Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:You should read the translated Metroid manga that goes into Samus's history. The story of Other M was designed with the manga in mind.

Reading the manga wouldn't make me enjoy the game's plot anymore then I already do not. I said Yoshio Sakamoto was the reason that Other M's story sucked and Samus' portrayal was sexist. Sakamoto was the editorial supervisor/general editor for the manga, so he indeed had much to do with its story and version of Samus as well. If the manga and Other M share common elements in plot and characterization of Samus... it still means Yoshio Sakamoto is the man to blame as I said before. So reading his manga would probably irritate me despite whatever nice artwork it likely has.

In an interview with G4TV, Team Ninja's Yosuke Hayashi makes it very clear the game's story was Nintendo's job, not his own studio's. "The story for Other M was definitely the product of Mr. Sakamoto at Nintendo", he said."We definitely worked with them on the project, but that was all him."

http://kotaku.com/5843159/blame-nintend ... ucky-story

Luke wrote:Just wondering if there were any polarizing aspects of the game that struck you.

It didn't feel like a Metroid game. It was piss easy. The plot sucked. Samus was portrayed as a weakling because of her gender (she got called "Princess" at least five times in this game). Exploration was practically nil. The two final bosses are repeats from earlier Metroid games. The controls were not thought out well.

Despite all that, Other M was still a highly decent action game though.

-

Forgive me if I seem pissy in this response guys. I'm not handling the news of Iwata's death very well at the moment.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Sarge wrote:Well, I've beaten the original Doom. I'm not counting the fourth episode as part of that, since the original set was three episodes.

Honestly, it was a lot of fun overall. Fairly simple, but addictive. Just the right sort of blend of action and mild puzzling. The graphics haven't aged well, but they still have their charm. And it's nice that it runs so smooth, at the very least.

The last boss wasn't hard... but that's because I used the BFG9000. :)

Obviously nowhere near a complete run, but I did get 100% on a stage or two. I should also note that I was on default difficulty. That's probably as far as I'll take it for right now.

I can also see why it had so many folks concerned. In an age where games were still very much considered for kids, it was a game clearly trying to push boundaries, and I'm sure it especially appealed to teenagers. That much in the way of blood and guts, combined with the Satanic imagery, would have certainly given my parents pause... and I'd not let my kids play something like that, either. Of course, today, it's almost quaint. :(

I'm really glad I went through it, though! There's a lot of quality there.

Ok, son, you did your best. But your best wasn't good enough. You killed one Spider Mastermind, big deal. You didn't stop the invasion. Your home is now the demon horde's bitch. It's time you fight back on home turf. It's time you play...

DOOM II: HELL ON EARTH
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge did you play Quake or Quake II?

I really enjoyed DOOM and DOOM II. I only put about two hours into DOOM 3 though... that game bored me tremendously. It was too confined and linear, and only threw one or two enemies at you at a time usually. It just didn't feel like DOOM to me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Nah, never played the Quake games. I think I've got a copy stashed somewhere, though. :P

So, I knew I was close to finished with it, but I finished Bayonetta 2 last night. Definitely a smoother game overall than the first, although it gets really, really linear towards the end. I liked the earlier stages where you poke around a bit more. But then, one realizes that the endgame is typically going to be like that anyway, just for all the absolutely bonkers setpieces.

The story is the usual tripe when Japanese devs handle anything related to religious imagery that is closer to Christianity... although there is no mention of the Judeo-Christian God, only angels and demons. So it's more "inspired" than any sort of direct analogue. Also, I had to roll my eyes when our favorite JRPG cliche managed to trot itself out at the end.

Still, none of that gets in the way of a rollicking good time. Pretty amazing game, and if you like hack-and-slashers at all and have a Wii U, you need this game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:Sarge did you play Quake or Quake II?

I really enjoyed DOOM and DOOM II. I only put about two hours into DOOM 3 though... that game bored me tremendously. It was too confined and linear, and only threw one or two enemies at you at a time usually. It just didn't feel like DOOM to me.

It doesn't really get any better, unfortunately. Doom 3 keeps using the same tricks over and over. Now, the "here's a ton of dudes, shoot them" Doom uses is a gimmick that doesn't get old, but "surprise, monster is behind you" does.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Sarge did you play Quake or Quake II?

It doesn't really get any better, unfortunately. Doom 3 keeps using the same tricks over and over. Now, the "here's a ton of dudes, shoot them" Doom uses is a gimmick that doesn't get old, but "surprise, monster is behind you" does.

Or the "Enter room, find monster closet" thing. That does get a bit old.

Still, I give Doom 3 credit for having some interesting enemy designs. Freaky bug babies. Those freaky bug babies.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:Doom 3 keeps using the same tricks over and over. Now, the "here's a ton of dudes, shoot them" Doom uses is a gimmick that doesn't get old

Yes. Lots of enemies plus far larger environments to combat in lead to more disparate dynamics, keeping the pace fun and challenging. Also, DOOM never felt like survival horror to me, but DOOM 3 obviously tried to invoke that genre... it just came across disingenuous.

Did you play Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil? Was it a big improvement?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe later this year.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Fallout 3(PC)
30. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage(DLC)(PC)
31. Fallout 3: Broken Steel(DLC)(PC)

Fallout 3 Operation Anchorage

I imagine this has to be the worst DLC for Fallout 3 there is a heavy focus on combat and scavenging is almost completely stripped out of this segment of the game due to the scenario. The snowy Alaskan setting is very bland and the enemies aren't that impressive either. The final boss also can be immediately defeated with a speech check :roll: . You do get some interesting weapons out of the experience like the Guass Rifle as well as a nice winterized power armor. Sadly the Power Armor is broken to the point that it has something on the lines of a few million hp so it takes literally months worth of play to deteriorates and sucks up ungodly amounts of damage. The Guass rifle on the other hand is a little more balanced but only fires one round every 2-3 seconds so it's not extremely useful in most scenarios.

Falliout 3 Broken Steal

This DLC actually continues the Fallout 3 campaign which is a nice seeing as there is no option to continue playing after beating the main quest line in the base game. It also has a lot more interaction with the Enclave which brings you in contact with some interesting new levels and equipment. I would say the mission quality is on par with the base game and I liked them all for the most part. The last quest however was a little long and gives you a way to OP weapon which can 1-2 hit most enemies and has an AOE damage field that stays active for 2-3 seconds. Worst of all it uses a very common energy cell which in my opinion was a very bad idea since it is as powerful if not more so than a rocket launcher and it takes quite a while to deteriorate. Even limiting it to 1 shot every few seconds wasn't enough to balance it in my opinion they should have stuck with some rarer ammo such as the alien power cells to keep it from being over used. Alien power cells would have made sense as well since the area where you collect parts for the weapons had around 60 of them laying around.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Exhuminator wrote:
Did you play Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil? Was it a big improvement?

I'll chime in here and say that I thought it was a big improvement.

It's still Doom 3 at its heart. If you don't like the gameplay there it doesn't change much. However the pacing and level design is far better in my opinion.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.