Games Beaten 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by Gamerforlife »

Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare (Gold Star save file)
2. Sonic Generations - PS3
3. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS (with a five glittering star save file)
4. Starship Defense (All no SOS perfects) - DSiWare
5. Soul of Darkness - DSiWare
6. Mutant Mudds (All crystals and water sprouts) - 3DS Eshop
7. The Simpsons Arcade (US Version) - PS3
8. DodoGo! - DSiWare - (Golden egg on every stage)
9. Mass Effect 2 - 360 (Insanity mode difficulty with Sentinel class)
10. Mass Effect 3 - 360 (Insanity mode with Adept)
11. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 (Platinum trophy)
12. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
13. The Darkness II - Xbox 360
14. Lollipop Chainsaw - PS3 (Platinum trophy) and 360 version (all achievements)
15. Dust: An Elysian Tale - Xbox Live Arcade
16. Cthulu Saves the World - Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Indie Games)
17. Double Dragon Neon - Xbox 360
18. Mark of the Ninja - Xbox 360
19. Journey - PS3
20. Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - PS3 version
21. Fez - Xbox 360
22. Code of Princess - 3DS
23. Sleeping Dogs - 360
24. The Darkness II - Vendetta mode
25. Ratchet and Clank (HD Collection)
26. Ratchet and Clank Going Commando (HD Collection)
27. Gravity Bone - PC
28. Sam & Max Save the World Episode 1 "Culture Shock"
29. Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Sreaming Narwhal
30. Trine - PC
31. Hotline Miami - PC
32. Dear Esther - PC

Sam & Max Save the world Episode 2 - PC
To the Moon - PC

I just finished To the Moon a few minutes ago, spent the better part of the day playing it. It's probably the most moving game I've played this year, excellent story. I teared up a little bit at some parts, despite how hard I tried not to. The story is excellent. I felt like I just finished reading a great novel. The presentation is interesting, it looks like a 16-bit rpg, but plays out more like a traditional PC adventure game. It doesn't have much in the way of tough puzzles though. It's similar to Dear Esther in that there's more of an emphasis on moving the story along than providing any gameplay challenges to get in the way.

The biggest take away from the game is its emotional story, but it also feature a lot of great comedy, most of which is aimed at what you might consider a geeky/nerdy crowd.

If To the Moon ends up being my last game beaten in 2012, it's a good way to end the year. The game is a great reminder that you don't need high end, modern day, realistic graphics to tell a great story. I was surprised at times at how much emotion could be conveyed with just 16-bit looking sprites.

I finished Sam & Max Save the World Episode 2 last night and it was very entertaining, though I liked it slightly less than the first episode. It still made me smile and laugh. Hue Bliss is a funny character, like a weird, self help guru/Michael Jackson hybrid with super powers. I hated that stupid sitcom puzzle, got stuck on that one for a while due to its annoying trial and error nature. This season of the series has been strong so far. I want to move on the Episode 3, but I should probably take some time to go back and finish Episode 2 of Tales of Monkey Island
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

January-June
Bride of Pin*Bot (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - PS3
Super Stardust Delta - Vita
DoDonPachi Resurrection - 360
Bit.Trip Beat - PC
Dear Esther - PC
Wizorb - PC
Sound Shapes - Vita
Infinity Blade - iOS
Infinity Blade II - iOS
Super Star Shooter - X68000
Mortal Kombat (2012) - Vita
Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS
Centipede: Infestation - 3DS
Commando - 7800
Shadow Gun - iOS
Borderlands 2 - PC
Unfinished Swan - PS3
Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Captain's Booty - PC
House of the Dead 4 - PS3
Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) - Arcade (MAME)
D - PS1
Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers 2) - PSP
He-Man: The Most Powerful Game in the Universe - iOS
Halo 4 - 360
Little Big Planet - Vita
Super Crate Box - Vita
Street Fighter X Tekken - iOS
007: Goldeneye Reloaded - PS3
007: Blood Stone 360
Angry Birds: Star Wars - iOS
After Burner Climax - PS3
Sonic 4: Episode 1 - PS3
Borderlands 2: Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage - PC
Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams - PS1
Killer Instinct - SNES
Sonic 4: Episode 2 - PS3
Hotline Miami - PC
NightSky - PC
Super Burnout - - Atari Jaguar
Dead or Alive 3 - Xbox
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - GBA *new*

TOTAL: 78

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

This is the first game I've ever played start to finish on a Game Boy Advance Micro, and I must say that the system really is a joy of a handheld to play on in many ways. I have long been itching to play more of the games spun off from Donkey Kong '94, and this next game in the series didn't fail to disappoint. The last two worlds (5 and 6) were punishing as fuck, and the game's millimeter perfect precision was a lot of fun to master (especially on that tiny screen). I am now ready to play the NDS games in the series in 2013 :)

Two more to go to hit my goal, which I now see as very much in sight. The only question now is whether I want to go retro or modern on this final pair...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gamerforlife wrote:
I just finished To the Moon a few minutes ago, spent the better part of the day playing it. It's probably the most moving game I've played this year, excellent story.

This one has been on my radar for a bit and I hope to get to it in the near future. Looks like something special :)

Seems you are really enjoying your foray into PC gaming!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

dsheinem wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
I just finished To the Moon a few minutes ago, spent the better part of the day playing it. It's probably the most moving game I've played this year, excellent story.

This one has been on my radar for a bit and I hope to get to it in the near future. Looks like something special :)

Seems you are really enjoying your foray into PC gaming!

Yeah, it's been great so far. Games like Dear Esther, Hotline Miami, and To the Moon are especially nice to play, because they aren't games I would have the chance to play on console. Though I am starting to appreciate the other benefits of PC gaming too. A game like Sleeping Dogs looks noticeably prettier on PC (with the high res pack) than on console, and people aren't kidding about those insane PC game sales. I still love my consoles though. I've spent most of my gaming life with them, but delving into PC gaming is really opening up my options as a gamer, and that's a very nice thing

You should definitely try To the Moon. JT had a lot of nice things to say about it too in the best/worst of 2012 thread you started.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote:
Luke wrote:Batman Returns - NES

A very underrated game. Tough as nails, but still underrated. In fact, I'd rate the Batman Returns series as:

SNES
NES
SEGA CD
GENESIS

Never played the game gear version and I had NO clue that there was a version on the SMS. I need to find the sms copy, and fast.

I always thought the Sega CD version was best b/c of the sweet driving sequences. vCan you elaborate a bit on your ranking?

Sure. The snes version at least tries to follow the movie as best as possible. The interactive environments help keep the constant button pressing fun, some of the music is from the movie's soundtrack, and the driving sequence is also a fun experience.

The NES version is battletoads-esque, and I enjoy a challenge. It's a slice of 8-bit heaven that doesn't pull any punches.

The sega CD version does start off with sweet graphics and a great Batmobile chase, but the platforming levels are a bore.The music is great, but isn't from the movie and doesn't "fit" with the game. Plus, the game doesn't have much to do with the movie, for example your enemies are gargoyles and not clowns.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Games Beaten (sorted by console)
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Punch-Out!! Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces Wii
Kirby's Adventure Wii Wii
Battalion Wars 2 Wii
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Wii
Red Steel 2 Wii
Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise Wii
Disaster: Day of Crisis Wii
Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City Wii
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare
Art Style: Rotohex WiiWare
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
StarTropics VC
Ninja Commando VC
Lords of Thunder VC
Ufouria: The Saga VC
Monster World IV VC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC
Resident Evil 4 GC
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance GC
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron N64
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts SNES
Duck Tales NES
Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask 3DS
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure 3DS
Trip World 3DS VC
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 3DS VC
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC
Wario Land 4 3DS VC
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS
Kirby: Mouse Attack DS
Pac-Pix DS
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 DS
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare
Final Fantasy IV Advance GBA
Tekken Advance GBA
F-Zero GP Legend GBA
Pokémon Puzzle Challenge GBC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Game Boy Camera Game Boy
Kirby's Block Ball Game Boy
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge Game Boy
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Mega Bomberman Mega Drive
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Asterix SMS
Ys: The Vanished Omens SMS
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Half Minute Hero PSP
Mega Man: Powered Up PSP
Dissidia 012[Duodecim] Final Fantasy PSP
Final Fantasy V PS1 Classics
Command and Conquer PS1
Dead or Alive 3 XBox
Panzer Dragoon Orta XBox
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Grim Fandango PC
Maniac Mansion PC
Day of the Tentacle PC
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition PC
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge PC
Sam and Max Hit the Road PC
Faselei! NGPC

Stats:
Games beaten by console:
Wii: 11
Wiiware: 2
VC: 6
GC: 3
N64: 1
SNES: 1
NES: 1
3DS: 5
3DS Download: 0
3DS VC: 4
DS: 8
DSiWare: 1
GBA: 3
GBC: 1
Game Boy: 4
Pokémon Mini: 0
Virtual Boy: 0
Dreamcast: 1
Saturn: 1
Mega Drive: 1
Master System: 3
Game Gear: 1
PSP: 4
PS1 Classics: 1
PS2: 0
PS1: 1
XBox: 2
PC: 11
NGPC: 1
3DO: 0

Physical games beaten: 64
Digital games beaten: 14

Console games beaten: 34
Handheld games beaten: 33
Computer games beaten: 11

Modern games beaten (Wii, DS, 3DS, PSP, PC games released since 2006): 34
Retro games beaten (including digital versions): 54

Best game beaten by console (consoles with 2 or more games beaten only):

Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles (Runners Up: Sakura Wars, Rhythm Paradise)
Virtual Console: Ufouria: The Saga (Runners Up: Lords of Thunder, Monster World IV)
WiiWare: Art Style Rotohex
Gamecube: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
3DS: Kid Icarus: Uprising (Runner Up: Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure)
3DS VC: Trip World
DS: Henry Hatsworth & The Puzzling Adventure (Runners Up: Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations)
GBA: F-Zero GP Legend
Game Boy: Kirby's Block Ball
Master System: Golden Axe Warrior
PSP: Gitaroo Man Lives! (Runner Up: Half Minute Hero)
XBox: Panzer Dragoon Orta
PC: Day of the Tentacle

And finally: My Top 10 Best & Worst games played in 2012!

Best:
1. Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS
2. Xenoblade Chronicles Wii
3. Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
4. Half Minute Hero PSP
5. Golden Axe Warrior SMS
6. Day of the Tentacle PC
7. Ufouria: The Saga VC
8. Lords of Thunder VC
9. Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
10. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Wii

A pretty tough decision here, I had to cut another 10 or so possible choices from the list. Kid Icarus Uprising was definitely the most fun I had with a game this year though.

Worst:
1. Wario Land II Game Boy
2. Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
3. StarTropics VC
4. Battalion Wars 2 Wii
5. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge Game Boy
6. Tekken Advance GBA
7. Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC
8. Dissidia 012[Duodecim] Final Fantasy PSP
9. Sam and Max Hit the Road PC
10. Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii

This list as also difficult, but in a different way - most of the games I played this year were pretty decent at worst, and so most of the games that made this list are games I managed to get some sort of enjoyment out of - on the list, only 1-4 were games I could honestly say I didn't like at all. The other 6 games weren't bad, just flawed or unpolished. Some might be surprised to see Wario Land right there at the top, but it's there because whilst Ax Battler was a bad, unbalanced and short game, Wario Land 2 is quite probably the slowest, dullest, most boring and most uninteresting game I've played in a very long time. In this case, the game which was frustratingly bad was better than the game which was frustratingly dull.

78 beaten games makes this year my most successful of the 3 I've been tracking my total. I hope to get a similar number next year too!
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2. The Ball (PC)
3. Tyrian 2000 (PC)
4. Shogo - Mobile Armor Division (PC)
5. Disney's Goof Troop (SNES)
6. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
7. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
8. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)
9. Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye (SNES)
10. Castlevania 64 (N64)
11. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
12. Dungeons of Dredmor (PC)
13. Torchlight (PC)
14. Wild Arms 3 (PS2)
15. The Darkness (PS3)
16. Black Mesa (PC)
17. Dear Esther (PC)
18. Splatterhouse (PS3)
19. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
20. Chaser (PC)
21. Young Merlin (SNES)
22. Warsow (PC)
23. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)

This will most likely be the final game I beat this year, so I suppose tomorrow I'll be busy breaking down statistics of everything I played through. But what a way to end the year. The Advance version of FF6 is a fantastic port of a great game with some excellent additional dungeons and espers. I do have a couple of things left to do (fill out the bestiary and beat the Soul Shrine), so I'm not done yet. But it was a wonderful return to a game I've loved since childhood, and while I miss some of the quirkiness of the original translation, the update has given the game a more mature feel that I appreciate as an adult. So if getting a copy of the original proves difficult, I'd be happy to recommend this one to fans.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:78 beaten games makes this year my most successful of the 3 I've been tracking my total. I hope to get a similar number next year too!

That's a great list, AJ. I need to give Kid Icarus Uprising another shot as I played about an hour or so and was not enamored with it...your commitment to portable gaming is remarkable.

I just finished up my 80th about 10 minutes ago, so I'm going to get crackin' on amy final list and totals soon. I also need to take a picture, of course :lol:

Ack wrote:So if getting a copy of the original proves difficult, I'd be happy to recommend this one to fans.

I've debated picking up a copy of this game outside of the one I have for PS1, but not sure if it is worth doing. Have you played that port? If you had to rank SNES-PS1-GBA ports, how would you and why?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Gamerforlife wrote:
I finished Sam & Max Save the World Episode 2 last night and it was very entertaining, though I liked it slightly less than the first episode. It still made me smile and laugh. Hue Bliss is a funny character, like a weird, self help guru/Michael Jackson hybrid with super powers. I hated that stupid sitcom puzzle, got stuck on that one for a while due to its annoying trial and error nature. This season of the series has been strong so far. I want to move on the Episode 3, but I should probably take some time to go back and finish Episode 2 of Tales of Monkey Island

I will say Episode 2 of Save the World is probably one of the worst, but stick with it, because episode 4 and 5 I loved.

All of the Telltale Sam and Max games are pretty good, but I feel Season 2 (Beyond Time & Space) isn't as good as the first. The third season (The Devil's Playhouse) is probably the best in my eyes.

Having played through Sam & Max Hit the Road in the last month or so, I honestly like the Telltale games more than the LucasArts game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

dsheinem wrote:
Ack wrote:So if getting a copy of the original proves difficult, I'd be happy to recommend this one to fans.

I've debated picking up a copy of this game outside of the one I have for PS1, but not sure if it is worth doing. Have you played that port? If you had to rank SNES-PS1-GBA ports, how would you and why?

I've played a bit of the PS1 version, and I'd say I like it the least of the three. Sure, the loading times aren't terrible when compared to other PS1 games, but after having experienced it on a SNES cart, it feels like torture. And with the GBA version also getting the Bestiary and music player, really the only reason to play the PS1 port for me is the CG videos.

This may seem like sacrilege to some of the folks here, but I would actually rate the GBA version the highest of the three, as I love the additions, and I appreciate the translation changes, which made the game feel more authentic. I will always have a soft spot for the SNES original, but for someone new to the game or who doesn't experience the same level of nostalgia, I would argue that the GBA update is the one to go with. So for me, GBA>SNES>PS1, definitely.