N64 Region Mod guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
fastbilly1
Site Admin

N64 Region Mod guide

Post by fastbilly1 »

I was modding my console before my grandfather passed and thought I would do a write up since I was doing it anyway. It will eventually be moved to the Guides subforum that will be added here as soon as we decide how to manage it - right now it is looking to be only moderators can post topics and have people post guides in other forums and have them moved over. But since this will probably be sometime next week I figured what the heck Ill post it now.

Update: This guide has been published on the main site:
How To Mod The N64 To Play Imports (Region Mod)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: N64 Region Mod guide

Post by Hobie-wan »

I would suggest not using power tools for the screws at all. It's far too easy to strip the heads or the plastic. Better to use a little elbow grease and take it slow rather than ruin the plastic so a screw no longer holds or strip a screw and get it stuck in the deep recess of a well.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nice guide, here's another pic of the US console mod for clarity. No gamebit? If you are careful, can be done in place. watch the plastic shaving buildup doesn't get in the connecter. A Rotozip non pilot tip ⅛ shank Bit will fit the Dremel.

Attachments
N64 Region.jpg
N64 Region.jpg (30.82 KiB) Viewed 9800 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Good point Hobie, it is still very useful if you have a rusted over screw or one that has somehow gone awry.

Never done that one CRT, not confidant enough with my tools to drill out that small of a screw.
crux
128-bit

Post by crux »

I don't think it's necessary to take the console apart, even in regard to safety. I just took to mine with a beaten up, cheap soldering iron (to melt it down) and a Dremel (to sand). The Dremel isn't even necessary, but makes everything look a little prettier. The added benefit to the soldering iron method is that it doesn't leave a gaping hole, not that people are in the habit of staring into the cartridge slot often.

Dremels help a lot with these things though. I took after my Xbox 360 A/V cable with my Dremel, in order to get HDMI video and digital optical audio at the same time (since my old receiver doesn't accept HDMI and Xbox 360's don't give enough room to plug both in). Took a Dremel and ground it all the way down to the metal shielding. Brute force did the trick.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

fastbilly1 wrote:Good point Hobie, it is still very useful if you have a rusted over screw or one that has somehow gone awry.

Never done that one CRT, not confidant enough with my tools to drill out that small of a screw.

No not the screw, simply cutting the region plastic notch in place. Longer cutting bit handy if one doesn't have the specialized Game Bit to take a N64 apart.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I wish there were region mods that could be done on PAL consoles (60hz would be nice) such a dwarfed console.
crux
128-bit

Post by crux »

There are. I haven't researched the matter much, being American, but I know SNES can be modified with a switch for 50 and 60 Hz. I know this because of Terranigma. I know Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, and Neo Geo CD have a 50/60 Hz mod as well. I know this because of Google.

But yeah, N64. The problem lies in the software with that one, so I think the only way to remedy the problem is with software modifications. Let me see what I can find...
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

crux wrote:There are. I haven't researched the matter much, being American, but I know SNES can be modified with a switch for 50 and 60 Hz. I know this because of Terranigma. I know Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, and Neo Geo CD have a 50/60 Hz mod as well. I know this because of Google.

But yeah, N64. The problem lies in the software with that one, so I think the only way to remedy the problem is with software modifications. Let me see what I can find...

I was talking about the N64, all my PAL consoles that can be region/freq modded are, the N64 however, for PAL users have close to no mods. (Not 50/60hz, no region mods (unless you want to hack a ntsc console and it looks complicated as fuck, no RGB, etc). The only way to play NTSC games is with a piggy back adapter, however they are pretty pricey, and still play games @ 50hz.
crux
128-bit

Post by crux »

I know RGB can only be done on the NTSC N64 consoles. I thought that Passport III could do 60 Hz, albeit with some graphical glitches in some games. I remember someone on some forum converting all his games to work with 60 Hz, but I just can't seem to find the link.