Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Xeogred »

Bone loves Unlimited SaGa...

All this SaGa talk, The Last Remnant needs more love.

Juan Aguacate wrote:Final Fantasy XV

Square Enix does it again. Somehow they keep hitting new lows with FF

FF XV is the new black sheep of this franchise. Yes, it's WORSE than Final Fantasy XIII

* Combat system is possibly the worst in the entire series
* Music is mediocre
* Story is garbage
* Chapter 13 is the single worst dungeon I have ever played through in a modern Final Fantasy game. It's this never ending, ridiculously fucking long, repetitive dungeon that tries to be Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil all mushed together with shitty stealth sections and Resident Evil style save/rest rooms and an annoying RE style monster stalking you along with RE style corpses grabbing your legs when you walk by. There are not enough expletives for the heaping, stinking, pile of garbage that is this chapter. It's Final Fantasy trying so hard to NOT be Final Fantasy
* Some of the worst boss fights in Final Fantasy history. The main story line boss battles are garbage. They are style over substance with the game trying to be "cinematic" rather than giving you well designed, challenging bosses

The only good things about the game are really minor like the fun fishing mini game. Or the camraderie between the main characters. Though the story is so shit that it doesn't really matter by the end of the game. There are some cool characters in FF XV, but the story doesn't use them well. And it's sad that the fishing mini game is more fun than the game's actual combat.

This game fucking sucks. This franchise is just digging itself deeper with every new installment
Had to highlight the truth. :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)

George Costanza had Frogger. I had Mario Bros.... This is the "pizza parlor" arcade game of my youth. Countless quarters were spent, and the NES port eventually became one of my most frequent rentals.

Being such an old game, various ports of Mario Bros. were created for non-Nintendo systems. This particular Atari 2600 version is quite challenging, and when I popped it in last night I wasn't planning on beating it (defined as completing level 14, it loops after that). I had never done so before, and I had a three-year-old climbing all over me. But the fates aligned and I wound up expiring in level 17.

This is a single-screen platformer. Unlike Donkey Kong, the goal isn't to reach the top of each stage but to vanquish all the enemies. Since Mario and Luigi (player 2) aren't "Super" here yet they can't defeat enemies by jumping on them. Instead they must be hit from below, which will stun them. Then they must be kicked off the screen within a certain allotted time frame, lest they regain consciousness. There's a variety of enemies here. Turtles lumber along slowly and mindlessly. Crabs are faster and need to be hit twice to become stunned. Fireflies aren't particularly fast, but they jump and thus can only be bashed when they're in contact with a platform. Then there are the ice floes who don't need to be taken out to complete a stage, but will melt and and make platforms slippery if they're not defeated. Thankfully, these are destroyed just from a single hit, they don't need to be kicked offscreen. Finally, there's an invincible fireball that spawns on the side of screen periodically and moves horizontally.

Enemies spawn out of pipes at the top of the screen and eventually "loop" if not defeated - entering pipes at the bottom will cause them to reemerge at the top. Mario and Luigi can do their own sort of looping. Like Popeye, you can run off one side of the screen to emerge at the other. The P.O.W. block makes its first appearance here. Hitting it will stun enemies, though it disappears after a few uses and only reemerges several stages later. Coins are plentiful and extra lives are granted after certain point values are reached.
Mario Bros. is fast, frantic, and an absolute blast to play. There's always the perfect amount of "stuff" onscreen; not too simplistic but not overwhelming either. As this is an Atari port there are various "modes" of play. Mode 1 is a one-player game with the most balanced difficulty. I highly recommend trying out the two-player modes as well, as this is a game that becomes exponentially more enjoyable with another person. You can choose to team up or act as an adversary, bumping the other player around and claiming the spoils for yourself.

The graphics here are pretty good, for Atari standards, and I enjoy the sound effects (especially the footsteps) and infrequent music. The biggest issue - and the reason why this port is inferior to others - is the jumping controls. The proportions feel off. In certain areas it's much harder to jump over enemies (compared to the arcade original and NES port) and instead you have to run out of the way instead, which is much more awkward. Landing on platforms isn't always easy, as the game has those weird imprecise Ice Climber style jumps. The game isn't exactly fair about respawning after death either. Sometimes Mario will reappear right on top of enemy, which results in an instant death. Additionally, at the start of any given stage the fireball can spawn directly to Mario's left. I don't think there's anyway to avoid this (you can turn off the fireballs completely though). Summation: expect some cheap deaths.

Overall, I enjoy this. But it's markedly inferior to the NES port (which is also found on the GBA, e-Reader, and Virtual Console btw). Of course there's always this too:

If you're an Atari and ports junkie like me though, yeah, check this one out.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

That is still not as epic as the Genesis tower.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I suppose that's true...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That's the original Hadron Collider.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
2. Sara Is Missing (Android)

I don't even remember how or why I got this game, but Sara Is Missing (or "SIM") is an interesting visual novel x interactive fiction x full motion video game hybrid thing. Basically, you found a phone of a girl who has gone missing and with the help of IRIS (think Alexa or Siri or um OK Google...?) you have to poke around her phone and comb through her texts, emails, photos, videos, memos, contacts and even converse with IRIS. It's a short and oddly compelling game. The ending is... I don't know, alright. But I get the feeling that it's a game you can replay to see different things depending how you approach it. And actually it does a good job of making you feel like you're really using someone's phone... I actually was startled a couple times when an (in-game) incoming call interrupted what I was doing. Recommended if you have an hour to kill and want to see a pretty unique mobile game.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:1. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
2. Sara Is Missing (Android)

I don't even remember how or why I got this game, but Sara Is Missing (or "SIM") is an interesting visual novel x interactive fiction x full motion video game hybrid thing. Basically, you found a phone of a girl who has gone missing and with the help of IRIS (think Alexa or Siri or um OK Google...?) you have to poke around her phone and comb through her texts, emails, photos, videos, memos, contacts and even converse with IRIS. It's a short and oddly compelling game. The ending is... I don't know, alright. But I get the feeling that it's a game you can replay to see different things depending how you approach it. And actually it does a good job of making you feel like you're really using someone's phone... I actually was startled a couple times when an (in-game) incoming call interrupted what I was doing. Recommended if you have an hour to kill and want to see a pretty unique mobile game.

Noise this looks right up my alley! Also to note, there are some World of Darkness games on phone that are of a similar fashion set in both Mage and Vampire that both came out recently. Thanks for the heads up here!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Resident evil code veronica

So instead of waiting and fix the TV i have lying around on my room for the last 6 months i just said SCREW IT and finally played Code Veronica on Dolphin last weekend. First i have to say that emulator, version 5.0, is amazing i cant believe i could run the game on my laptop at a steady framerate (there were only random dips on loading zones).

Now the game itself... is alright, i get the chance to play it on a dreamcast emulator years ago but never got to finish disk 1. Im not sure if im just more familiar with the other titles or on CV you backtrack way more than in the other games. If i remember correctly i had to grab an item on the far side of a underwater facility... just to go back to the main mansion and use it to open just one or two doors... this process repeated itself multiple times and about 4 or 5 times i got stuck because i knew where i had to go but i could not find the goddamn room on that mess of a map.

Also i feel that CV is completly an action game now, didnt feel the atmosphere from the older games in it, now the mutations and villians either have psychic powers or they can ninja jump from walls. I think i put it on the same level as 3, i do enjoy the game but i dont see myself replaying this one as much like resi 2.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I would still say RE3 is way more action honestly.

But yeah... backtracking is crazy in CV.
marurun

Post by marurun »

1. Axiom Verge (Windows/Steam)
2. Fire Emblem Heroes (iOS/no IAP)
3. Fire Emblem Heroes - Hard, Lunatic, and beyond: late game content

I already posted my FE Heroes impressions after beating the Normal campaign mode, but as expected of a freemium game, the game goes on, and it turns out that the game changes quite a bit as it does. Here are my impressions from beating Hard, making some early headway in Lunatic, and playing some higher level training tower missions.

FE Heroes is in so many ways a typical freemium game. You have 50 stamina points that slowly regenerate, and each mission costs stamina to play. Higher level missions cost more stamina to attempt. At lower levels this isn't a problem because there's more than enough stamina. But at higher levels, it can cost a third of your stamina to play a level. That raises the stakes for loosing the battle quite a bit. Further, higher level characters take a lot more experience, slowing level progression quite a bit. You remember how characters who die in battle don't keep any experience they earned? Well, that doesn't help. So you have to fight many more battles to level up, putting a real squeeze on your stamina supply. And that also raises the consequences for failure and death.

And you'll do a lot more dying. In addition to named heroes, the game has generic troops of every type. These generic troops seem to be able to be assigned powers and skills at random. This means you may go into a level thinking you have covered all your bases only to discover a random enemy soldier has massively high stats for his level and a skill that makes him immune to the advantage you thought you had (yes, this has actually happened to me). There's no way you can truly be prepared for these random events. You will inevitably find yourself in a battle where there is one opponent you can only seem to do 2 or 3 damage to with your strongest character. This can create a mess, as this randomly generated powerhouse tears through your troops while you bite your nails hoping you can take him down and get at least one character some experience. At lower levels this kind of randomness is a lot less fatal, but at higher levels you can get utterly crushed without any way of anticipating what you were up against.

On top of this is the cruelty of the random stat bonuses at level-up. You can have an otherwise great character and then just keep getting level-ups with only 1 or 2 stats boosted. In the early game it isn't so bad, but by late game those randomly generated enemy mooks can have wide ranges of stats, and some end up with some godlike numbers.

This aggravates the other freemium aspect of the game, the gashapon aspect. For those who aren't familiar with gashapon, it's basically those capsule machines where you put in your money and it spits out a plastic capsule with a toy or doodad in it. Most are cheap, but a few are really rare or valuable. When you summon, you get characters of varied rarity, and that rarity affects not only the likelihood of better stat gains at level up, but better starting equipment and skills. A 5 star character will start with a much stronger weapon and better innate abilities than a 3 star character. But you can still get shafted on level-up when it comes to stat gains. And when you promote lower value characters to higher star ratings, they don't automatically gain the new equipment or abilities. You have to buy it with SP. So don't promote immediately at level 20 or you'll still end up falling behind due to not having adequate SP to buy the necessary upgrades.

There's also the problem of over-powered characters. Fire Emblem has some neat abilities for combat, but because lower star characters don't have access to the best abilities or stat gains, only the highest-star characters will truly become self-sufficient on the battlefield. And some rare abilities can make certain characters very difficult to overcome. Random enemy soldiers, as mentioned above, can sometimes turn up with powerful combinations, but there are some preset ones. The two current game-dominating characters are young Tiki and Takumi. Both these characters have very solid stats and abilities that help negate their weaknesses, meaning they become game-changers IF you can get them. But they're both 5-star, so you have to get really lucky or summon your butt off.

tl;dr
Fire Emblem Heroes's biggest problems are the interplay between the freemium aspects of stamina and gashapon and the effects of randomness - in level-up, in gashapon summoning, and in random enemy configurations - on game difficulty and balance. At lower levels you always have enough stamina, and characters are relatively easy to level up, and even 2 and 3-star characters can be useful in battles. Once you hit the higher levels, only 4 and 5-stars are viable, poor level-up boosts can neuter an otherwise powerful 4-star character, enemies can generate with randomly overpowered abilities and stats, experience gain is much more grindy and difficult, and the penalties of losing are much more painful.

For free players, the normal campaign is great, and the road to level 20 is pretty fun. After level 20 and halfway through the Hard campaign, things take a turn, and if you want to stay an effective free player you need to be cutthroat and lucky. Or you need to spend money and summon like nobody's business. Takumi or young Tiki could show up right at the next summon... Otherwise, prepare to be frustrated.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.