Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by J T »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Side Arms
I have very little to say about this one.

I think it's probably a poor conversion from the arcade original.

You're a robot type dude who can shoot left and right with two different fire buttons, but it feels strange and awkward. The levels look nice but are dull, and the same enemies are used over and over. Next.

This is a weird thing to say based on your review, but I totally need to play this game now! I'm a huge fan of Section Z, which has the same left/right shooting buttons layout. It takes some getting used to, but I like the freedom of being able to turn around in a shmup (though, oddly I don't like Defender style games much). I always wished there were more games like Section Z and was unaware that Side Arms: Hyper Dyne was that kind of game.

Also, 1941 is classic.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World (January 28)

This was a great game. That's really all that needs to be said. Nintendo had it right with this one, and I love the way this game played, the power ups that it added, and overall how enjoyable it was. 9.5/10

Loved the tunes, loved how cute it was. Would play again!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Blu wrote:1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)

This was a great game. That's really all that needs to be said. Nintendo had it right with this one, and I love the way this game played, the power ups that it added, and overall how enjoyable it was. 9.5/10

Isn't the Cat Suit powerup the cutest on the Goombas and, "You know who?"
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

J T wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Side Arms
I have very little to say about this one.

I think it's probably a poor conversion from the arcade original.

You're a robot type dude who can shoot left and right with two different fire buttons, but it feels strange and awkward. The levels look nice but are dull, and the same enemies are used over and over. Next.

This is a weird thing to say based on your review, but I totally need to play this game now! I'm a huge fan of Section Z, which has the same left/right shooting buttons layout. It takes some getting used to, but I like the freedom of being able to turn around in a shmup (though, oddly I don't like Defender style games much). I always wished there were more games like Section Z and was unaware that Side Arms: Hyper Dyne was that kind of game.

Also, 1941 is classic.

Well I also dislike Section Z. :lol:

Didn't even bother to finish that one. I believe it's on the same compilation, or the accompanying "Reloaded" one.

I LOVE Eco Fighters though, and that has even stranger controls (360 rotation).
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Blu wrote:1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)

Isn't the Cat Suit powerup the cutest on the Goombas and, "You know who?"

Toad!? Peach!? Yes.

Rosalina!?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

J T wrote:This is a weird thing to say based on your review, but I totally need to play this game now! I'm a huge fan of Section Z, which has the same left/right shooting buttons layout. It takes some getting used to, but I like the freedom of being able to turn around in a shmup (though, oddly I don't like Defender style games much). I always wished there were more games like Section Z and was unaware that Side Arms: Hyper Dyne was that kind of game.

FYI there are 2 versions on TG/PCE. Sidearms (card) and Sidearms Special (CD). I don't remember you having either of those, but just more possible options to play it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)

Gunpoint is short, sweet, and a lot of fun. The story focuses on Richard Conway, a private detective-type who is called to the building next door by a woman named Selena only to find she has been murdered and he's the only person on camera. From there, it spirals into a series of twists and turns as everyone backstabs just about everyone.

Each level is a job you must fulfill, to hack a computer or retrieve an object and then escape. But the fun comes in when you start picking up all of the tools you want to use. Want to fall long distances with no issue? Want to break through windows silently to not attract the guards? Want to wire a light switch through an electrical socket and electrocute someone when they try to turn on the lights? Or knock a guy out by kicking a door off its hinges and into his face? And all set to a smooth jazz soundtrack. I really love this game.

It's short, unfortunately. Like, really short. You can beat it in a single rainy afternoon. But the missions are replayable, and there is a dividing line where you have to make a vital choice, so seeing everything will require at least two playthroughs. Plus, beating the snot out of the final boss in a variety of ways is all part of the fun.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Blu wrote:

Toad!? Peach!? Yes.

Rosalina!?

BOWSER!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Beat Wrath of the Black Manta. A weird sort of amalgam of Shinobi and Rolling Thunder, but not as good as either. He moves awfully slow for a ninja. The last battle is a sort of puzzle battle, you have to use the right arts in the right order to win.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

A Wolf Among Us (01/03/15)
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (All courses S ranked on 01/08/15)
Distance (beta 3315, 01/11/15)
Shantae: Risky's Revenge- Director's Cut (01/16/15)
Sega Bass Fishing (01/17/15)
Fairy Bloom Freesia (01/17/15)
BasketBelle (01/18/15)
Tiny & Big: in Grandpa's Leftovers (01/20/15)
Sideway: New York (01/22/15)
Doom 64 EX (01/23/15)
Shadow of the Ninja (NES, 01/29/15)

This game has come up a few times in conversations on this forum with people raving about it next to the likes of Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi. I decided to give it a go and it's quite enjoyable, albeit difficult. I somehow had never played it back in the day. I played this version via emulator and I don't think I could have beaten this without save states. The game only gives you 5 continues, with one life per game. And it beats the crap out of you unless you are utterly precise when fighting. You have to know the cues for when an enemy is going to attack and respond immediately by moving the precise direction away to avoid getting hit. You will have to do this regularly because most enemies take several hits to kill and they will attack several times during that time frame. You'll find your health bar quickly dropping if you don't get a hang of things quick. It also requires some fairly precise platforming skill, though the jumps were usually manageable with the exception of one somewhat challenging floating platform stage late in the game. The graphics were quite impressive for the NES days and it has an energetic soundtrack that keeps the game exciting, even when you're getting frustrated by an enemy that lobs six bombs in the air that you have to dodge while some other flying thing is gunning for your head. I still prefer Ninja Gaiden, but Shadow of the Ninja is a great game, even if it is a bit demanding with what is required to avoid enemy attacks.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry