Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Something else I've noticed in this thread is that different people may or may not log games that they've already beaten. Some use it as "this is what I finished this year" and some use it as backlog progress tracking.

I used to mainly only use it for backlog progress tracking, but I've decided to use it for everything now.

Same here. I used to only list games that were new to me. Then I realized that I really enjoy replaying stuff, and that my perception of games can change depending on when and how I play them. Now I just list everything.

I tend to write less about games I've already covered in the past though, naturally.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (PC)(Action)
2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
3. DRAGON: The Bruce Lee Story (SNES)(Fighting)
4. Eradicator (PC)(FPS)

Eradicator was released in 1996 in the waning days of Accolade. Unfortunately it didn't receive the marketing it needed to survive in a competitive FPS environment, so the game now holds Hidden Gem status for the few of us who have managed to play it. It has a simple enough plot featuring a bio-mechanical creature inside an alien world suddenly waking and taking over a facility to produce an army. The player has the option of selecting one of three(or four once you beat the game) characters with different stats, though their weaponry ends up relatively comparable and the differences come down more to speed versus toughness. I chose the miner character, as he had average stats all around and therefore makes for a good baseline.

The game excels in its level designs; of the three major regions (Security, Factory, and Bio Labs), each has its own design and appeal, and there are subtle rule changes to gameplay, such as all liquid hurting the player in the Factory area but not necessarily in the Bio Labs. Over time the enemies become tougher, though they range from robots that look like something out of the movie Short Circuit to exploding drones to monstrous humanoids armed to the teeth with missile launchers and mine-throwers. Yes, many of them look the same, but sometimes the same types of monster will pack considerably different weapons, so you have to be on your toes. After all, you're not sure if the flying bio-skeleton coming towards you is packing a flamethrower or a rocket launcher.

Aiding you in your mission to stop the evil bio-robots are a variety of ammo types which apparently change your weapon's firing mode. That's right, you don't find weapons, you just find ammo, which unlocks the weapon immediately. I liked this, and I really liked some of the weapons that you could find. Yes, there are the tried and true types such as a shotgun, flamethrower, and rocket launcher. However there was also an explosive RC car that I could swap to manually control for both spying and remote detonation. The exploding ball bearing launcher filled me with glee, and I loved the weird full-auto crossbow. I even got boomerangs and exploding bird drones.

Of course, these are the miner's weapons; the other characters' weapons feature the same basic functions but don't always match up quite the same way. Still, I'll taking exploding RC cars any time. Also impressive is the screen-within-a-screen function, which would let me keep a POV of missiles or certain other weapons to ensure they hit their target. With the right item in hand, missiles even became fly-by-wire, so I could direct them through the level to wreck havoc on fleeing enemies in hard to reach places. And then there are the Lil Buddies, which not only float around and shoot at whatever you shoot at, they also absorb damage for you and act as a surrogate shield. You can have two at once, and let me tell you, unloading on someone with two Lil Buddies and under the effects of a weapons chip means it dies, and it dies fast.

There are also a variety of items you can grab, such as an item that gives you health for killing enemies, a small turret, anti-gravity boots for higher jumping, a defensive wall, and so on. Most of these I never found necessary, and the small turrets had such a limited range, they were basically a joke. The anti-grav boots were awesome though, and I admit they saved my butt a couple of times with the nastier platforming segments. Yes, there is a lot of platforming in the game, which is tough in a first person view. Thankfully you can swap to third person if you desire and play the game that way. Also I have to give Eradicator props for having one of the best and most informative mini-maps I've seen in an FPS, which shows rooms and general layouts, platforms, your location, and items (and denotes between health or ammo items) while also giving relevant info such as objectives, secrets, number of enemies killed versus total, etc.

Is it all roses? Well, no, not entirely. I had some weird problems with the music audio setting and resetting itself to the maximum value for some reason. It was loud enough my girlfriend could hear the game pumping through my headphones while on the other side of my apartment, so be wary and don't go deaf. This stopped about halfway through the game, but it was frustrating while it happened. The game also defaults to the darkest setting possible and doesn't tell the player anywhere that you can adjust brightness settings with the F11 key. At times the game is pitch black, so that would have been a nice thing to know. Also I don't like platforming, so there were some definite sweaty palm moments, and the ending is incredibly weak. That's pretty much it though for my complaints, and none of those are gamechangers. If you like FPS from the mid- to late-90s, Eradicator is well worth playing. I fully recommend it to fans of the likes of Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, Powerslave, and so on.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Nice one Ack, looks obscure as hell and glancing over some footage reminds me of the also ultra obscure Defcon 5.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)

I completed Beyond The Beyond on the Playstation 1 this afternoon!

Beyond The Beyond is one of the first RPG's ever released for the Playstation 1 and does it show! The game seemed like it was developed for the Super Nintendo with sprite like graphics and midi sound for the music.

The game is your typical JRPG with absolutely nothing differentiating it from its contemporaries. It is exactly what you expect it will be when you turn it on and nothing really changes for the 35-40 hours it takes to beat the game. With that being said, it is good RPG comfort food and it has very nice music.

However, it is very grindy throughout the entire game, long dungeons with frequent battles that end with incredibly hard boss battles and really strange design choices in the story especially near the beginning make it hard to recommend.

If you are a RPG fanatic, it is worth a shot. If not, then this is an easy pass. It is not bad, but it's also not very good.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Markies wrote:The game seemed like it was developed for the Super Nintendo with sprite like graphics and midi sound for the music.

typical JRPG

very grindy

If you are a RPG fanatic, it is worth a shot

Sounds like the perfect game to me!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:The only important question with any WWII FPS is: Is it better than or at least comparable to Wolfenstein: The New Order?

You set the standard too high; no game will ever achieve that.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:The only important question with any WWII FPS is: Is it better than or at least comparable to Wolfenstein: The New Order?

A shame The Old Blood was a downgrade to me... especially that final boss, almost fucking ragequit that garbage. Did you guys play it? It did have Nazi zombies though, lol.

But yeah, TNO is extremely legit and one of the best newer FPS campaigns. But then I think Doom 4 came and blew it away. I laugh how originally I thought TNO had set a high bar for Doom 4... little did I know the master would return to the take the throne.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:

A shame The Old Blood was a downgrade to me... especially that final boss, almost fucking ragequit that garbage. Did you guys play it? It did have Nazi zombies though, lol.

But yeah, TNO is extremely legit and one of the best newer FPS campaigns. But then I think Doom 4 came and blew it away. I laugh how originally I thought TNO had set a high bar for Doom 4... little did I know the master would return to the take the throne.

I still gotta play both Old Blood and Doom 4! It would appear I should probably play tOB first though, given the opinions I've heard on Doom. I just wanna play it on PC dough, and my PC is still GPU-less atm Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Gonna get a new GPU soon?

For whatever reason The Old Blood was extremely taxing, when I could max out TNO on my old card. I hear Doom 4 is really well optimized though, it ran amazingly well on the PS4 as well.

The Old Blood is only about 6 hours long so it's a smaller bite.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I have a couple spare low end gpu's if interested.