Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Finds of the Day"

Post by CRTGAMER »

More Game Picks
Another CRTGAMER Rant of the Day

Simon Carabiner Edition - Christmas Present
Already own the larger original 1978 Simon, Super Simon and Simon 2 Miniature. Carabiner Simon is labeled as Limited Gameplay, it means there is only one increasing difficult level. No Last, Longest or Game Level buttons, but the main game is here. Unlike Simon 2, it has sounds and lights that replicate the original. I'll have to update the Simon review in the Portable Guide with all the incarnations I'm starting to collect.

Portable Systems Guide: viewtopic.php?f=52&p=481526#p481526

Simon Carabiner Edition.jpg
Simon Carabiner Edition.jpg (199.54 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

Star Wars Behind The Magic - $4.74 Amazon Shipped
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Behind-Magic-Insiders-pc/dp/B0009K3D9Q
Okay not a game, but it does install in a PC. Its 1997 again or Windows 95! Bought still sealed, busted open the shrink wrap and breathed in air preserved from the last Century. Thanks to Dude and dsheinem posts I had to rebuy this. I installed this a long long time ago in a far away PC. Happy to report it works in WinXP when set to WIN95 compatibility mode, alas not in WIN7 64 bit. There is a program that will extract video from another Lucas Arts game Grim Fandango, might work Star Wars Magic too. Ideally I'll see if there is an update 64 bit compatible installer and run file. Any Star Wars nut should have a copy, can get it cheap at Amazon. Nice to obtain this inexpensive maybe a future collectible for the exclusive though rough video footage. All kinds of pics, video and info from the original three Star Wars movies. Biggs is seen with Luke in the rare footage. :mrgreen:

Right Click to view the full image.

Star Wars Behind The Magic.jpg
Star Wars Behind The Magic.jpg (223.54 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

Gamecube 251 Memory card - $5.00 Swap Meet
Swap Meets are the best deals! Gamestop sells this for $19.99 used. I already have one of each Grey 59 original Animal Crossing, Black 251 and White 1019 cards. Also have a few aftermarket cards as well including a bulky 32x unreliable 3rd party. Always nice to get another 1st party memory card on the cheap. First order of business as in ALL my Gamecube cards, a backup of the Code Entry Action Replay boot file, a mix of different versions with SDLoad Codes saved. :D

2600 Zircon Video Command - $6.00 Swap Meet
Something interesting plugged at the end included!

Okay this has been mix reviewed as a marginal Atari 2600 aftermarket controller that I had to discover all over again. There is a historical aspect of owning this Joystick. The very first cart based console was the Fairchild Channel F with the same originally designed joystick. I had one of the original plastic "pistol handle" Channel F controllers, but could never get it to work on my 2600 years and years ago. A novelty in design as well as the twist paddle built into the knob at the top. I got a very pleasant surprise when I tested the odd Joystick. The short easy throw of the stick is accurate in hitting directions.

CRTGAMER wrote:I have yet to re-find a Lestick also a bicycle handle Joystick novelty, it had Mercury switches inside to check the motion tilt. Gee, that concept for a kids video game accessory might not meet OSHA approval and be marketed today. :lol:

The Video Command does not have a paddle function, but thankfully the Fire Button is at the base, not tied into pushing down the top movement knob as in the original Channel F Joystick. An interesting design and more ergonomic then the original 2600 versions of the day though an inaccurate joystick. But look closely at the Video Command Joystick, what is plugged into the end. No, not the YCable but the rectangular module. A Rapid Fire PointMaster Fire Control by Discwasher! The seller pulled it off a Discwasher brand Joystick and threw in as a very nice bonus. A Turbo Rapid Fire module to work with ALL my 2600 joysticks!

The 2600 has a simple schematic of individual wires to the console for all the digital buttons. A shame newer controllers with chip controlled PCBs cannot have a universal Turbo add on plug like this. I already own a PointMaster Fire Control buried soooomewhere in a box. Well, this one is staying with the Atari 7800 hooked up in the other room. So I will not lose this one, it will stay plugged in the odd shaped Zircon Joystick when not in use. Now where is my Genesis controller and Empire Strikes Back cart, lets hope I don't fry something. Research, research, research hmmmmm. 8)

I tested out the PointMaster Fire Control, I had to use a YCable to fit the thick module in the 7800 Joyport. I imagine the 2600 JR may have a similar clearance issue. The Y cable also makes for an easier swap between controllers, leaving the Turbo Module in one plug. I found it works great on certain games, marginal on others and some lose fire control. Basically any game that can do rapid fire when tapping the Fire button fast will benefit with it. The Genesis GamePad with 2600 games is not compatible with the PointMaster. Some 7800 games work, others get disabled. I was disappointed that Gauntlet look alike 7800 Dark Chambers lost fire capability. Some games that improved include 2600 Asteroids, 2600 Empire Strikes Back and 7800 Joust. Asteroids especially is a real charm to play with rapid fire.
Attachments
2600 Zircon Video Command - Gamecube 251 Memory Card.jpg
2600 Zircon Video Command - Gamecube 251 Memory Card.jpg (225.51 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

CRTGAMER wrote:I do not think it matters if what is perceived to be a common game or one at not a great price.

I am having trouble getting through this grammar fail, but I take it to mean "just post whatever you find". We have specific threads/sub forums elsewhere for posting the games you purchase throughout the year, for posting any perceived deals you've discovered, and for posting your collection. You aren't the only or worst offender, but you do have a habit of posting things that you picked up at GameStop for the current sale price (with giant pictures to boot). It adds to the chore of sifting through this thread to find truly phenomenal things that would almost universally be considered an impressive find (such as your post about the Vectrex lot).

Maybe someone might not know of a game and made aware on this Thread.

That's not the point of this thread either. We have a ton of subforums where people can talk about games in particular genres, for specific systems, etc.

I don't care if a common game, I just like reading and posting about gaming. Hats off to anyone who posts any find and throws in a few words about it.

With the level of detail and attention you put into your posts, you should really consider getting a blog in 2012 to organize your thoughts how you see fit. RFGen is a great place that a lot of us use, and your ideas can reach a decent audience there (more than in a forum). The point is that this isn't really the thread to post about common games or the keychain that you got for Christmas than can be picked up by anyone on Amazon for $15.

Part of the interest to me is how the game was obtained. :D

I agree, when the story is good and leads to something phenomenal. "I clicked links" or "I drove to the store" or "I got for my birthday" are, by themselves, not good stories.

Again, I am not meaning to single you out, but I used to really like this thread and now posts like the majority of the ones we've had over the past six months or so are making it a pain in the ass to sludge through.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

dsheinem wrote:Again, I am not meaning to single you out, but I used to really like this thread and now posts like the majority of the ones we've had over the past six months or so are making it a pain in the ass to sludge through.

Threads are a chore to read? Not for me, any gaming post is worth a look. As for the Simon Keychain, yes anyone can get one. However some may not know about it and might be interested. Some may not care for an old 2600 post either, but any productive post that does not demean others adds life to the forum.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

CRTGAMER wrote:any gaming post is worth a look...but any productive post that does not demean others adds life to the forum.

I don't disagree with any of this, I just feel that the title of the thread should reflect the content. This thread used to be about 3/4 genuinely interesting and exceptional finds, and about 1/4 ho-hum stuff. That ratio has been flipped (at best).
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

Post by Onyxthecat »

CIB Black label Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage - $3
Not gaming related but cool anyway. CIB and new 1962 P-40 Warhawk Model airplane kit. - $3
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I agree that this thread has mostly devolved into people's weekly shopping lists and I pretty much glaze through it now too. It seems that a lot of people probably do this based on how infrequently others reply with a "Holy crap that's awesome!" post. That's what this thread should be about, finding rare/cool/amazingly priced stuff. Not just a dump of everything people bought.

CRT, if you want to spread exposure about something, make a blog like others have and link it in your sig, a (single) blog thread here that you add stuff to, or post reviews in the review section. Only post it once, don't copy it into 2 or 3 places.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Onyxthecat wrote: Not gaming related but cool anyway. CIB and new 1962 P-40 Warhawk Model airplane kit. - $3

Those go in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27105
TheClassicVideoGamer
16-bit

Post by TheClassicVideoGamer »

Doesn't finds of the day just mean finds of the day? It isn't called godly finds or rare finds.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

TheClassicVideoGamer wrote:Doesn't finds of the day just mean finds of the day? It isn't called godly finds or rare finds.

if you read the first several months of pages, they are almost all excellent and unusual finds...this is the trend for the majority of this thread over the first 2 years. This past year, it became a "what did you pick up?" thread. A "find", historically in the thread, was something you'd actually worked to discover or been fortunate to stumble into, not something you picked up because it was in an advertised sale or because you had gift cards to spend.

In the first year or so of the thread when people posted more "standard" pick ups it was somewhat excusable as there was no place else to do it...but we've had a deals subforum and a thread to list purchases for over a year now.

I'm not opposed to renaming the thread, if you think that'd help.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

How about a "What was your last video game-related purchase?" thread?