Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by CRTGAMER »

Menegrothx wrote:
ExedExes wrote:Seeing my love for World War II games on the Cube as of late, I am wondering how they are marketed in Europe, particularly Germany, if they're at all released there? I remember the story with Wolfenstein 3D over there. Then again, Capcom had the foresight to release the 19XX series with the lone American pilot taking down all sorts of Japanese ships :lol:
I dont know about Germany, but WW2 games like that sold pretty well where I live. Many WW2 shooters on PC are/used to be very popular, like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat Source and Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 There also quite a lot of WW2 strategy games. I used to be really into the whole WW2 stuff when I was like 13-14. You can check ebay.de for games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty on PS2, there's plenty of games on sale there.

I recently picked up a NTSCJ PS2 Zero Fighter game, you actually make a bombing run on Pearl Harbor. Just thought it was strange that Sega pulled Dreamcast Propellar Arena because of 9/11, yet this was still was published.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:
ExedExes wrote:Seeing my love for World War II games on the Cube as of late, I am wondering how they are marketed in Europe, particularly Germany, if they're at all released there? I remember the story with Wolfenstein 3D over there. Then again, Capcom had the foresight to release the 19XX series with the lone American pilot taking down all sorts of Japanese ships :lol:
I dont know about Germany, but WW2 games like that sold pretty well where I live. Many WW2 shooters on PC are/used to be very popular, like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat Source and Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 There also quite a lot of WW2 strategy games. I used to be really into the whole WW2 stuff when I was like 13-14. You can check ebay.de for games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty on PS2, there's plenty of games on sale there.

I recently picked up a NTSCJ PS2 Zero Fighter game, you actually make a bombing run on Pearl Harbor. Just thought it was strange that Sega pulled Dreamcast Propellar Arena because of 9/11, yet this was still was published.

That's cuz Pearl Harbor was "a long time ago" and 9.11 was pretty much around the corner (like almost within months of the timed release IIRC).
Ah the Mitsubishi Zero; the predecessor to the Mitsubishi Eclipse.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

BurningDoom wrote:I could never take an RPG seriously where Mickey Mouse and freaking Goofy show-up. What's next? God of War meets the Looney Tunes?

It's a good thing Final Fantasy games (and several other jrpgs) dont have those Cait Sith/Quina/whole cast of FFX&X-2 type of characters so you can take their plots of emo teenagers saving the world from illogical bad guys seriously
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Menegrothx wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:I could never take an RPG seriously where Mickey Mouse and freaking Goofy show-up. What's next? God of War meets the Looney Tunes?

It's a good thing Final Fantasy games (and several other jrpgs) dont have those Cait Sith/Quina/whole cast of FFX&X-2 type of characters so you can take their plots of emo teenagers saving the world from illogical bad guys seriously

I'm not a big fan of the later FF games either. But still, emo teens saving the world is a lot more believable than Goofy or Mickey showing up to help out.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

BurningDoom wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:

I'm not a big fan of the later FF games either. But still, emo teens saving the world is a lot more believable than Goofy or Mickey showing up to help out.

In my opinion, what made Kingdom Hearts work initially was the surreal sort of nature that it had. The architecture and art in that game are designed to look distorted and cartoon-esque, as opposed to a traditional fantasy or realistic look. Also, you have to remember that the universe was much more centered around the Disney side than the Final Fantasy side, so Mickey's pals crossing over into other Disney worlds is much less strange than if they had been the only Disney characters in the story. Most all of the main villains are Disney characters themselves, so it's not so utterly jarring to see Donald and Goofy go up against someone like Jafar or Hades. Really, if I were to complain about the blending of universes, I would almost criticize the Final Fantasy elements for seeming more out of place than the Disney ones.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

dsheinem wrote:*my-little-pony-kratos*[/img]

http://brandokay.deviantart.com/art/Mog-of-War-48680422
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I love how all the Zora band members are playing Zelda 1 tunes on their respective instruments when you go into their rooms in Majora's Mask.
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

Post by dreamcast4ever83 »

AppleQueso wrote:I love how all the Zora band members are playing Zelda 1 tunes on their respective instruments when you go into their rooms in Majora's Mask.

Majora's mask is my fav zelda period.

Also twilight princess and skyward which gets some shit but rocks!

Nothing compares to the dark and downright creppy feel of majora's mask. I really enjoyed that game. I think it did not do as well cause it was such a departure from the normal zelda style. Whic is lame cause I liked the fact nintendo took a risk with it.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I lost my GBA flashcart somewhere and it's really starting to bug me. Especially since I really wanted to start playing Minish Cap. :(
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

My random gaming thoughts -

Until the last couple of years 99% of my gaming was on consoles. Now it's almost entirely on PC. My PS3 went YLOD on me a couple of months ago and I can't be bothered to spend the money to replace it.

My latest video game purchase was published in 1992. It's Ultima VII. My last modern purchase was Skyrim. I am getting way more enjoyment out of the former than I ever did the latter.

Ebay can go to hell. The prices of ridiculously common games are often 5X what they ought to be. Turtles in Time is a great game, but $30??? You can beat it on the toughest difficulty in an hour and as popular as the Turtles were in those days they must have made a billion of the damn things.

One of my favorite games on the SNES is Sim City. I don't know what the general consensus is on that version of the game - whether folks love it or hate it that is. But I have probably spent more hours with that game than any other game on the system.

I thought LOTRO was cool.... until my hobbit had to leave the Shire. I think if they made some kind of Star Wars Galaxies-esque MMO where the main activities were crafting, gathering resources, etc. and set it in entirely in the Shire I would pre-order the damn thing.

At 30 years old I wonder if I am aging out of the target demographic for most new games (which I imagine is 16-25 or so). When I was in that age bracket many games appealed to me and it was sometimes difficult to decide where to spend my limited gaming dollars. Now I can count the games that are "coming soon" that appeal to me on one hand, and I don't need all the fingers to do it.

I really like the Harvest Moon series but I don't dare tell my "irl" gaming buddies about that - just you cool internet guys and gals while wrapped in the warm blanket of anonymity...
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!