Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ice Climber is substantially worse than Donkey Kong 1/2/3, Popeye, Kangaroo, Congo Bongo, Mr. Do!'s Castle, Beauty & the Beast, and other similar "climbing" games. The controls are awful and game drags on for an unbearable 32 levels.

I have been meaning to ask - anyone here play Wrecking Crew? The World of Longplays video is a staggering 2.5 hours! With no save feature as far as I can tell. Can you at least choose your starting level from the title screen? EDIT: Wikipedia tells me you can. I should probably pick that one up now.

Wrecking Crew is absolutely atrocious. I hate it with a passion I normally wouldn't associate with disliking a game. It is unbelievably frustrating and tedious. It's puzzle solving requires slow and steady thinking whilst its use of enemies, and worse, random enemies, means that you'll often fail at a puzzle due to random chance. Blergh.

Well damn!

Oddly enough, this makes me want to try the game even more now. :lol:

Haven't played it since I was a kid. Think I'll pick up Clu Clu Land and Devil World sometime too...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Wrecking Crew indeed has its flaws but I wouldn't flat out avoid it. You can choose the level you want to play, so if you mess up you can just go right back.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Haven't played it since I was a kid. Think I'll pick up Clu Clu Land and Devil World sometime too...

Now Clu Clu Land I adore. I think it's massively underrated as far as early NES games go. Devil World I haven't played, but it doesn't appeal to me at all.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:Now Clu Clu Land I adore.

Hmmmmmm....... You adore a simplistic 1984 maze game with once-screen levels.

I think it's time you picked up an Atari. 8)

Ack wrote:But have you compared them to the ultimate climbing game, Eli's Ladder?

Isn't that super rare? :lol: I've never played it, no.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

1. Devil's Attorney (Android | 2012 | strategy) (7/10)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360 | 2009 | action adventure) (8/10)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360 | 2010 | kart racer) (8/10)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 | 2005 | JRPG) (9/10)
5. Gears of War (360 | 2006 | cover shooter) (6/10)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita | 2012 | action adventure) (7/10)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS | 2007 | dungeon crawler) (7/10)
8. From The Abyss (DS | 2008 | action-RPG) (5/10)
9. Army of Two (360 | 2008 | cover shooter) (7/10)
10. Psychic World (Master System | 1991 | platformer) (4/10)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii | 2010 | adventure / simulation) (9/10)
12. Journey to Silius (NES | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
13. Sword Master (NES | 1992 | platformer) (3/10)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC | 2005 | FPS) (7/10)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom | 1989 | maze / puzzle) (5/10)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom | 1988 | horse racing) (2/10)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC | 2006 | FPS) (5/10)
18. Seirei Gari (AKA Ghost Hunter) (NES | 1989 | puzzle / adventure) (4/10)
19. The Guardian Legend (NES | 1989 | action-RPG / shmup) (9/10)
20. Prey (PC | 2006 | FPS) (7/10)
21. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC | 1993 | action-RPG) (4/10)
22. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube | 2001 | combat flight sim) (3/10)
23. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC | 1995 | action-RPG) (7/10)
24. Bonk's Adventure (TurboGrafx-16 | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
25. Lost Kingdoms (GameCube | 2002 | CCG-action-RPG) (8/10)
26. Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx-16 | 1991 | platformer) (6/10)
27. Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx-16 | 1989 | shmup) (7/10)
28. Heatseeker (PS2 | 2007 | arcade flight combat) (7/10)
29. Castlevania: The Adventure (Game Boy | 1989 | platformer) (3/10)
30. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy | 1991 | platformer) (7/10)
31. Castlevania Legends (Game Boy | 1998 | platformer) (5/10)
32. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
33. Bonk's Adventure (Game Boy | 1992 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Ares mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 9/10
35. Castlevania Special: I'm Kid Dracula (Famicom | 1990 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Dela mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 8/10
35. Soul Calibur V (360 | 2012 | fighter) 7/10
36. No More Heroes (Wii | 2008 | action adventure) 7/10
37. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis | 1994 | platformer) 7/10

I enjoyed: Getting to use a spear wielding protagonist in a Castlevania game. Nice colorful graphics with impressively programmed special effects. Competent OST that lives up to its series' legacy. Eric has a diverse move set that's a lot of fun to play with. Some of the level designs are quite artistically inspired. Password support saves time and patience.

I didn't enjoy: General difficulty is lower than normal for this series. The last three stages are not as inspired as the first three. Obnoxious boss rush at the end of the game. Sometimes the graphical pizzazz trumps gameplay in interruptive ways. The cover art should have Eric on it.

Overall takeaway: Castlevania: Bloodlines is a competent game in the series, but it comes off as a vampire more concerned with being pretty than being dangerous.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PresidentLeever wrote:What about hard mode though, not much of a difference?

I'm not sure, I finished it on normal difficulty.
PresidentLeever wrote:Could you give some examples?

Stage 5-5's "Revolving staircase" segment is an example. Stage 6-2's "Shattered Mirror" segment is another good example. Nice special effects but not nice gameplay design.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)
5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. King Oddball Ends the World (Android)
9. Street Fight II The World Warrior (SNES)
10. Secret of Mana (SNES)

11. McDonald's Treasureland Adventure (GEN)

I picked this up in a trade several weeks back. I hadn't even heard of the game, a fellow collector was just trading off some loose carts and I didn't have three of them. After the trade he pointed out that this cart had some value to it.

I played most of the way through the day I traded for it, and went back to finish it today. This is a nice looking, colourful Genesis game with some great sprite work. The music is good and the controls are fairly solid (my only gripe being a bit of delay in turning around sometimes, but once you get used to that it isn't much bother). The story is goofy and the game is very generous with extra lives and continues, though I guess the default difficulty is pretty low, so higher difficulty might change that.

All together it was a fun time. I was pleasantly surprised both by the quality of the game and the value of the cart.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

elricorico wrote:All together it was a fun time. I was pleasantly surprised both by the quality of the game and the value of the cart.

It was Treasure's sophomore game. Released shortly after Gunstar Heroes. Surprisingly great.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PresidentLeever wrote:interesting, creative challenge to me and not just visual/technical flair.

Well if you enjoy the stage, that's cool man. I agree it was a unique idea. I just don't think it was a fun idea.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Omerta City of Gangsters(PC)(Crap)

This game is best described as a poorly designed time sink :P. I blew 26 hours on it expecting it to get better the entire time, but it never did.

Story wasn't bad but like everything else in the game it was basic. Everything is told through still picture cut scenes at the beginning and end of each scenario with some decent albeit cheesy voice acting. Most of the characters aren't really developed though and are built entirely around cliches.

City management is hard to screw up in this game and is very simple with very little going on aside from buying up property and waiting. It's very easy on any map to generate a ridiculous amount of income with minimal effort since the properties pretty much manage themselves after you buy them and nearly all of them are profitable regardless of the situation.

The combat is pretty horrid as well and I found myself using the chance based "auto resolve" option pretty often. Combat just feels very slow and unbalanced with missions taking excessively long because a lot of combat is based on luck and patience. In an average battle you will control between 1-4 characters facing off against 5-13 enemies who usually are better equipped then you are and have the same amount of HP. To make matters worse everyone is horrible shots and attacks only land probably 20% of the time unless you get right on top of someone. There is also a courage system which gets really cheap at the end since your team members are easily panicked and will break rank and run into the open quite frequently when confronted with the higher tiered enemies who have taunts. The equipment system also seemed to be broken when I played it I noticed multiple scenarios had unique weapons listed as a reward, but I never received a single one so I was stuck with base weapons the entire game. Overall it just felt like it was slapped together and just functional enough to pass as playable. Combat is also broken due to the fact that the game gives you infinite retries if a mission isn't going your way you can instantly restart in the pause menu with no repercussions.

Overall I recommend avoiding this game there are so many other great turn based strategy games out there as well as much better mob games.