Gaming in the 90s was awesome...

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
brainofjtd
24-bit

Re: Gaming in the 90s was awesome...

Post by brainofjtd »

Oh I believe you. You just should've seen the face of disbelief I was wearing when I read it. lol

Let's see 90's gaming...

Did anyone else rent the shit out of games? I was too poor as a kid for anything new outside Christmas, but I got weekend rentals. Opened up my horizons more than anything I must say. I know it's probably been discussed, but hey... whatever.
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

Post by ReddMcKnight »

brainofjtd wrote:Oh I believe you. You just should've seen the face of disbelief I was wearing when I read it. lol

Let's see 90's gaming...

Did anyone else rent the shit out of games? I was too poor as a kid for anything new outside Christmas, but I got weekend rentals. Opened up my horizons more than anything I must say. I know it's probably been discussed, but hey... whatever.

I rented many games back then. One memory in particular was my rental of Mega Man X. I ended up keeping the game for way longer than I was allowed to. Man, they were pissed. lol.
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
brainofjtd
24-bit

Post by brainofjtd »

You did that too?! Mega Man is THE rental series. I played all of the NES games 1-7, X and X2 so many times. So satisfying.
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Nice thread. It was definitely a time of experimentation and discovery. I am really happy to have been able to experience it at the age I did (I turned 11 in 1990 and was REALLY into games up through about 1996-97).

You guys should check out this quick vid:

http://tv.gawker.com/5731995/the-touchi ... times-sake
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

brainofjtd wrote:Did anyone else rent the shit out of games? I was too poor as a kid for anything new outside Christmas, but I got weekend rentals. Opened up my horizons more than anything I must say. I know it's probably been discussed, but hey... whatever.

Thanks to this I pretty much played every remotely notable n64 game.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

brainofjtd wrote:Oh I believe you. You just should've seen the face of disbelief I was wearing when I read it. lol

Let's see 90's gaming...

Me too I couldn't afford anything back in those days and you know what It served me well because it saved on clutter but I did play loaaaads of games back then and sadly every good game is not a good game worth owning.
Sometimes no matter how good a game is its only worth one time play through ie a rental.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

msimplay wrote:

Let's see 90's gaming...

Me too I couldn't afford anything back in those days and you know what It served me well because it saved on clutter but I did play loaaaads of games back then and sadly every good game is not a good game worth owning.
Sometimes no matter how good a game is its only worth one time play through ie a rental.

I constantly rented games. And I had the coolest mom-n-pop video store within walking distance to my house. I'd go mow random lawns in the neighborhood for money, and the often spend it there. It was called Video Depot. It had a HUGE selection of games, an entire room dedicated to games. And it had a HUGE collection of eclectic horror movies that I'd also rent.

The coolest thing about Video Depot, though, was the game room. Not only was it for taking home games to rent. But they also had multiple systems set-up including NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, and Atari Jaguar (it was done right before PSX and N64 came out). You'd pay for an hour at a time and you could play any games not already rented out during that time. You could switch games as many times as you wanted. It was awesome to bring a bunch of friends in there and play multiplayer.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I rented NES games all the time since I couldn't afford to buy many. I had a very small allowance and usually the only extra money I had was either birthday, Christmas, or when the neighbors down the street went on their bi-annual 2 week vacations and I'd watch the house and the pets.
ryanofcali
16-bit

Post by ryanofcali »

Ah the days when paying for a "lost" rented game was less than the retail price. :lol:
Lord_Santa
128-bit

Post by Lord_Santa »

90's brought us "cinematic" games (what's it called? FMV?) and 3D games..

I prefer the 80's...

*sighs with nostalgia*

:edit

scratch that
my 80's ended in '92, so I guess the 90's did have some good to it
Last edited by Lord_Santa on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-64 will never die
- only the players