GBA Cart Battery and Bootleg Carts

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: GBA Cart Battery Question.

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hobie-wan wrote:The boot was trying to emulate the cheesiness of the box. But a real one wouldn't squeeze those tiny tiny logos on there, nor would they use a sloppy bottom half of a face that just cuts off either.

Not that the legit box and cart are works of art either, but at least they're just shitty design, not random unreadable logos and cut off artwork.

Also notice that the cart code is completely wrong. If the memory chip in the boot works properly, then a new battery would probably make it save fine. Even looking at your pictures, you can tell that the GB text on the shell is low quality and sticks up too much. See also the racing stripes on the back of the shell. They're shallow on the real POTD and rather deep on the boots.
THANKYOU!

If I ever come across Castlevania Double Pack again in the wild I know what to look for now. A good point of being wary of cutoff pics, bootleg Pinball of the Dead had a cutoff pic too. Strange that the legit version of PotD has such crappy font, a pain to read.

Gamestop has a great return policy, unfortunate they are no longer buying GBA games. If I buy the legit one I can return the bad one in its place, even if over seven days. Justified since I did buy the bootleg version at Gamestop. The irony is years later what if the flash memory does go bad on the legit version? Not an easy fix. At least with the bootleg version I can replace the battery. Oh the headaches of an OCD collector! :oops:

Maybe I should tackle that battery change out in Castlevania.
Would the cart battery last for years, or will it give out in six months?
Okay probably not, but but does the GBA charge the Game Cart battery?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

CRTGAMER wrote:Maybe I should tackle that battery change out in Castlevania.
Would the cart battery last for years, or will it give out in six months?
Okay probably not, but but does the GBA charge the Game Cart battery?

I decent one will last for years as long as it doesn't get abused by baking in a car, getting wet, or the cart isn't extraordinarily crappy. The coin batteries in carts aren't rechargeable.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I added this quote for future reference, a great link!
studentzki wrote:Thanks for your tip, checked google and found this page; http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post ... carts.html

which explains how to identify if the cartridge is genuine.
Will check tonight when I'm home...

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

CRTGAMER wrote:I added this quote for future reference, a great link!
studentzki wrote:Thanks for your tip, checked google and found this page; http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post ... carts.html

which explains how to identify if the cartridge is genuine.
Will check tonight when I'm home...

You can also see the screenprint without having to open up the cartridge by looking in with the cart upside down.

I took this pic for someone I was buying a GBA game from to make sure it was a legit copy.

Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Here is a pic of Castlevania Double Pack and Pinball of the Dead. The bootleg carts are on the left. The Castlevania bootleg cart has a battery inside, the legit cart has flash memory.
Attachments
GBA Castlevania Pinball Dead Bootleg on Left.jpg
GBA Castlevania Pinball Dead Bootleg on Left.jpg (146.07 KiB) Viewed 5579 times

Shadow666

Re: GBA Cart Battery and Bootleg Carts

Post by Shadow666 »

Here is pic of bootleg on the right and legit on the left of Wario land 4

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

^I find it kinda amazing how they bothered to replicate the Nintendo stamp on the board itself, yet went with the crummiest cart label imaginable.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

They still failed. All the bootlegs I have seen with Nintendo inside use the circled Nintendo logo. I haven't checked a lot of carts, but every legit one I have seen just says Nintendo.

I don't understand the label thing, either. It's not that difficult to scan and print the existing label.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Shadow666

Post by Shadow666 »

yea the label came from this and i think its Nintendo made the pic here that is.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts
16-bit

Post by Ghouls 'n Ghosts »

Zing wrote:They still failed. All the bootlegs I have seen with Nintendo inside use the circled Nintendo logo. I haven't checked a lot of carts, but every legit one I have seen just says Nintendo.

My copy of FFVI Advance does have the circled Nintendo logo on it, but it looks thicker than the one used on the bootleg. Sort of like if someone clicked the bold option just before it was printed on the board.