS Geometry Wars have the slots setup this way. The save names can be changed without losing any levels unlocked. The new name appears automatically when connecting to the online Leaderboard score list.

Image Image

Continue between DS and Wii
A continue option is available. Play a game on the Wii, Choose "Connect to the DS" and then continue where you left off on the DS. Choose "Connect to the Wii" on the DS, then continue the game back on the Wii again.
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=11241

The Wii and DS can also communicate with each other through a few simple button presses, allowing you to transfer content that you’ve unlocked in one version to the other. I began my Geometry Wars Galaxies play testing with the DS version and unlocked the first couple of levels. When I turned on the Wii version I was able to choose to connect to the DS via the menu. A notice then popped up to tell me that those levels had now been unlocked on the Wii version. Of course, if you’re up for the challenge on both versions you may not want to do this, but the option is there, and it takes only a matter of seconds to unlock the content.

There’s also some good news for Wii gamers who own a DS, but only buy the Wii version. They can download Geometry Wars Retro Evolved for free onto the DS from the Wii, whereas owners of both versions can also combine their high scores on the Elite leaderboard rankings.

With the correct controller, Geometry Wars plays as the older Twinstick Arcade games. The shoot in one direction while moving in another, a lost form of gameplay in newer games. The Wiimote offers a more fluid movement with the pointing to aim, but the sticks just feels right for a more in depth satisfying slam the stick control. :mrgreen:

Attachments
Geometry Wars galaxies.jpg
Geometry Wars galaxies.jpg (249.54 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

CRTGAMER wrote:For anyone who played Geometry Wars galaxies with the classic, does the Direction Pad and Face Button work or is it just the Analog sticks?

Lemme check real quick-like.

edit:
Sorry; only wiimote+nunchuck or analog sticks.

The DS version can use the d-pad and face buttons though. And you can connect your DS to your Wii and download the demo from the Geometry Wars Galaxies menu.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I dont think I've tried using the face buttons, but i have a strong feeling its twin stick only. Personally I prefer the Wii remote controls.