Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Xeogred »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Anyone who actually has the patience to beat F-Zero GX is worthy of some praise, no matter what the motive for beating it might've been.

That, and how about Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer? I think that game had 3,000 levels. Never finished it and the difficulty kept skyrocketing from what I remember.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 9

January (9 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26

9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26

This is the Resident Evil game for which fans have been waiting for over a decade. Not since Resident Evil 4 in 2005 has a Resident Evil game been this damn good, and not since Resident Evil: Code Veronica in 2000 has a Resident Evil game been this damn scary. Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS came pretty close in terms of quality and fear IMO, but this is the reboot and revitalization that the series needed. It's also the vote of confidence that virtual reality technology needed.

The game is set in 2017 in a bayou in southern Louisiana. Generic protagonist Ethan Winters gets a cryptic message from his wife who's been missing for three years, so he travels to Cajun Country in search of his beloved Mia. When he finds her locked in a prison cell that HAS to violate some international treaty all Law and Order SVU style, shit starts to get weird (and I mean, seriously, how else could things get? Nothing gets normal when you start with an underground torture dungeon). You soon meet the Baker family, a lovely family of South Louisiana's unique flavor of redneck. Well, they're lovely except for the whole actually being hideous neigh-immortal monstrosities, but that's pretty standard stuff for Resident Evil, really.

What long-time fans of the series need to know upfront is that while this game DOES take place within the established Resident Evil universe and timeline, the only actual in-game connections are brief allusions - a newspaper clipping mentioning "the Raccoon City disaster," some redacted parts of documents implying connections to Las Plagas and the T-virus, etc. Honestly, though, I think that was the right move for the series. Resident Evil 7 is a reboot for the franchise, and it's one that I hope will take off and revitalize the series. They really NEEDED to have as blank a slate as possible to bring in new fans, but what they do to give those of us who've been big fans of the series for 10, 15, 20 years is perfectly adequate in my opinion. You're not going to have Barry saving Jill from becoming questionable deli products, and Leon isn't going to bust through the ceiling like a badass and make everybody hot and bothered, but Capcom does make sure that you know that you're playing a Resident Evil game. They just don't want to alienate potential new players who would have no idea who Leon Kennedy, Albert Wesker, or Chris Redfield are (and shame on them for not knowing!).

The gameplay itself is something else that might turn off hardcore Resident Evil fans. We, as a fandom, have become accustomed to a third person perspective. With the exception of the two Chronicles games on Wii and Survivor on PlayStation, that's how every Resident Evil title has been. That changes with Resident Evil 7. As you've probably gathered from my screenshots and the Beginning Hour teaser, this game takes place entirely in a first person perspective. I was skeptical of this at first. I'm a good ol' Southern boy; I don't like change, and I don't do well with it. This is a big change for Resident Evil. Fortunately, though, Capcom did an excellent job of making sure that the new gameplay style fits nicely with the established horror theme. This is not a first person Resident Evil 5 (which would basically be a "Call of Evil" dudebro shooter), but it's also not exactly Dead Space. There's a very slow, deliberate feel to the movement in this game. It doesn't feel sluggish or unresponsive by any means, but you won't be making any quick, agile escapes, and while that can be frustrating in some games, it's used to great effect here to enhance the tension.

Now let's talk about one of the big selling points for playing this game on Playstation 4 as opposed to Xbox One or even PC - virtual reality. For the first year, Resident Evil 7 is a Playstation VR exclusive in terms of VR compatibility. January 2018, I'm sure, support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive will be added, but for the time being, if you want to play a AAA horror game in VR, you've gotta do it on Playstation. One of the great things about VR in Resident Evil 7 is that it's not a separate mode or minigame or whatever like a lot of games with Playstation VR compatibility are. It's the exact same game, completely unadulterated save for an obvious graphics downgrade, and you can switch into or out of VR at will from the options menu. This is good because I was about ready to puke my lunch all over the place after about 20 or 30 minutes, even with Dramamine in my system. I normally have no problem with VR. Until Resident Evil 7, the only game that had ever given me motion sickness in VR was Robinson: The Journey (still need to finish that, eventually...). The common denominator between the two? Free roam. What little I played in VR was absolutely amazing, and the decline in graphical fidelity wasn't NEARLY as bad as I'd anticipated. Capcom did it fucking right with VR, and it shows that virtual reality can work with big budget AAA experiences. The motion sickness, unfortunately, is just the nature of the beast and will vary from person to person. As far as what Capcom could have done to mitigate that - giving a plethora of VR options for turning and motion blur, locking a stable framerate, etc - they did 100%. I can't find anything that Capcom could realistically have done to make the VR experience less nauseating. Your body either cooperates or it doesn't. You better believe that I'm gonna be trying again and experiment with different nausea drugs, though, because it's exceptionally well done.

Outside of the VR mode, the graphics are stunning. They're not perfect, and if you're right up close, you can see some texture flaws, but it's the best looking horror game I've ever played. I did play with the PS4 Pro enhancements, though, so I'm not sure how it looks on a standard PS4; I would guess that configuration would give Alien: Isolation the edge, but still, that's not a bad game to come in second to. Speaking of Alien: Isolation, Resident Evil 7 feels VERY similar in style and atmosphere. Isolation hit the balance of horror atmosphere and enemy encounters a bit better, I think, but this is the most atmospheric Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 2. The game feels and plays very much like a hybrid of Alien: Isolation and the ill-fated PT demo, and those are two VERY good things to hybridize for your game.

I only have two real complaints with the game, and the first one is hella petty, so let's get that one out of the way first. The Bakers sound like North Louisiana rednecks, not South Louisiana rednecks. Most wouldn't know there's a difference without having some special connection to Louisiana (for me, it's where my family's from), but it's like the difference between Americans from the South and Americans from the North. They sound different, they act different, their lexicon is different...it's a different type of redneck. That's my little nitpick. My legitimate gripe is with the final boss. It's, hands down, the easiest boss fight of the game. I had been stockpiling magnum and grenade launcher ammo the whole game for the epic final showdown, and with how tense the other boss fights in the game are, I was expecting a clash of titans, essentially). I ended up not firing a single round from my magnum or grenade launcher because the final boss comes WAY sooner I expected and was so easy that I thought it couldn't possibly have been the end. But it was. By no means does it spoil the game, but it is a bit of a letdown.

Resident Evil 7 is, in my opinion, the third best game in the series, surpassed only by the legendary Resident Evil 4 and the remake of the first game. It's not a perfect game, but it's a damn good one, and for a genre that has had a bit of an identity crisis for the past ten years, trying and failing to find a balance between atmospheric tension and throwing hoards of enemies at you to create "horror," and this particular series was the worst offender, turning Resident Evil 5 into an action shooter instead of a horror game. The genre has definitely been on the upswing for the past few years, and Resident Evil 7 stands proudly near the top of that pack. Truthfully, the only full games that I think have done horror better in recent years would be Alien: Isolation and possibly Outlast. If the seventh main series game is any indication, Resident Evil has finally found itself again and is in for a fantastic future.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I want it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Anyone who actually has the patience to beat F-Zero GX is worthy of some praise, no matter what the motive for beating it might've been.

That, and how about Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer? I think that game had 3,000 levels. Never finished it and the difficulty kept skyrocketing from what I remember.

The difficulty curve skyrockets starting at the first beach level. And it's really inconsistent after that; some of the levels are reasonable and others are nasty.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

I've been watching a few Let's Plays of RE 7. I have the game, but I'm still in the midst of playing other stuff and I think also I'm bit too scared to play it just yet LOL

The Let's Plays I have seen have been immensely entertaining though and I really do feel that RE 7 is a return to form for the series. And people seem to like FF XV too, so it's nice to see these two classic franchises that are such a big part of gaming history and fixtures of Japanese gaming have finally gotten their shit together.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Juan Aguacate wrote:I've been watching a few Let's Plays of RE 7. I have the game, but I'm still in the midst of playing other stuff and I think also I'm bit too scared to play it just yet LOL

The Let's Plays I have seen have been immensely entertaining though and I really do feel that RE 7 is a return to form for the series. And people seem to like FF XV too, so it's nice to see these two classic franchises that are such a big part of gaming history and fixtures of Japanese gaming have finally gotten their shit together.

Might wanna skim through the FFXV thread here. :P
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)

Just a quick playthrough of UMvC3. I don't think it's nearly as good as MvC2, but it's still not bad. Went with a team of Phoenix, Haggar, and Hawkeye. I never could get very good with Haggar, although he was useful taking out the two sub-bosses before fighting Galactus, Phoenix just gets pounded on life, and Hawkeye... well, let's just say projectile spam is very, very useful. 8)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)

* replay

Hyper Light Drifter feels like a Zelda styled spiritual successor to Another World. Stylistically the ultra low res yet insanely intricately detailed pixel art is very much in the same vein as Another World and that sort of thing. Even with similar styled rendered cutscenes. It looks gorgeous and cryptic if you're a fan of this gritty design. The comparisons don't stop there though, there is absolutely zero real world text or dialogue whatsoever from start to finish. You're sucked into a completely different world here with vague and surreal storytelling that I believe lets you fill in the gaps with your own imagination. Conversing with in game friendly characters usually brings up a box of an image/art or a few showing events of what they're trying to convoy or talk about. There is a huge sense of scale and a lot of history to this world that's fun to try and figure out.

As mentioned above the gameplay is similar to overhead Zelda. You start off in hub area and have four branches to traverse, while unlocking new areas, abilities, as you progress. The difficulty can be quite high even on normal, but the checkpoints were sometimes forgiving... sometimes. It's no pushover with bosses, mobs, or large enemies that can kill you in 2-3 hits.

The game has a severe sadness and eeriness to is world and story. To top this off, midway into the game I discovered that the creator suffers from a life threatening heart disease and it seems like this dread comes through into the game, probably intentionally. This isn't to say it's grimdark for the sake of being dark or disgusting, it can just be mentally taxing if you really try to dig into it. You always sense a little light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel a lot of the heaviness is driven by composer Disasterpeace. I wasn't a huge fan of Fez, but I certainly enjoyed the music and the guy did the movie It Follows, showing that he can tap into John Carpenter just a bit. You can expect a similar sound here, dark 80's atmospheric synth music. So it's no chiptunes, but I think this is the best style that could have worked with its visuals.

Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufNiiTomjEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3l5X2hHOw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQM0x-qyJOU

Overall, top notch stuff and if it looks enticing to you and you enjoy a good overhead Zelda-esque kind of thing you will probably dig it. I don't see a lot of people here on my Steam list that own it, but maybe some of you played it on other platforms.

I think I can finally turn a new leaf with indie games. Some might know that I am usually really critical on them. I can be extremely peculiar about the aesthetics and also often times on the controls and how they feel or play. By this point some of my top favorites would be Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight, and I think Hyper Light Drifter makes the cut. I think we have gone a step further from the XBLA era when so much of that stuff just didn't work for me, I often felt I should just go back and play some real retro games instead. NES/SNES/Genesis game design is in my DNA and that stuff never, ever got boring, but the times moved on. Now that there's some new blood building on those blueprints and genres, it can be a homerun for me if done well. It's exciting that I think this does seem to be a growing well I can enjoy and there is some insanely good gems out there, as the indie scene matures and grows. I won't blind myself to some of these greats.

I guess I didn't write about Yakuza 4, which I enjoyed even more (should say something I hope), but I guess I just felt compelled to talk up Hyper Light Drifter here. I think we could maybe use a Yakuza thread in general, maybe I'll make it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)

Okay then. This one was a doozy.
As a sequel, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon doesn't quite stack up. It's substantially less interesting than its predecessor in terms of plot and setting. It's hyper-linear and extremely simplified. The map system has been scrapped, and most action scenes are simplistic left-to-right sequences that take about thirty seconds to traverse. The towns are all really dull, and the cute little NPC portraits are nonexistent. The story isn't as cryptic and weird this time around; honestly I can scarcely remember it. The music is, admittedly, pretty gnarly and the graphical quality has been bumped up a smidge.

Also of note: Sadler doesn't have a pacifist posse anymore, as you can play as five different characters. Unfortunately this isn't as fun as it sounds. Sadler is the most balanced and is useful (mandatory, really) for 90% of the game. Fakhyle and Kindi are straight up suck. Lawrence, the new guy, is like a slower and more powerful Sadler, but he only makes a cameo appearance. And waifu Rumi is quick with projectile weapons but is very weak. She's useless for most of the game, until the final dungeon where she becomes an absolute goddess and is the only one who can possibly survive.
Yeah, let's talk difficulty which is the most notable thing about the game. Working Designs, in addition to inserting "hilarious" NPC dialogue into to their games, also had a penchant for cranking up difficulty. In an instance like Popful Mail, it's just annoying. In Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, things just get absurd. Working Designs goofed. The game isn't just tough - it's artificially and awkwardly malicious. It's like an ARPG The 7th Saga (another classic difficulty boost fuck-up) but much, much worse.

In the original Exile I did not die once. In Wicked Phenomenon I saw my tombstone twice within the first five minutes. Enemies are massive HP tanks, but can take swaths of health away when they attack. Sadler begins the game pitiful and defenseless. The saving grace here is that once again it's very easy to power-level. And you'll need to. Of course, being an old ARPG there is a level cap and it's reached rather quickly. Thus the final stages of the game aren't even "RPG" anymore, they're just brutal action sequences. This all comes to a head in the final dungeon. It's probably fifteen times longer than any other area of the game and enemies can kill any playable character with just a handful of strikes. This dungeon is in fact such a broken mess that it can't even be played properly. Instead it's necessary to slowly sneak ahead, attacking enemies while they're barely onscreen, and to force certain unkillable (seriously) foes to follow you in such a way that they remain onscreen so additional sprites aren't rendered. Trust me. It sucks. But man, let me tell ya, after hours of practice I reached a zen-like state and got damn good at that final dungeon. On the final attempt I believe I only took damage once before reaching the penultimate boss. You know how certain shmups are only beatable once you get good enough to 1CC them? It's like that.
So yeah, this probably was a semi-cool game in Japan (though still worse than Exile) and I've heard many folks recommend going the import route. I should also note that the Japanese original is over 200 dollars cheaper than the Working Designs game.

I'm kind of proud of finishing this one. I'm typically not very "good" at video games. It's certainly not as "impossible" as some websites may claim, but get ready for some hair-pulling tedium.

EXILE OUT.
Raz
16-bit

Post by Raz »

1. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
3. Wild Guns: Reloaded (PS4)
4. World Heroes (SNES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again (SNES)
6. Strider (PS4)

The first Strider game I've played, it's great. It's a metroidvania kind of game, which I'm pretty sure is different than the other Strider games. The amount of abilities you gain are numerous and they are very satisfying to use. I played on normal difficulty, but I felt like I was absorbing more damage than I should be able to, especially after getting health upgrades. I also don't like how large health canisters count towards the completion percentage.