why there is not stuff like this anymore?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
boobie
16-bit

why there is not stuff like this anymore?

Post by boobie »

ok.. so i was bored and was surfing around the web and ended up watching couple of angryvideogamenderd episodes.. i havent been watching them like in 5 years but i thought well i dont have anything else to do..
so i watched this video: http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/02/18/avgn-swordquest/
and i was blown away.. i think thats the most awesomest thing that has been in video gaming.. ok im not the biggest fan of gaming "junk".. but creating "a real adventure" with real treasure is genius to me..

but i got mixed feelings how that video endend.. i sorta whished that the game serie would have gotten the last game published and all the treasure would be here some where.. but i think that it got a nice mystical ending the way it endend..
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: why there is not stuff like this anymore?

Post by Hobie-wan »

Seems that most of those contests went away by the mid 90s. The only other related things I can think of were the really stupid Acclaim things like changing your name to Turok and the tattoo thing.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

The closest we seem to have nowadays is signing up for an upcoming game's facebook page and randomly being selected to receive a free download code.. Pretty lame when you take into consideration Atari's epic Swordquest promotion..

And who else misses the Nintendo World Championships? What kid in the late 80's/early 90's didn't dream of being the kid in The Wizard? Now, it's like unless you play Halo or Madden, you're SOL.. :roll:
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

Isn't there this? I mean it is 600,000 more dollars than the swordquest rewards (adjusted for inflation,)
http://www.destructoid.com/2k-sports-1- ... 0974.phtml
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:The closest we seem to have nowadays is signing up for an upcoming game's facebook page and randomly being selected to receive a free download code.. Pretty lame when you take into consideration Atari's epic Swordquest promotion..

Someone missed the Great Steam Treasure Hunt.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

you can chalk that up to disposable 80's income!

Back then gaming was in its infancy, Today it is a part of everyday life.

Plus today with our wired world, it would cause problems with cheaters, spammers, and trolls!

games were simpler back then and it was easy to make the game difficult to achieve the mail in prize or contest bonus.

Today a simple hacker can defeat the game and get the specific code or screen to enter a contest and win.

there may be contests and prizes in future games but they will never reach the crazyness of the ___quest contest
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

ARGs (alternate/augmented reality games) are often like this. They blur the lines between what is real and what is a game. Before Nine Inch Nails released the Year Zero album, it was first intentionally leaked by leaving USB keys in bathroom stalls of venues they had played at. There were clues on the USB keys and they spread around the internet. Once released, the CD itself had links to mysterious websites that held further clues. The various websites began to pull together an alternate world of political corruption and manipulation, of possible alien encounters, of mass poisonings, and of artist resistance groups. If you were part of it while it was happening like I was, it was really exciting to be seeking out the next clue and trying to figure out what was going on and when the next clue would drop.

A small group of people devoted to the NIN ARG pieced together information that led them to a warehouse in Los Angeles. This is what they encountered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86yYBROR ... re=related

If I had been there, I think I would have shit my pants twice. First from being freaked out, second from being so excited.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

After watching that I really want those comics for my collection!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

SpaceBooger wrote:After watching that I really want those comics for my collection!

I have one of them! they are slightly larger than a dvd case.

I belive that they were done by DC comics

http://www.atariage.com/comics/index.html

a link for you! these are scans from the comics!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

flojocabron wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:After watching that I really want those comics for my collection!

I have one of them! they are slightly larger than a dvd case.

I belive that they were done by DC comics

http://www.atariage.com/comics/index.html

a link for you! these are scans from the comics!

Nice find! Thanks.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.