Will Windows 8 be the death of PC gaming?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Will Windows 8 be the death of PC gaming?

Post by emwearz »

Hobie-wan wrote:I posted about it before. Large ugly waste of space. Randomly hide and shuffle things around. Inability to organize things the way I want. Hovering is annoying. I dislike hover menus too as I don't want them to activate simply because I stopped my mouse there.

You can disable all this stuff. I don't like any of the 'leave mouse in corner and something pops up' sort of stuff, so I turn it off.

I have a feeling like most of the stuff that gets on your nerves can be disabled.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

MrPopo wrote:And one thing you aren't concious of is that you, like many people on this site, are of an above-average level of proficiency among regular computer users. I think the statistic is that ~90% of Windows licenses are sold to OEMs - computer manufacturers. The majority of computer users will have used a computer all their life but not approach the level of proficiency that you or I have.

No I know that. I deal with people that aren't computer savvy all the time at work. It just feels like they've sabotaged the balance they've had for a while. Most windows use is in a work environment and I use my home PC in a more business like manner. A tablet interface with giant buttons and gestures useful for touch screens should be an option to turn on, not forced on most people who aren't using it on a tablet.

emwearz wrote:I have a feeling like most of the stuff that gets on your nerves can be disabled.

Maybe so. Though I'll have to deal with it more and more on customer's PCs where I can't do that and I've already dealt with some customers who don't know WTF is going on either.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Windows 8

Post by ZeroAX »

Adam wrote:I'm noticing now that games are being advertised as Windows 8 exclusives. What does that mean?

Link please? Unless they are exclusive to the marketplace, or made by microsoft, I really can't see any developer making win8 exclusive titles.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ZeroAX wrote:
Adam wrote:I'm noticing now that games are being advertised as Windows 8 exclusives. What does that mean?

Link please? Unless they are exclusive to the marketplace, or made by microsoft, I really can't see any developer making win8 exclusive titles.

If it uses DirectX 11.1 or 11.2 then it would be Win8 exclusive.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

MrPopo wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:

If it uses DirectX 11.1 or 11.2 then it would be Win8 exclusive.

I would hate if developers started making Windows 8 exclusives. I have absolutely no desire to install 8 on my Windows 7 gaming desktop.

I have a laptop with Windows 8 (not gaming quality) and I hated the new interface so much I had to download a shell to make it function more like 7.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Win8 exclusive games? Guess what I'm not playing.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Halo: Spartan Assault is apparently Windows 8 exclusive. I've absolutely nothing about this game so that must be working well for them.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

That came out? Oh, yeah, I guess it did.

I'm not entirely sure how well making DX10 Vista exclusive worked out for Microsoft to begin with. Most people waited until 7 and they got this really shattered market share ... so it's strange to see them attempt to do the exact same thing again.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

I don't think we need to worry about publishers that readily put content on stuff like Steam to do much in the way of OS exclusives. At least not until Windows 8 begins having a market share that rivals that of Windows 7, which I don't see happening.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You guys realize that Windows 8 exclusive does not mean Windows Store App, right? The desktop still exists in Windows 8, and as I mentioned the latest versions of DirectX would be a desktop game that requires Windows 8.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.