What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
KDub
Next-Gen

Re: What single player FPS campaign are you playing?

Post by KDub »

I just started playing Rise of the Triad last night on my Dreamcast. What a weird game....
Fun so far though! The music is awesome, it really gets me into it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ryvius wrote:
the7k wrote:Wow, I've known people who didn't care for Deus Ex - but I've never known anyone to completely hate it. Amazing.

It's one of the only FPSs that I will quite willingly play over and over again. And have played over and over again.

Deus Ex 2, on the other hand...

Same here.

I think the IW hate is a bit overblown... I mean compared to other games out there I don't think it was that bad at all, compared to the original Deus Ex though yeah it's a huge step down but hey, what can you really compare to Deus Ex anyways? lol (alright SS2 comes to mind!)

That said yeah I've probably played the original 10 times through and IW only a few times back when it was newer. I'd love to go through it again here now, but I've heard it's an insane pain in the ass to get running correctly in widescreen, so I'll only bother when I'm ready for that junk.

The problem with IW is all the concessions they made to put it on the Xbox I can forgive smaller levels, and I can forgive them combining multitools and lockpicks. I'm even fine with the reduced number of biomods, as really you'd only have 5 ones that you'd actually use in DX. But the inventory system is terrible (and the interface itself wasn't updated for the PC), the lack of skill points sucks, the universal ammo is busted (look to ME2 for a GOOD system of universal ammo) and there's no location damage, which removes any reason to use the pistol.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

J T wrote:Oh poor Hobie-wan, what has Mr. Popo done to you? Deus Ex is currently your second most played game on Steam (next to Borderlands) and you don't even like it?! Oh dude, you need to just stop playing it if it's not fun for you. You've given it a fair shot.

The playtime is so retardedly long because I keep badgering people who happen to be online when I hit something in the game that makes me want to smash my head into my desk repeatedly. That happens a lot so I get diverted for 20+ minutes while someone is subjected to my whining. Also there have been lots of glitches and things where I've gone back and forth redoing things to see the extent of them. Plus there's time sitting with the the game paused where Steam keeps ticking away while I make notes. But no I got 1 ending Friday night. I'm going to get the others so I can say with absolute authority I hate it.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Hobie, just stop playing, no one cares about the authority to say you hate something. This is the Internet!
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

MrPopo wrote:The problem with IW is all the concessions they made to put it on the Xbox I can forgive smaller levels, and I can forgive them combining multitools and lockpicks. I'm even fine with the reduced number of biomods, as really you'd only have 5 ones that you'd actually use in DX. But the inventory system is terrible (and the interface itself wasn't updated for the PC), the lack of skill points sucks, the universal ammo is busted (look to ME2 for a GOOD system of universal ammo) and there's no location damage, which removes any reason to use the pistol.

Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head for every reason I despise IW. Inventory system was a huge step backwards (like going from Resident Evil 4 to Resident Evil 5 - another case of reverse progression), lack of skill points eliminated one of the bigger selling points of the original, and the universal ammo and "footshot does same damage as headshot" deal were the most asinine things I've ever seen in a FPS.

I can't even see 'consolification' as the excuse behind some of the changes, as they made the game too simple. Angry Birds is more complex.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Haha, wow I honestly can't remember the equal-body damage thing at all. Guess it's been too long. I do easily recall the levels or area's being insanely small though, that really sucked.

Here's an interesting interview with creator Harvey Smith about IW, it basically sounds like a pure trainwreck development wise, so no wonder it was jacked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

And don't even get me started on the downgrade (in every single way) from RE5 to RE4... :evil:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ryvius wrote:Here's an interesting interview with creator Harvey Smith about IW, it basically sounds like a pure trainwreck development wise, so no wonder it was jacked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

In the PAX keynote Warren Spector also made a few comments about how IW got fucked up by their attempt to make it more accessable and the fact that they went too far with that.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Hehe, UT3 coop campaign was fun last night. DS joined up for a few rounds. I pussied out and used the Iron Guard card to get us out of a tough Warfare match. We had a few people join in who were really good. They were racking up kills like a fat kid at a vending machine.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I just finished the Killzone 3 campaign and posted my thoughts here. I really don't understand some of the reviews which pan the plot and the single player, i thought the plot was fun, the characters well realized and voice acted, and the gameplay intense and varied. Anyone else give it a spin yet?