Video Game "Look what I found"

Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Look what I found"

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hit Bookoff for a few nice goodies. Also received a couple obscure PAL games that I have been looking for, with the generosity of another member; Demented Collector

PS2 Astro Boy - $5.00 Bookoff
This is the older 3d version which I really like. I have mixed feelings on getting the newer 2d "SHMUP" movie version, eventually may do so.

PS2 Samurai Jack - $5.00 Bookoff
A great cartoon series, oh I had to get the game even if it does have poor reviews. Just hearing the actor Mako's voice in a game is worth it. :wink:

The two PS2 games still were sealed. Well, Samurai had the top tape still on, the sign of a collector wanting to keep a game complete as possible and still play by slipping the disc out of the bottom. I have reservations on sealed games, so I always open them right away and "test" them while I still have a way to replace them if defective.

Dreamcast Sports Controller - $7.00 Bookoff
Already own a Dreamcast Sports Edition with matching controller. Nice to get a matching second player controller.
PS2 PAL Air Ranger - Demented Collector
Already own the Japanese version of Air Ranger. I plan on converting this to 60hz to get the English voices and text.

This is THE best Helicopter Sim for the PS2 only surpassed in realism difficulty in game consoles by PS1 RC Stunt Copter. Now to Find Air Ranger 2, supposed to be less difficult to fly, but still a kick due to the two stick mode.
ludwiggame wrote: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/563018-air- ... faqs/17410

To come to an impartial conclusion is very difficult for me: I really did like the straight forward, no nonsense, down to earth and real to life approach of the first Air Ranger game. There is no audience applauding you, you don't have to transport cute and colorful balls. You don't have to fly through the seemingly inevitable rings. Your job is not really flashy or dramatic - it is a thing SOMEBODY has to do.

BUT, it has to be done professionally: You need skills and experience.

One scene in the original game can explain this much better than I can do: After you got the eighth guy from the sinking ship in the first of the 'White Cliff' missions, Bob sneezes during the flight 'home' and says: "Brrr, that WAS cold, I wonder if there are any showers over there..." That is a kind of modest reward for a guy, who picked eight people from a ship, hanging at the end of a rope, being tossed around by a mediocre pilot like your humble author is one!

GBA Alien Hominid - Amazon UK via Demented Collector
Very very generous of Demented Collector really went out of the way to order this game from Amazon UK and then reship it to me for a nominal amount. Though cut down compared to the disc versions, it has an exclusive mini game. Beaming up the Men In Black and dropping them inside the wood chipper, now where did I see that before? Great portable GBA game that plays, looks and sounds as good as the console versions. :D
http://www.cubed3.com/news/5031/

Quite simply the amount of animation involved is astounding, and we just couldn't quite fit everything in. To do the game justice we realised that we had to leave out one or two levels from the original, as well as the odd boss. The benefit was that this allowed us to ensure that the content present in the final version was very close to that on the GameCube.

We added the Chipper section as a mini game. We thought it was such a cool toy, that it deserved to be promoted to a game in its own right. We also added some variations on existing bosses as well.

DVD Sukiyaki Django - $10.00 Bookoff
The Steelbook Case edition, a nice collectable. I got mixed up thinking this movie was the Korean flick The Good, The Bad and The Weird. Ah well, looks like a keeper for repeat viewings, both movies play homage to the Sergio Leonne movies. Funny that this Japanese movie takes a full circle back from Fistful of Dollars which in itself was inspired by Kurosawa's Yojimbo. Looking forward to watching this tonight. :mrgreen:

Steelbook Info: http://collectorsedition.org/1028/sukiy ... t-update-1

DVD Once Upon A Time In The West - $3.00 Bookoff :shock:
I have the Laser Disc version of this great western. Bought for the upgrade to DVD and the Extras on the second disc. A more in depth story compared to the big three Eastwood movies, truly a classic. Looking forward to hearing that Harmonica again, maybe a double marathon western night on the big screen. :idea:
Wiki wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_the_West

Fonda did not accept Leone's first offer to play Frank, so Leone flew to New York to convince him, telling him: "Picture this: the camera shows a gunman from the waist down pulling his gun and shooting a running child. The camera tilts up to the gunman's face and...it's Henry Fonda." After meeting with Leone, Fonda called his friend Eli Wallach, who advised him to do the film, as "You will have the time of your life."

When he accepted the role, Fonda came to the set with brown contacts and facial hair. Fonda felt having dark eyes and facial hair would blend well with his character's evil and also help the audience to accept this "new" Fonda as the bad guy, but Leone immediately told him to remove the contacts and facial hair. Leone felt that Fonda's blue eyes best reflected the cold, icy nature of the killer. It was one of the first times in a western film where the villain would be played by the lead actor.

Attachments
0 Video Games 11-12-12.jpg
0 Video Games 11-12-12.jpg (232.75 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Demented Collector
32-bit

Post by Demented Collector »

^ You're welcome CRT :D

Recently boot sale withdrawl disorder has really sunk in :(

I decided to visit the closest one to home on the way back from work yesterday :)

Not many sellers were present, most being the regular top priced one, very little was found :(

Donkey Kong NES Classics, complete
Mario Paint with Mouse
Red GBA SP, lots of wear to the outside
Diddy Kong Racing
£16 for all
62 in 1 cart for GBA £3

Earlier at work my colleague complained that the public bin he emptied outside Cash Converters, British pawn shop, weighed a ton :idea:

Fishing the bag off the back of the truck I found 2 old sky boxes and these...

Both have drive issues but are good for spares or hard disc modding 8)
Demented Collecters Sale Thread - viewtopic.php?f=22&p=658495#p658495 [/quote]

UK based, willing to ship world wide.

Atari 2600 junior, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Master System MKI MKII, Mega Drive MKI MKII, Mega CD MKI MKII, Saturn MKI MKII, Dreamcast PAL, NTSC/U, NTSC/J, PS1, PSone, PS2, PS3, oXBOX, Lynx, Game Gear, GBP, GBC, GBA, SP, Micro.
johnblade
32-bit

Post by johnblade »

Not really game but it's still a good deal still.

Got this massive bundle from my local Goodwill for $68 dollars. Look like someone was selling they entire Anime collection. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get them all (didn't have enough cash to buy all of them) but I get the one I have fond memories with.

Love Hina Anime Series
Love Hina Special and OVA Again
Macross (Original ADV version not the Robotech format) (2-7 DVD is still seal)
GunBuster 2
IRIA
Southern Cross
Genesis Climber Mospeada
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Star Wars Rouge Leader
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

^ One of those things is not like the other... :)

Nice haul!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

CRTGAMER wrote:PS2 Astro Boy - $5.00 Bookoff
This is the older 3d version which I really like. I have mixed feelings on getting the newer 2d "SHMUP" movie version, eventually may do so.

How are the Astro Boy games? After playing the sublime Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA), I have been tempted to pick them up - even knowing that they are nothing like the GBA game. (I also try to pick up as many "2D" games as I can for the PS2 and Wii, and I would be particularly interested in hearing whether the Astro Boy move tie-in is worth picking up for either console.)

CRTGAMER wrote:DVD Once Upon A Time In The West - $3.00 Bookoff :shock:
I have the Laser Disc version of this great western. Bought for the upgrade to DVD and the Extras on the second disc. A more in depth story compared to the big three Eastwood movies, truly a classic. Looking forward to hearing that Harmonica again, maybe a double marathon western night on the big screen. :idea:

Great find. That movie is incredible...easily my favorite "spaghetti" western.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

johnblade wrote:Macross
Southern Cross
Genesis Climber Mospeada

Good haul on the original stuff as opposed to the Robotech edit mashups.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:How are the Astro Boy games? After playing the sublime Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA), I have been tempted to pick them up - even knowing that they are nothing like the GBA game. (I also try to pick up as many "2D" games as I can for the PS2 and Wii, and I would be particularly interested in hearing whether the Astro Boy move tie-in is worth picking up for either console.)
The older 3d version is pretty good, though some do not like it. A sort of 50s future vision affect when exploring the city, the boss battles are not bad either. I do not have the newer PS2 Astro Boy Movie tie in, but from everything I have seen, it appears to be an enhanced 2d version of the GBA game.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:DVD Once Upon A Time In The West - $3.00 Bookoff :shock:
Great find. That movie is incredible...easily my favorite "spaghetti" western.
I watched both the Westerns last night. Samurai Django is pure crap, don't know why it had good reviews. Luckily, I watched Once Upon West afterwards, really a great movie. The DVD does justice over the Laser Disc with the 5.1 soundtrack enhancement. The Sergio movie is so good, watched thru part of it again with the commentary track on. The narrater seemed very philosophical, drawing metaphors for every scene. A lot of it made sense such as the camera zoom representing the harmonica being placed or the comparison of the railroad bringing technology and driving the gunfighter off to the sunset.

Hobie-wan wrote:
Bookoff has the Macross series as well as a Remaster of Robotech. I was tempted to pick up the remaster since more episodes are in each volume to save on shelf space. Maybe multiple discs in each case with the lost footage? I own the Laser Disc Movie version of Macross and it is certainly different from the Robotech series with the Japanese language and story line.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

CRTGAMER wrote:Samurai Django is pure crap, don't know why it had good reviews.

Booooooo

Sakiyuki Western Django kicks ass.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Hobie-wan wrote:
Southern Cross
Genesis Climber Mospeada

:shock:

*drool...........................*
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Breetai wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:
Southern Cross
Genesis Climber Mospeada

:shock:

*drool...........................*

I wonder how the ADV release compares to the original AnimEigo one. I still haven't gotten around to watching mine. :?