World record collection for sale

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: World record collection for sale

Post by 8bit »

Hobie-wan wrote:I don't expect this to sell. Maybe it will be rerun a few times, fail to reach reserve, then just stay where it is after wasting everyone's time.

^This. I bet his actual reason is his wife has finally said enough is enough and wants a house she can live in without running into a pile of unopened games or she is leaving him. His collection to me looks more like very organized hoarding to me.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

He's been looking to get rid of it all for a long time, first through dealers and high-end collectors, and now through auctions apparently... but I get why some of you would react kinda negatively to it, since you don't know the guy and only have assumptions to go off of on his motives for selling...

Just remember, sometimes things become more of a hassle than they are worth. The whole Guinness process really jaded the guy, the internet responses to it didn't help and he simply wants to move on with his life.
He's a really knowledgeable and nice guy, really knows his videogame history and the people behind it. But he certainly wasn't prepared for internet trolls and jealous collectors and all hoopala surrounding such a fanboy driven record.

Can any of you longtime collectors really say that you haven't though about calling it quits and cashing in multiple times :lol: , just to have this time/money vampiric hobby out of your life? I certainly have, especially with the absurd market being what it is today for collectors.

I feel bad that there is more negativity than positivity about this attempt to sell (everywhere that talks about this stuff, not just here). I certainly hope he gets close to what he is looking for and finds a more financially sound hobby.

Good luck Michael.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

cha cha wrote:The whole Guinness process really jaded the guy, the internet responses to it didn't help and he simply wants to move on with his life.

Guinness records have been generally dumb and problematic for decades now. Back when there weren't records for absolutely everything and a book of them every now and then I'd say they were more interesting. Now people fight over records and there are some really silly records that I've heard about that nobody cares about.

But he certainly wasn't prepared for internet trolls and jealous collectors and all hoopala surrounding such a fanboy driven record.

Since he's run stores and been in the business for years, I don't see how he could be that oblivious to jealous and troll responses. Did he not pay attention to the worst of his clientele or visit any forums online?

I feel bad that there is more negativity than positivity about this attempt to sell (everywhere that talks about this stuff, not just here). I certainly hope he gets close to what he is looking for and finds a more financially sound hobby.

You're right, we are mostly speculating. Just that the timing seems really odd. I don't mean to hate on the guy, but it does all invite speculation and this announcement so soon after the record makes it appear like a pump and dump. Unless his expectations have been very diminished by previous failures to sell that you mention, unfortunately I think he will continue to be disappointed. If things were at least split into chunks there would be a better chance.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

Hobie-wan wrote:
Since he's run stores and been in the business for years, I don't see how he could be that oblivious to jealous and troll responses. Did he not pay attention to the worst of his clientele or visit any forums online?

Just to touch on that comment, I don't think he was or is oblivious to how the internet "works" with trolls and faceless haters... I just think the pure volume of it, and the disparity between positive and negative responses took him aback. It's not like any of it truly got to him or anything, but it sure didn't help him feel more accomplished about going for the record.

Also, I'd add my own suspicion that some of the reasons he wants to sell is probably fear/knowledge of someone else who is going to go through the Guinness process and beat his totals... which we all know there are quite a few collections already posted online that surpass this.

I too think it'd be wise to break up collections, especially since the guy has a CIB Jaguar/Jaguar CD collection, most of which is sealed and a bunch of other hard to get game collections for obscure consoles. Maybe he will in the future if these attempts continue to fail.
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I would probably buy a few Arcadia 2001 games off him if he decided to part them out... :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Guinness really needs to stick to athletic, scientific, and technological achievements, natural wonders, and the like. All of this biggest/craziest/wackiest crap needs to go.

cha cha wrote:Also, I'd add my own suspicion that some of the reasons he wants to sell is probably fear/knowledge of someone else who is going to go through the Guinness process and beat his totals... which we all know there are quite a few collections already posted online that surpass this.

Why would this matter unless he was collecting only to set the record in the first place? If that's the case I'd say his heart wasn't really in it anyway.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

I whole heartily agree that collecting games can be daunting. Almost as if it controls you. I haven't had a large collection in years and I have had to sell them off a few times because I needed money for more important things in life.

With this last "liquidation" I had, I honestly felt a sense of liberation. I no longer search the internet, game stores, yard sales, etc like a zombie looking for games that I don't already own. I no longer feel the guilt of buying games that I know I will probably never play. I no longer feel like a jerk spending money on games instead of buying my kids toys (which they have plenty of and don't really need more).

I have now limited myself to the Wii U, 3DS, PS4, and PC. Even with just these systems I have more games that I can probably ever play. I have 240 games on Steam alone, which doesn't count physical copies, Origin, GOG, Uplay, and the dirty dirty pirated games I have and generally turn around and buy because I feel like a jerk.

However, I have stopped myself from feeling that desire to "compete" with others or hunt constantly for those games I want in my collection. I know not everyone will have these same feelings about collecting and that is great. But, for me it started to be an obsession or sickness. Even though I love games, I felt collecting started to control me and I hate to feel that way. So, maybe this guy felt that way. The pressure was just too much. Maybe he realized how much money he spent on the whole thing instead of putting it away for retirement or traveling the world and it made him feel terrible.

I wish him the best of luck and hope he reaches the goal he intends to make after selling his collection.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Over under on $22K? I'm guessing under.

Man, shipping will suck ;)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

Jagosaurus wrote:Over under on $22K? I'm guessing under.

Man, shipping will suck ;)

Introducing the new USPS Flate Rate Shipping Tractor Trailer. If it fits, it ships..........

.......For $3000.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

I'm sure anyone buying a collection of this magnitude is gonna come pick it up with a moving truck or arrange something like that. LOL @ the thought of dragging all that shit to a UPS store or Post Office.