25. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan 3DS
26. Super Castlevania IV SNES
27. Shovel Knight Wii U eShop
28. Discworld II: Missing, Presumed...!? PC
29. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Saturn *NEW*
30. Chameleon Twist N64 *NEW*
31. Live a Live SFC *NEW*

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
I played this a bit for Together Retro, and my final thoughts are 'eh, it's OK'. The aesthetic of the game is charming, and the puzzle mechanics seem interesting, but when playing I just never had that moment of 'This is great' that I've gotten from other puzzle games like Puyo Puyo or Art Style Rotohex. I never got into that puzzle zen state and I never really had a lot of fun.

I'd love to say more about the game, but I just don't feel like I have much more to discuss. The graphics are nice, the music is decent, the difficulty feels a bit high to me, but it's not too difficult to overcome the standard settings with a bit of practice and a lot of perseverance. The saturn had a nice challenge mode thing where you could unlock more costumes and stuff, but it was literally the same as the fights in the main game. I feel they could've mixed it up a bit more with puzzle modes, challenges where you only get certain colours or ....something.

I didn't dislike Puzzle Fighter. I just didn't really like Puzzle Fighter either. I probably won't be coming back to it too often.

Chameleon Twist
Chameleon Twist is a an early N64 release where you play as a Chameleon who gets transformed into a humanoid and chases after a white rabbit for some reason. It is very short, and pretty easy. It is also quite fun.

You make your way running and jumping through the levels. All the levels are pretty linear, although there are hidden items to gather as you make your way through, some of which are pretty tough to find. As well as your basic running and jumping, you can use your chameleon's tongue to clear obstacles. You can use it to vault to higher levels, grapple across gaps, swing around posts and to lick up enemies, which you can then shoot out like a machine gun.

The mechanics are cool, although I feel the grappling and swinging is underutilised and the machine gun fire thing is overutilised. That said, it's still a fun romp through the game's 6 levels.

Visually, Chameleon Twist isn't very special, even by N64 standards. The models are really low poly, the textures are basic or non existant and theres more than a few 2d sprites used for enemys and stage features. Musically it's OK, nothing offensive, but nothing catchy enough that I can recall it either.

Chameleon Twist got fairly poor reviews at the time, and I can see why. Trying to justify paying £60 for this is impossible. But for £5 nowadays, it's definitely worth a look and a play, and it's good, if slightly flawed, fun.

Live a Live
Live a Live is a slightly weird game to review. It's a Super Famicom RPG set over a series of chapters with different setting characters, and sometimes, game mechanics. The music is decent, with some standout character motifs, but a few less memorable tunes too, and the games graphics are best described as serviceable, especially for being quite a late release on the Super Famicom.

The battle mechanics are interesting - there's no MP and the battle takes place on a grid and plays kind of like a very simplified SRPG game - attacks hit different ranges and choosing your positioning can be important.

Here's my thoughts on each of the chapters in the order I finished them:

Ninja: The mechanic of getting 100 or 0 kills is pretty cool, and I like the stealth option you can take too. I also like how open this chapter is - there are lots of ways to approach it. It really makes you feel like a badass deadly and stealthy ninja. One of the best ones.

Sci-fi: This one has no combat at all and it's pretty awesome. It's got quite a well done horror vibe and it takes more than a few cues from Alien and Space Odyssey. There is a lot of tedious running around to find the next story trigger, but the atmosphere is awesome.

Cowboy: This one is short and sweet. The western setting is refreshing, and the trap finding and setting gameplay was fun. Another good chapter - at this point the game was on a roll.

Wrestler: This one is set up like a fighting game crossed with Mega Man. Almost no story here, just boss battles. The main character is a blue mage type character who learns opponents martial arts by being hit by them. This chapter is a little annoying to be honest - learning the arts whilst staying alive with your pitiful healing move is a bit tedious.

Caveman - I liked the simple love story plot of this chapter and the light hearted tone. The unique mechanics aren't anything special though - an item combining mechanic and a slightly pointless sniffing mechanic to find fights and stuff. I quite enjoyed this chapter overall, despite it being one of the least unique mechanically.

Kungfu - I adored this chapter. Finding your pupils, training them and then taking revenge on the enemy dojo was awesome. The atmosphere of the chapter was great, the music was great and the story was one of the msot interesting. My favourite chapter of the bunch. For anyone wondering, I chose Li as my successor.

Mecha - Even after finishing the whole game I feel that this chapter was ill fitting and out of place. Psychic powers, mecha, cyberpunks - it just...felt kinda off from the tone of the rest of the game. It wasn't helped by this chapter protagonist being the worst in the game by some margin, with crap stats, crap moves and a long charge time on everything. The weakest by far in my opinion.

Knight - Spoilers ahead! This chapter is pretty damn cool in how it turns expectations on their head. I unfortunately had an idea of the spoiler ahead of time, but seeing this chapter turn from a generic swords and sworcery setting with a destined hero, a betrothed princess and a generic villain to something more complex was really interesting. Seeing everything go wrong step by step, whilst a bit overly blunt, was really compelling and surprising after so many years of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Pretty great.

Final - Last one. Mixed thoughts on this. I like bringing all of the heros together, although the way you have to swap people in and out of the party is kinda lame. Most of the game's optional content is here and some of it just draws stuff out too much. More of it should have been like Akira's optional dungeon where there's more story insight to be gained, rather than more generic stuff like the Shin Xan Quan dungeon or the Wrestler one. I wish there had been more opportunity for dialogue between the heros too. There's lots of possible endings from this chapter depending if you choose one of the original 7 heroes or Oersted the Knight, and what options you take within. I got the best ending with my final party being Li (from the Kungfu chapter) Cube (Scifi chapter), Sundown (Cowboy chapter) and Pogo (Caveman chapter). I originally intended to use Oboro the Ninja, but Sundown was just too good once he got his last few moves to give up.

Overall, Live a Live is actually somewhat flawed. The battle mechanics need better refined, the graphics aren't too hot, storytelling is solid but could be better. But it is interesting, it is compelling, and at about 20 hours including some of the bonus content, it doesn't outstay it's welcome - it keeps throwing new stuff at you fast enough that you appreciate all it does right more than getting sore about what it does wrong. It's highly recommended by me. Play it!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by ExedExes »

Exhuminator wrote:@Exed

Of the FPS's mentioned above, STALKER is a great game, but it's pretty deep and involved, kind of an FPS/RPG/survival horror hybrid. Red Faction I is a very fun game (the PC version at least). But Red Faction II is a turd. Since you have GOG and a PC, I recommend Allied Assault. It's very well put together and stays entertaining.

MOHAA is fantastic. I have the special Medal of Honor 10th anniversary edition, which has that and its 2 expansions (completed all those), Pacific Assault (completed that), and Airborne (that's near the top of my to be played list).

I know the GC got passed up on a lot of good FPS, case in point, your example right here in Black. That environmental damage.

Whatever I play next, you'll see it in the FPS thread. Now that I have so many watching what I play, it's an Exed FPS Fanbase! :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ExedExes wrote:Now that I have so many watching what I play, it's an Exed FPS Fanbase! :lol:

Depending on what you play will gauge my interest for sure.

Right now I'm looking forward to seeing how Ack reacts to System Shock 2 once he gets a few hours in.

And now we know where to find our sailor.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) *
9. Deadpool(PS3)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)
13. Fuse(360)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)
19. Harvester(PC)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how addicting this game was. Everything appears to be very well polished and it runs great on the PS4 although I did have to install an 8gb patch :lol: . If I were to describe the gameplay I would have to say it's like a very well polished Assassin's Creed set in the Middle Earth with a bunch of really awesome magical powers tossed in.

The map was very well laid out and felt huge, but not so much that being on foot 99% of the game felt like a hassle. There were always orc patrols, camps, wildlife, etc. close by at all times and very few bland open spaces.

The Nemesis system is also an awesome idea that for the most part is very well executed. Most of the 20 or so mini bosses in each of the two regions can be randomly encountered going about their business on the map and there are constantly mission style events(hunts, executions, etc) that the bosses are involved in and which you can interrupt. It was always entertaining to randomly bump into a mini boss roaming the map or be gaining the upper hand in a fight only to be suddenly swarmed by a group of nemesis captains randomly popping in. It was also great to see them level over time which gave you a strong reason to either kill them or move through the story promptly. It also made you more weary of dieing since time progresses a few days with each death during which Orcs can level up, get promoted, and sometimes kill each other. Only downsides I saw was I killed quite a few captains and after a while started to notice them being recycled albeit they may have had different traits, but same names, weapons, and fighting style.

Another well polished part of the game is the leveling system which is very well laid out and is stocked with some pretty cool abilities. I especially enjoyed the Brand skill even if it did ruin the difficulty for the last third of the game by basically giving you the ability to turn every enemy you encountered into an ally. In one larger battle I actually managed to turn 17 Orcs which made things a cake walk.

The main story was also very interesting and I really enjoyed the last few missions which actually allowed you to use the Orc army that you began to acquire towards the end of the game in some pretty fast but awesome skirmishes. The only downside were the 3 kind of main storyline bosses. The first one is done very well you actually get to battle him and he is a decent foe at the lower levels. The other two kind of main bosses however suck major nuts . The second from last one involved searching an area full of clones with a 7 minute time limit during which you had to drain the enemy of his power. It literally took me 30 seconds only had to stealth drain two clones then go back to the main room watch a cut scene and that was it :P . They managed to top that with the final boss though who is pathetically a QTE :roll: . The ending itself isn't bad though in fact I found it to be rather freaking awesome and it left me wondering where they are going next with this series.

Overall all it is a great game very well worth the $20 I paid for it.

Now onwards to CoD Advanced Warfare :lol: .

Seriously though I love the ending

*bad ass stare towards Mt. Doom* "It's time for a new ring" 8)
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

1. Jazzpunk (PC)
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
3. Grandia (PS1)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)
5. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
6. Off-Peak (PC)
7. realMYST: Masterpiece Edition (PC)
8. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (DS)
9. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
10. Space Pirates (PC)
11. NiGHTS Into Dreams (PC)
12. Inherit the Earth (PC)
13. Saints Row IV (PC)
14. Grand Theft Auto V (PC)
15. The You Testament (PC)
16. Dark Forces (PC)

There is a very long update here, so bare with me as I include everything in spoiler tags, because I have been busy!

Saints Row IV –
I first want to state that I completed this game entirely in co-op mode with Racketboy’s very own Cronozilla! I cannot express how fun a game is when playing it with another person. The game itself is another ridiculous entry in the Saint’s Row series, taking the ludicrous approach that Saint’s Row the Third had and amping it up with super powers. These powers make running around and navigating the city streets a blast, making things streamlined and fun to soar through. These powers place the game even farther away on the spectrum from games like Grand Theft Auto by making travel fast and easy. Hijacking cars and combat have faster and more frenetic feel to them and it really benefits the mission setup.

The included super powers are where it is at though and they do come at a cost. Having the ability to fly around and jump incredibly high, as well as run with super speed making using vehicles absolutely superfluous. There is no need to jump in a car if you can fly at 5 times the speed!

I also feel what makes Saints Row such an enjoyable series is the sheer amount of insanity that is brought to you in the world. You play as the leader of the Saints, who also happens to be the President of the United States of America and are at war with an alien species that has enslaved humanity and put everyone into a virtual world. In this world you hack the system and fight the power, breaking free and overthrowing your alien overlords. You visit numerous different virtual realities that range from an atomic family era town to an 8-bit beat-em-up world and so much more! This unique array of styles is what makes the charm so in your face and entertaining. I cannot tell you how many times Crono and I just sat there and laughed at the situations we were thrown into, let alone the ridiculous dialog.

The game isn’t without fault, however. Collectibles are everywhere and are very very visible. Shining data clusters dot the city in an egregious amount. By collecting them, you can unlock new powers to use. There are far too many to count and the skyline is dotted with hundreds and hundreds of these things. Crono and I spent far too much time collecting them all so that we could have access to even more powerful abilities, but at times it could be considered a chore. Add to it audio diaries, text-based adventure game chapters and giant statues to destroy, there just seemed like there was a lot to get with little reward.

With that being said, the game was still a lot of fun to play. The characters are all very enjoyable and the self aware humor and satire of other videogames made it a treat to play and experience with friends. I absolutely loved it!

Grand Theft Auto V –
It is so very interesting to see this game in comparison to Saints Row IV. GTA V is a polar opposite in every way. Here you play as three main protagonists, each with a unique personality, special ability and various traits that make them stand out as you move through the streets of Los Santos and the neighboring areas. In this city, there is a bevy of strange and absurd characters and missions that point out the ludicrous nature of society and our obsession with image, cultural pressures to succeed and the passionate love of material things.

What makes this game stand out in comparison to its previous installments is that there is a large attention to detail. This game is far slower paced in comparison Saints Row IV, with more realistic car physics, cover based shooting mechanics and a fleshed out world ripe with a lot of personal touches that seem littered in every nook and cranny of the world.

With these details comes first person mode, which came out with the updated version for Xbox One, PS4 and PC. The first person mode was where I was drawn, spending the entirety of my time in, looking at every detail, every poster, advertisement and random scrap of paper fluttering through the streets. It is with the first person mode that I noticed the citizens and saw them as far more interesting than any other citizen in the series. They weren’t just cannon fodder for a crime spree, but they were dog lovers, twins enjoying a walk in the park or hippies worshipping UFOs. They seemed just as alive as the city itself and first person mode brought about a greater sense of atmosphere.
For me, I stink at driving in first person in most driving games and it took a lot of time acclimate myself to GTA V’s driving in first person, but I was able to get it down very well and in no time at all, welcomed it and rightfully so. Each car has a unique inside. Was the driver that I just threw out of the vehicle drinking coffee before I barged in? Yep! What were they listening to? Oh, that mean looking gangster was listening to some pop music? Fascinating! The game provided a multitude of moments that were personal experiences for me.

For instance, one of the first things I did was drive like a crazy person, exploring the city. Things very quickly took a turn for the worst as I ran a red light on a busy intersection, got hit by a crossing vehicle and it sent my car careening through the air, landing into a fountain at a nearby park. When I got out, the bystanders scattered, except for one, who was holding his phone out and recording the scene. At that moment, my character was infuriated, at least in my mind and rushed him, smashing my fist against his face and sending him sprawling on to the ground. How dare he invade my privacy!? I was involved a very serious accident and was vulnerable at that moment!
That is what makes this game special. Sure, you can find enjoyment from the various activities like golf, or tennis or the numerous heists that you can plan and pull off to make loads of cash, but for me, it was all about immersing myself into the world and playing as these characters. There were stories to be told that were not made by Rockstar Games and instead happened naturally while I explored and that is something special.

The You Testament –
The What What What? Never heard of this game? I don’t blame you. This is a strange and absurd game that plops you into the world of the New Testament, as seen by a strange, psychologically skewed man by the name of M. Dickie. In it, you play as an Israelite who stumbles upon Jesus and quickly becomes his disciple. As his disciple, you learn the secret to Jesus’ power and are able to recreate them through the power of meditation and accessing your chakras. You get such classic powers as creating items like bread, rocks and lead pipes and propelling them like rockets at people. There is also the awesome power to see the, “real,” world, which is an untextured wireframe of the3D environment and characters.

What makes this game really interesting and profound are the things that happen as you explore the world. This game includes a combat system from a previous M. Dickie game, which happens to be a wrestling game, so there is punching, kicking and grappling people, which makes things hilarious and odd as random strangers come up to you and twist their arms around you in some abstract act of hugging. You will see people fighting non-stop throughout the game and, over time the destruction seems to get out of hand as the damage starts to become monumental. Before you even reach the crucifixion of Christ, you will start to see people limping with only one leg, or a man with no feet crawling. It is not uncommon to hear screams of pain and anguish as everyone in the city is an amputee of some sorts, their eyes gouged out and bleeding as they wander around blind. This is all unintentional mind you, as the AI of the game is poorly made and the NPCs behave strangely, coming up to you to hug you, demanding that you give them back their precious brick, or offering to give you a sword and then immediately accusing you of stealing said sword and leading to your arrest and eventual crucifixion through a trial process.

There is crime in the game and hunger, all implemented strangely and lead to hysterical affect. Assault a guard? Go on trial for insurrection. During trial a crowd is asked if either you or another criminal should be spared. The first time I went into trial, I was going in for insurrection while a women was there for sorcery. The crowd was vying for her release, because, and I quote, “Her crimes show that she isn’t harming society.”
Let me also take a moment to talk to you about Jesus in this game. Jesus is a complete jerk in this game. She will berate you, call you names, talk down to you and constantly play tricks on you. Near the end of the game, Jesus wants to talk to you and asks you to go to the desert. She promises she won’t play any tricks on you, like the last time when she made the water levels rise, flooding Israel. You go there and she is nowhere to be found and you say to yourself, “Where is Jesus? Why would she lie to me?” only to have her appear out of thin air and scream, “YOU FOOL! I was only testing you!”

Notice how I say Jesus is a she? That is because Jesus is a randomly generated character which could be either male or female and of numerous ethnicities. She gets into fights with people, yells at you for getting close to her because you are, “draining her power.” And gives you mind control powers to meet your needs, because sometimes, “people need a helping hand to meet your needs.” Also, Jesus quotes Star Wars, saying that the Force is strong in me.

The game itself ends when you play as Judas by going to a random guy who wants to talk to Jesus and you find out he wants to learn the secrets of his powers and when Jesus refuses, he has her killed. Afterwards, you have to stop a giant power struggle amongst the Disciples and then work on get your own followers and be the new Jesus. This is why it is called the You Testament, because it is all about you. The game is weird, poorly programmed and an absurd interpretation of the Bible and it is absolutely fascinating.

Dark Forces –
I have owned Dark Forces since I was a kid and have absolutely adored the series. Having beaten it way back in 1995 as a kid, I felt it necessary to revisit it and see if it still stacks up. Reading Ack’s impressions on it and seeing an irresistible steam sale for it and other great Star Wars games, I decided to pick it up again and give it a shot. In the game you play as Kyle Katarn, a mercenary for hire by the Rebel Alliance to investigate a new Dark Trooper that the Empire has built.

The game is a standard first-person shooter for the time, with a mostly stationary camera akin to Doom or Castle Wolfenstein. What makes the game fun and interesting is how they interpreted the Star Wars universe into an FPS. The missions in the game are simple, usually involving you finding a character, planting bombs or other interesting missions like escaping capture from Jabba the Hutt and rescuing your friend, all the while punching Krayt Dragons! The environments to the games are varied, even though the enemies are not. You mostly fight imperial Storm troopers and officers, with mercenaries from time to time as well as the infamous Dark Troopers. Even though you face off with a lot of the same characters, there is a sense of physicality to their movement and behavior. When shooting an enemy, you really feel like you are hitting them as the reel in pain from the shot. I feel like a lot of modern games don’t really give you that sense of impact that is necessary in FPS and Dark Forces provides that and it is enjoyable.
The level design on the other hand is pretty flawed. There are lots of nooks and crannies that are essential to explore to continue through the map and you can easily miss them, requiring you to use your map obsessively to see what unexplored area was missed. I can’t blame them entirely though, as this was the mid 90’s and level design for FPS games wasn’t quite at its finest.

The reality is, the game is a lot of fun still to this day. Sure sometimes it can be a hassle navigating the labyrinthine passageways, but the environments are cool, the missions are varied and it really was interesting to see how the game progressed. It was well worth playing over again and revisiting!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

BogusMeatFactory wrote: I can’t blame them entirely though, as this was the mid 90’s and level design for FPS games wasn’t quite at its finest.

I dunno, if you ask me it never got any better than Doom. :wink:
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CFFJR wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote: I can’t blame them entirely though, as this was the mid 90’s and level design for FPS games wasn’t quite at its finest.

Did you play Quake?
Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Dark Forces –
I have owned Dark Forces since I was a kid and have absolutely adored the series. Having beaten it way back in 1995 as a kid, I felt it necessary to revisit it and see if it still stacks up. Reading Ack’s impressions on it and seeing an irresistible steam sale for it and other great Star Wars games, I decided to pick it up again and give it a shot. In the game you play as Kyle Katarn, a mercenary for hire by the Rebel Alliance to investigate a new Dark Trooper that the Empire has built.

The game is a standard first-person shooter for the time, with a mostly stationary camera akin to Doom or Castle Wolfenstein. What makes the game fun and interesting is how they interpreted the Star Wars universe into an FPS. The missions in the game are simple, usually involving you finding a character, planting bombs or other interesting missions like escaping capture from Jabba the Hutt and rescuing your friend, all the while punching Krayt Dragons! The environments to the games are varied, even though the enemies are not. You mostly fight imperial Storm troopers and officers, with mercenaries from time to time as well as the infamous Dark Troopers. Even though you face off with a lot of the same characters, there is a sense of physicality to their movement and behavior. When shooting an enemy, you really feel like you are hitting them as the reel in pain from the shot. I feel like a lot of modern games don’t really give you that sense of impact that is necessary in FPS and Dark Forces provides that and it is enjoyable.
The level design on the other hand is pretty flawed. There are lots of nooks and crannies that are essential to explore to continue through the map and you can easily miss them, requiring you to use your map obsessively to see what unexplored area was missed. I can’t blame them entirely though, as this was the mid 90’s and level design for FPS games wasn’t quite at its finest.

The reality is, the game is a lot of fun still to this day. Sure sometimes it can be a hassle navigating the labyrinthine passageways, but the environments are cool, the missions are varied and it really was interesting to see how the game progressed. It was well worth playing over again and revisiting!

Damn straight!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The oldest optical disc based game I own is my copy of Dark Forces that I bought from a Walmart in 1995. I distinctly remember installing it from the disc, but then running the game from the harddrive without the disc based OST. Instead I was listening to The Downward Spiral while I played the game through my 486's caddy based CD drive. Halcyon days? I dunno 'bout that. Simpler times indeed though.

Anyway I'm glad to read you guys say the game holds up.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

noiseredux wrote:
CFFJR wrote:

Did you play Quake?

I did. Back when it first came out in fact. Its excellent, and I've been meaning to replay it.

Still prefer Doom though. I was teasing Bogus, but its also true that no shooter has ever dethroned Doom in my mind. Call me biased I suppose.

---

This Dark Forces talk is making me want to try it. There's a tempting bundle on Steam...
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.