What are Your 2012 Gaming and Collecting Goals?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

What are Your 2012 Gaming and Collecting Goals?

Post by dsheinem »

I am a stickler for these look back/look forward threads, and here's another one that we also ran last year (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=26770)...

So, looking ahead to 2012, what goals do you have in mind? Are you looking to polish off a certain collection? Play more in a particular franchise or genre, or on a particular system? Spend more or less time gaming?

Gaming Goals:
-I want to 1cc a well-respected shmup
-I want to delve into both classic JRPGs and classic WRPGs even further than I did last year
-I want to find a point and click adventure game that I actually enjoy
-I want to play considerably more PC games (or cross platform games on PC) than I did last year
-I want to spend less time gaming and more time writing about gaming in a meaningful/thought-provoking way (and for a broader audience)

Collecting Goals
-I want to set a clear goal by the end of January for a "major thing" to collect for the year (I know this is a cop out, but I need more time to think it over!)
-I want to round out my PSP and Wii collection when these consoles start getting phased out (already have a good start on this :))
-I want to pick up the vast majority of the remaining Atari 2600/7800/Jaguar games that I have interest in owning.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Re: What are Your 2012 Gaming and Collecting Goals?

Post by BurningDoom »

1. Need to replace my now broken TurboGrafx-16
2. Want a working 3DO
3. Need a Windows 98 based PC to play old PC games
4. Replace my broken Sega CD
5. Might get a PSP if they go down in value once PS Vita hits
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Flake

Post by Flake »

Buy a stand up arcade cab for my living room.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Gaming Goals:

-Spend more time with shmups.
-Play other survival horror games outside the Silent Hill series.
-Beat Dragon Warrior II. (The Grinding!! The G-r-i-n-d-i-n-g!!!)
-Eliminate at least 40 games from my backlog.

Collecting Goals:

-Collect more shmups. Gotta do this to achieve goal #1.
-Collect a few more Silent Hill games from Japan/PAL regions.
-MAYBE get a Vita this year...
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Gaming Goals:

-Get the platinum trophy for Dark Souls
-Complete more shmups
-Complete more From Software games
-Hopefully complete the game I'm working on
-Considering

Collecting Goals:
-Get some more Dreamcast shmups
-Collect every From Software game (need 6 more)
-Complete my Guilty Gear collection (all I need is XX Slash)
Hyp81
16-bit

Post by Hyp81 »

My main goal is to finish acquiring the consoles I am missing from my "retro" collection. I need a Sega CD, a Sega Saturn, a PS1 (have PS2 to play the PS1 games, but for collecting's sake, I need that original "gray box") and an original XBox. I know the original XBox isn't as retro as the others, but it's on my list.

A childhood friend of mine participated in creating the audio tracks for a game coming out for PS3 and XBox 360 this year, a game called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It is schedules for a February release date. I really want to get a pre-owned 360 in time to pick this game up and play it! We'll see if that's in the cards. Never know how finances are gonna be.

I'd also like to beat some of the games I have been working on acquiring. Most notably the three I am working on now (in my sig) along with some others I have started including Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door for Cube and Spyro the Dragon for PS1.

I'd like to participate in one of the Together Retro projects. I like the looks of Wolfenstein 3D.

Mostly I just want to enjoy my new systems and this new hobby I never knew existed prior to this past summer!
Last edited by Hyp81 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NES~SNES~Genesis+32X~SegaCD~Atari Jaguar~N64~Saturn~PS1~Dreamcast~Game Cube~PS2~Wii~XBox 360~XBox One
Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES), Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (GameCube)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Gaming Goals:
Finish the classic Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star games.
Finally beat Operation C.
Stop sucking so bad at shmups.
Complete a couple of Western RPGs.

Collecting Goals:
Acquire more classic CD RPGs (Sega CD/Turbo CD/Saturn).
Acquire most of the current gen games from my Amazon wishlist.
Finish (or at least come close to finishing) my Final Fantasy Collection. I still need the WonderSwan Color version of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, the Crystal Chronicles Wii game, and of course the new games.
Get more games for the following systems: 3DO, Master System, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo AES, and Neo Geo Pocket Color.
Complete my Commodore 64 system. I need the datasette and I'd like to track down the official joystick too.
Maybe get a Vita before the year ends.

That's about it, I don't want to be too ambitious.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Collecting Goals:
Continue buying PC games (PC collecting is a goal without end, you know?)
Buy the last handful of DS games I want that I don't have
Buy the last handful of oXbox games I want that I don't have
Buy the last handful of N64 games I want that I don't have
Upgrade my entire N64 collection to CIB
Buy a next-gen system of some sort: either a revision-model 3DS, a Vita, or a Wii U
VGA Box for my Dreamcast
Component cables for my Gamecube

I have no real gaming goals other than to keep working on my backlog. Also I want to hit 4000 posts this year (it'll be difficult to reach, but I'll try.)
Last edited by BoringSupreez on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Complete my Commodore 64 system. I need the datasette and I'd like to track down the official joystick too.

Just FYI, the Official Commodore joystick is similar to a 1st party 2600 stick, that is it isn't very comfortable to use for long periods of time. If you want it for collection purposes, cool. If you want a stick that's actually good to use, you want to seek out a Suncom or Wico stick.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

BoringSupreez wrote:[b]I have no real gaming goals other than to keep working on my backlog. Also I want to hit 4000 posts this year (it'll be difficult to reach, but I'll try.)

Really? I have a similar goal. To hit 146 posts. :mrgreen: