Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by MrPopo »

Holy shit, that video just keeps going.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 41

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (4 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7

41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7

I suppose it's fair to say that I was moderately excited when Outlast II was announced. Actually, if we're being completely honest here, I was basically the conductor of that hype train. The original Outlast remains in first place on my "Games that Scared the Most Shit out of Me" list, and I wouldn't wait to wet myself again with Outlast II. While the game didn't quite live up to my lofty expectations, it's certainly a competent sequel and a must-play for fans of the horror genre.

Outlast II's setting is actually my first disappointment with the game. The first Outlast took place in a creepy af insane asylum, but this one takes place in a village called Temple's Gate run by this insane Christian cult in northern Arizona. Now, this setting does do one positive thing for the game; it harkens back to Resident Evil 4 with the general feel and aesthetic of the village. I can't say for certain if Resident Evil 4 was an intentional inspiration for the game, but that's definitely what I kept thinking about. Personally, however, "decrepit insane asylum" is at the top of my list for perfect horror game/movie locations right in front of "run-down school" and "overly ornate mansion." Sure, creepy cult village is probably #5 or #6 on that list, but the setting was a definite downgrade in my book. To the game's credit, however, while the setting interested me less than in the original game, the develops did an EXCELLENT job of creating that village and the surrounding areas with an atmosphere very conducive of suffocating existential dread.

Having mentioned the game's superb use of atmosphere, allow me to take a moment to explain how Outlast II establishes the horror in the game as that's one part of horror games that developers easily screw up. If you're at all familiar with modern horror games, I'm sure you're well aware that jump scares are typically overdone and poorly used as if they're the only way to "scare" the player. Outlast II, like its predecessor, shows how jump scares can be used artfully and sparingly to enhance an already-existing feeling of terror rather than trying to force one into existence. Out of the four main methods I see of creating a "horror" feeling - jump scares, atmospheric existential dread, being chased, and "everything's fucking me in the anus" - Outlast II strikes what I feel is the perfect balance. It's about 60% existential dread, 15% "everything's fucking me in the anus," 15% being chased, and 10% jump scares. The game doesn't rely on lots of enemies (since there's no combat), constantly being chased, or frequent jump scares as many horror games these days do. Those are all used to accentuate and enhance the oppressive feeling of terror and helplessness that you're already made to feel by the game's brilliantly crafted atmosphere. From the ambient sounds to the minimal light to the derelict and blood-soaked appearance of most of the game's environments, it finds a way to scare you without quite knowing of what it is that you're scared, and that's the kind of soul-penetrating terror that few games can pull out. Outlast II, on the other hand, does it masterfully.

The game is very much one of psychological horror rather than your more traditional survival horror games, and the plot of the game ties into that directly. Unfortunately, for me, the plot was the game's weak point. The player character, Blake, is investigating the mysterious death of an unidentified pregnant woman in Arizona (hence why the game takes place in the village) with his wife, Lynn, but the helicopter crashes. When Blake comes to, the pilot's body has been skinned and strung up to a tree, and Lynn is missing. You go hunt for your wife only to discover that she's been kidnapped by the psycho cult because she's pregnant with the anti-Christ. Then you start having bizarre flashbacks of the Catholic school Blake, Lynn, and some chick named Jessica all attended in their youth. Yall were all BFFs, but it appears that Jessica hanged herself. Perodically throughout the game, you'll go - seemingly at random - between the village in Arizona and the Catholic school where you're tormented by Jessica's spirit and some weird monster that would not be out of place at all in a hentai video.

My big problem with the story is that it feels disjointed and unresolved. To be fair, it's entirely possible that I'm just an idiot and/or didn't pay enough attention to ancillary story texts lying around in the game world, but even having finished the game, I still don't quite understand how Jessica's death plays into the context of the larger story aside from the common thread of religion. There are definitely similarities between the story of Jessica and the story of the batshit crazy cult, but aside from "Blake was going insane," I still don't understand why Jessica became a major element of the game. By all means, if someone can explain to me why I'm an idiot, feel free; I'm desperately curious because I felt absolutely no closure after the credits.

As a horror experience, Outlast II is fantastic and an example of what the genre should be in 2017. The visuals are great, the atmosphere is perfect, and the gameplay is tight and well designed. My only real complaint - aside from the personal opinion that the setting is a downgrade from the first Outlast - is that the story is rather convoluted and obtuse, and it felt to me like it lacked a sense of closure and finality. Some games do that if they're setting up a sequel, of course, and it's entirely possible that Outlast II will get DLC that will provide a little more context and information as Whistleblower did with the first game. As it stand now, though, the game's story, while not bad, was a bit of a let down for me. It was great throughout most of the game, but like a sneeze that builds and builds and builds before vanishing into the ether, it just ended and left me feeling a bit unsatisfied.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (PC)(Action)
2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
3. DRAGON: The Bruce Lee Story (SNES)(Fighting)
4. Eradicator (PC)(FPS)
5. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)(FPS)
6. D-Force (SNES)(SHMUP)

Ah, D-Force, you are, well, you're not very good. There are a couple of neat ideas in there, but it's hidden under a lot of poor choices and design faults that would likely drive away most SHMUP fans...or most anybody, truth be told.

Let's go into the problems first. The music and sound effects are extremely limited, and the visuals are quite lacking, though what you do get can sometimes make projectiles difficult to see, such as in one boss which shoots light blue stars over a white background. Frankly the game is pretty hideous at times, and there's a general lack of creativity which leads to repetition. While yes, a lot of SHMUPs involves some level of repetition, but this is perhaps the only one I've encountered where it becomes flat out monotonous in a few levels. There are also problems with the size of your hitbox(which is apparently enormous), occasionally massive enemy projectiles mixed in with tiny ones that are easy to lose track of, and worse, some enemies take potshots at you while off screen. Your unlockable homing missiles will also occasionally latch onto an off screen target, which renders them largely ineffective but does at least point out potential incoming hostiles.

I do have to give D-Force some credit for mixing things up a little with its alternating level design philosophies. D-Force is split into a traditional vertical SHMUP where you unlock powerups for your weapon to shoot oncoming enemies and minibosses along with an "exploration" mode which allows you to adjust your height to the ground to avoid obstacles, enemies, and traps as you navigate the levels. While the bosses in exploration mode are pitifully easy, that's pretty much true for the more traditional "shooting" mode. In fact as a general rule the minibosses were usually tougher than the actual bosses, which is further showcased by a boss rush in the final level right before the final boss. That said, the exploration bosses are flat out pathetic, so don't expect much there. Now if you prefer playing one type of level over the other, D-Force gives the option to play through just the Shooting or Exploration levels in the main menu on start, which can allow for some shorter runs for practice if you like.

There are three difficulties available, though they don't make too much of a difference. On Hard enemies seem to move a little faster and your weapon goes down a level in power if you die, though you still retain your homing missiles apparently. Beyond that, I couldn't see much of a difference. Oh, and apparently running into enemies will kill both you and that enemy, so if you die, you can briefly use your helicopter as a battering ram during your brief period of invincibility.

There is a plot to the game, which apparently involves taking down some Middle Eastern dictator. Unfortunately there's no collusion between levels, and the exploration ones involve time travel. At least one boss is a weird bio-mechanical spider tank, which makes absolutely no sense when compared to literally everything else in the game. It's still better than the weird and pathetically easy dinosaur boss though. But I should stress that it's not all bad. There is one level in particular that impressed me, and that was the final exploration level, where you must choose between the upper height where massive unkillable ships fly around shooting at you or dropping down to the ground to navigate underwater enemies and the ruins of skyscrapers jutting out of the ocean in tight corridors. It's a little nervewracking and very unique compared to the rest of the game, which I suppose is why I enjoyed it so much. The boss afterwards is a letdown though...which is a pretty apt description for the rest of the game.

I'm glad I'm done with D-Force. I don't feel like ever playing it again.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Beat two great fighting games this morning, on arcade mode anyway...

23. The King of Fighters XIII | PC | fighter | 2010 | 25m | 8/10

I've never been the biggest fan of KoF (outside KoF '98) but XIII does a lot of things right. A fast and snappy battle system, plenty of characters to choose from, and precise controls make for a fun fighter. The 2D sprite work is incredibly impressive and very well animated. (I found the background designs and character portraits during dialogue scenes to be kinda subpar in comparison.) The King of Fighters XIII is a great choice for fighting game fans who still hold a torch for hand drawn graphics.

---

24. Street Fighter X Tekken | PC | fighter | 2012 | 15m | 9/10

Tekken is a fighting game series I don't personally care for, however I love Street Fighter. Thanks to the glory of Street Fighter's inclusion, the Tekken aspect of this crossover game doesn't drag it down. Capcom's incredible 3D graphic engine makes for quite the spectacle, coupled with furious battle mechanics matched to perfect responsive control. I would say Street Fighter X Tekken technically outclasses Street Fighter IV, but the inclusion of boring Tekken characters takes the score down a notch. Still, if you enjoy 3D polygon based fighters, you should have a great time with Street Fighter X Tekken.

---

I almost beat Marvel VS Capcom 3 also, but the final boss is BULLSHIT.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:As a horror experience, Outlast II is fantastic and an example of what the genre should be in 2017. The visuals are great, the atmosphere is perfect, and the gameplay is tight and well designed. My only real complaint - aside from the personal opinion that the setting is a downgrade from the first Outlast - is that the story is rather convoluted and obtuse, and it felt to me like it lacked a sense of closure and finality. Some games do that if they're setting up a sequel, of course, and it's entirely possible that Outlast II will get DLC that will provide a little more context and information as Whistleblower did with the first game. As it stand now, though, the game's story, while not bad, was a bit of a let down for me. It was great throughout most of the game, but like a sneeze that builds and builds and builds before vanishing into the ether, it just ended and left me feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Yeah I was worried about this, namely the setting. I was okay with some corn fields but it sounds like they leaned all in on that alone. I really enjoyed the setting of the first game (lots of Condemned vibes) and we didn't need a repeat of that, but yeah.

Still sounds solid though, I'll get it on a Steam sale.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:As a horror experience, Outlast II is fantastic and an example of what the genre should be in 2017. The visuals are great, the atmosphere is perfect, and the gameplay is tight and well designed. My only real complaint - aside from the personal opinion that the setting is a downgrade from the first Outlast - is that the story is rather convoluted and obtuse, and it felt to me like it lacked a sense of closure and finality. Some games do that if they're setting up a sequel, of course, and it's entirely possible that Outlast II will get DLC that will provide a little more context and information as Whistleblower did with the first game. As it stand now, though, the game's story, while not bad, was a bit of a let down for me. It was great throughout most of the game, but like a sneeze that builds and builds and builds before vanishing into the ether, it just ended and left me feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Yeah I was worried about this, namely the setting. I was okay with some corn fields but it sounds like they leaned all in on that alone. I really enjoyed the setting of the first game (lots of Condemned vibes) and we didn't need a repeat of that, but yeah.

Still sounds solid though, I'll get it on a Steam sale.

It is a great game, for sure - I gave it a 4/5 on my blog - but it doesn't quite live up to the glory of the first game. Waiting for a Steam sale sounds good, but if you enjoyed the first one, definitely don't pass it up in general.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Did you play the Whistleblower DLC for the first? I never got around to it.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:Did you play the Whistleblower DLC for the first? I never got around to it.

The day it hit the PlayStation Store. The first Outlast is my all-time favorite horror game. I need to replay it some time.

Flake

Post by Flake »

January:
Super Mario Bros Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 (GBA/WiiU)
Super Mario Bros Advance 2: Yoshi's Island (GBA/WiiU)
Wario Land 4 (GBA/WiiU)

March:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)

April:
Front Mission 3 (PS1/PSTV)
Mega Man 2 (PS4)

May:
Megaman 3 (PS4)
Megaman 4 (PS4)
Megaman 5 (PS4)
Megaman (PS4)
Megaman 6 (PS4)

It's Mega-May!

Blasting my way through the Megman Legacy collection. The more I play, the more I am upwardly revising my opinion of this collection. I do wish that it had the same amount of content as the PS2 Anniversary Collection but the consistency of the controls (compared to the PS2's mushy feeling) and the perfection of the emulation are undeniable.

I am also really enjoying the 'challenges', these remixed portions of the 6 games that remind me of another retro collection favorite, the NES remix titles. It's really satisfying to play through a mishmash of levels or sections from multiple Megaman games and have to remember not just how to play through a level but also how to change your play style to accommodate the range and movements available in a given title.

Not sure what my next Mega-May title will be! Thinking of staying 8-bit and going for 9 and 10.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Flake wrote:May:
Megaman 3 (PS4)
Megaman 4 (PS4)
Megaman 5 (PS4)
Megaman (PS4)
Megaman 6 (PS4)

It's Mega-May!

I think I love you.