Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Fragems »

Turok Evolution was great I sunk many hours into the PS2 version as a kid. Game had some ultraviolence with the dismemberment and I may have spent way to much time hacking/shooting the limbs off things :lol: . Only thing I didn't care for was the flying sections which were passable but not that fun after a while.

The reboot Turok on the 360/PS3/PC on the other hand felt like generic FPS garbage and as much as I wanted to like it I've only made it 2-3 levels in each time I've started it.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)

11. Ristar (GEN)

I completed Ristar on the Sega Gensis this evening.

When it comes to the Genesis, I grew up with Sonic 2. That was the game I got with the system and the one I remember the most. However, it took me decades to finally beat that damn game. With nostalgia in my eyes, I still held Sonic 2 in such a high esteem along with the Sonic Team. I also realized that they could be very mean and unforgiving when it comes to their games.

With Ristar, you get the good and the bad from them. It was developed by the Sonic Team after all of the Sonic games had been released on the Genesis. Ristar has all the same tropes that you expect from a Sonic Team game on the Genesis. The music is top notch. The game is split into chapters with two levels per chapter and a boss at the end of each chapter. The music is fantastic and the game is very innovative.

However, you get all of the bad stuff as well. The final boss is incredibly infuriating. Your character feels weak at points in the game and the controls can be a bit stiff.

But, the frustrating parts only hamper the game. The endearing and enjoyable parts far outweigh the bad. I love the little touches in the game like Ristar doing things for each level if you don't move him for a while. For example, he builds a snowman in the snow level and snaps his fingers in the music level. The game is full of charm and is incredibly cute.

Overall, besides some gripes, Ristar is an enjoyable experience. If you enjoy Sonic games or unique platformers, Ristar is worth a try. It is enjoyable, colorful and has a very unique premise to him.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I love Ristar. Definitely one of my favorite Genesis platformers, and I like it more than the series that it shares DNA with.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I found Ristar equally charming and frustrating.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Markies wrote:Ristar is an enjoyable experience.

If you're in the mood for more Ristar, the Game Gear version possesses different level design and gameplay mechanics. It's not just a watered down port.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Damm64 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I never played much of Conquers Bad Fur Day either and I hear the 360 remaster actually censored and downgraded some stuff?

The remake is on the original xbox and yes it was actually censored and altereded in various sections. The most notable being the the great mighty poo song was censored with fart noises while the N64 version has none of that. Could never beat it, they broke one section of the game where you have to race while surfing on lava, on the remake if you hit anything,lets say a tiny part of a wall, while you are pressing the boost speed you will die, in the N64 version you could take a few hits while going at high speed.

Interesting. I fucking loathed that section and it's on par with the racing section on Mafia 1. Must have taken like 30 tries until i was finally able to get through with it.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Exhuminator wrote:
Markies wrote:Ristar is an enjoyable experience.

If you're in the mood for more Ristar, the Game Gear version possesses different level design and gameplay mechanics. It's not just a watered down port.

I saw that! I saw that the game is a little bit different than the original, though some of the level designs where very similar. I don't have a Game Gear or a way to play Game Gear games, but that looked really unique.

noiseredux wrote:I found Ristar equally charming and frustrating.

Sarge wrote:I love Ristar. Definitely one of my favorite Genesis platformers, and I like it more than the series that it shares DNA with.

It does have its frustrating moments, I will give you that. Especially during the end of the game as the final boss can be quite brutal, but there are other times when your character feels rather weak because of his one attack.

Overall, I think the charm outweighed the frustration. It is a unique title that is still enjoyable to play. It is a good and unique platformer for its day.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Kuruwin wrote:
Interesting. I fucking loathed that section and it's on par with the racing section on Mafia 1. Must have taken like 30 tries until i was finally able to get through with it.

That racing mission on mafia made me rage quit the whole game. I recently found out that they patched the game so you can skip that mission. I should have played that version instead.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

1. Captain Toad (WiiU)
2. Lost: Via Domus (PS3)
3. Modnation Racers (PS3)
4. Tron: Evolution (PS3)
5. Dead Rising (PC)
6. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
7. Yoshi’s Wooly World (Wii U)
8. Stanley Parable (PC)
9. Lone Wolf: Flight From the Dark (Android)
10. Lone Wolf: Fire on the Water (Android)
11. Lone Wolf: The Caverns of Kalte (Android)

12. Lone Wolf: The Chasm of Doom (Android)
13. Lone Wolf: Shadow on the Sand (Android)
14. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Lone Wolf Books - Let's be brief... like with my previous Games Beaten post, the Lone Wolf series is a chose your own adventure RPG hybrid. Not much has changed from previous iterations outside of plot. With Chasm of Doom, you are sent out to investigate a missing cavalry unit scouting the borders of your kingdom, only to find them victim of a band of religious zealots from the kingdom of Vassagonia who are trying to resurrect a dark lord and destroy your land.

In Shadow on the Sand, the Kingdom of Vassagonia wanted to make clear that they had no official part in the cults doings and wanted to sign a peace treaty with your kingdom to prove so, but asked that you be present for the signing. As you arrive, you find out their ruler has died and a more malignant replacement wants you dead. They signed a deal with the dark lords who attacked your kingdom in the first few books and are looking for an ancient book from your holy order that is buried somewhere in the desert. You escape their grasp, meet with old friends and recover the book!

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - What can be said that has not already been said? This game is spectacular. The enormity of the map would strike fear in a player with ideas of monotony or boredom, but that is not so. There is always something catching your eye... peaking your interest and forcing you ever further to unravel the beauty of the experience. What is so magical is that at the moments I started to feel in a groove, the game would introduce new elements, or new experiences that brought me up to a higher tier of game play.

If you felt you mastered combat, you will come across new enemies that change things up. Think you understand your powers? Here are new puzzles that make you think in a variety of ways. To put it quite simply, I have watched three people other than myself play this game and every single one of them approached problems with completely different methods and that is magical. I do not want to go into great detail of specifics, as the game should not be spoiled for those interested. This is not the ranting of a fan boy, but the ranting of a man who has played games for the entirety of his life. It does new and exciting things. It is change and it is good.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)

12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

I completed Conker's Bad Fur Day on the Nintendo 64 this evening!

Oh boy......

This might fall into the 'Unpopular Gaming Opinions' Thread, but Conker's Bad Fur Day is an awful game. Absolutely terrible.

It has some really unique ideas and the writing is quite clever in some spots. I'm a sucker for British accents, language and humor, so that was quite enjoyable personally.

From a game design perspective, I have come to realize that Rare are sadists. Every single game they create, they want the player to suffer. They never make any decision that benefits the player. It's all about screwing them over.

See, Conker is a platformer that is made up of these context sensitive buttons and when you hit one, you can do something unique. When the game works properly and you do what the programmer wants you to do, it works perfectly. It looks great. However, that doesn't happen. If you screw up, which happens a lot, it becomes incredibly hard and does nothing but screw the player over.

Every interesting idea is hampered by mean game design. Every interesting choice is throttled by evil programmers.

With long chapters, little checkpoints, strange camera angles, imprecise jumping, frustrating enemies and just annoying characters, it is not that fun to play.

And the crudeness? Back in the day, for teenagers, I bet the game was hilarious. Nowadays, it's juvenile. The game's humor boils down to some child discovering the ability to say naughty words. It's just crass for being crass.

Banjo-Kazooie was frustrating and annoying when I played it. However, there was charm to it, the game was innovative and the game seemed fair. Conker is just crude, annoying and without any charm.

It is NOT worth the $80 that it is going for. The thought of trading it in crossed my mind several times while playing it. I would only play it if you are a diehard Rare fan or love 3D platformers. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble and avoid at all costs.