Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Hobie-wan »

J T wrote:After playing Shadow of the Ninja and Shatterhand back to back, I decided I would continue playing more NES games by Natsume, so I moved onto this game even though I had beaten years ago, around the time of its release. S.C.A.T. (short for Special Cybernetic Attack Team) is a shmup where your character is a man with a flying suit rather than the typical spaceship or aircraft.

But all scatological referencing aside, this is a fun and demanding shmup that manages to be challenging without being unreasonable. It also has a unique gameplay set up. Your character has a gun with which he can shoot to the left or the right, depending on which direction you have him pointing in.

Since you mentioned this, Side Arms, and Section Z, you should also check out Burai Fighter.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I have! Great game, Burai Fighter is.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
PinkPanzer
24-bit

Post by PinkPanzer »

I just beat conkers bad fur day about 15 minutes ago, next game to start is tales of hearts r, it will be my first tales experience
The McCollum wood burned well.

GO RAPTORS!!
GO BLUE JAYS!!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Sarge wrote:Congrats on beating both Shatterhand and S.C.A.T.! Natsume had some real gems, and I'd love to get a cart of the latter.

I've mostly only played the Japanese game Shatterhand was localized as.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Diddy Kong Racing.

Finally beaten since having this game since childhood. Best kart racer ever, IMO. The kind of fun and personality that only N64-era Rareware can bring you. AND a solo adventure mode with a hub world to go along with it. Amazing.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

VVVVVV And Red Dead Redemption. Both very fantastic games, with great soundtracks!
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

A Wolf Among Us (01/03/15)
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (All courses S ranked on 01/08/15)
Distance (beta 3315, 01/11/15)
Shantae: Risky's Revenge- Director's Cut (01/16/15)
Sega Bass Fishing (01/17/15)
Fairy Bloom Freesia (01/17/15)
BasketBelle (01/18/15)
Tiny & Big: in Grandpa's Leftovers (01/20/15)
Sideway: New York (01/22/15)
Doom 64 EX (01/23/15)
Shadow of the Ninja (NES, 01/29/15)
Shatterhand (NES, 01/30/15)
S.C.A.T. (NES, 01/31/15)
Abadox (NES, 02/01/15)

And with that, I have finished all of the American games from this list:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/natsume/natsume.htm

But to finish my Natsume NES tour, I still need to also play Dragon Fighter, Power Blade, Power Blade 2, and The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper. There's also Dungeon Magic: Sword of the Elements, but I don't have any interest in that one since it looks like it aged horribly.

Abadox was great up until the level leading up to the final boss, which had these ridiculous enemies that were five flames that would quickly spiral in to form a phoenix that would then fly away like a rocket to the top of the screen. It was very easy to get killed instantly by one of the five spiraling flames unless you just happened to know where you should be on the screen to not get killed, which took a little memorization. The other tricky thing though, is that you can't shoot when the flames are coming in because you will destroy one or two of them. If that happens, they don't form the phoenix and instead pursue you relentlessly until you die. This meant that for large portions of the second-to-last level, you had to avoid shooting anything (and there were lots of things to shoot) or else you would trigger your demise. I played the game with save states that I would only start at the beginning of the level, but I eventually abandoned that idea on this penultimate challenge.

The rest of the game was a lot of fun though. The (almost) last stage was still enjoyable with save states, but it would have driven me insane without them. Abadox is also one of those shmups that is designed so that you almost have to get a 1CC if you decide to play without save states because your powerups and speedups slowly stack up and are all lost when you lose a life. Their absence is keenly noticed. However, don't get too many speedups or your pretty much destined to crash. I was able to get through most of the game on one credit, but died somewhere around Stage 4 or 5 and reloaded from saves after that.

Where this game really shines, other than the great gameplay, is in the concept and graphics. You have flown inside of this planet-sized alien being in space that's basically like a moon with a mouth. The graphics are full of quivering flesh and intestinal coils as you fly through the guts of this thing. It's pretty gross, but with the 8-bit graphics the disgust of it is all kind of fun and cool rather than how nauseating I can imagine an HD revamp of this game could be.

Playing through these games, I'm finding that Natsume was really a powerful dark horse in the NES days. The games I've played have all been great, but also all led up to some infuriatingly difficult final moments that likely prevented many people from finishing their games on original hardware, and thus kept them from having a greater mass appeal.
Last edited by J T on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Nice work.

I've had the Natsume NES games on my Wish List for some time. They look great!
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

J T wrote:But to finish my Natsume NES tour, I still need to also play Dragon Fighter, Power Blade, Power Blade 2, and The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper. There's also Dungeon Magic: Sword of the Elements, but I don't have any interest in that one since it looks like it aged horribly.
Oh man the Power Blade games are awesome! I tend to think of them in the same breath as Shatterhand as they are of comparable quality IMO. It's been great to see your thoughts on these great Natsume games, and I look forward to seeing you complete your tour!
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Half Life 2: Episode 2 PC

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

MGR has a lot going for it. It's backed by a powerful license and an excellent developer. However it's clear to see how its long development trouble affected the game. It's still amazingly fun, especially the first half, however it drops off in quality halfway through and has many smaller issues that bring down the experience. It's very short as well, I took my time and clocked a play through at just about 5 hours even.

It has some amazing set pieces and it still feels like a Platinum game. It's far and away their worst game though. It comes nowhere close to Bayonetta. I have my fingers crossed in hopes of a sequel that will fix the issues. Jack the Ripper is a cool ass character and I'd love to cut up more dudes with him sometime soon.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.