Sub Genres... Let's Move 'Em Up

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Re: Sub Genres... Let's Move 'Em Up

Post by optmusprimenumber »

General_Norris wrote:We need a forum that should contain half of the games mentioned in this site called "Murder simulators"

ha! i traded in a couple games once... Hitman and some other "murder simulator" and the gamestop dude was like "man you sure like murdering people" ... or something like that. it was funny

Limewater wrote:I think in general this is a bad idea. There's no much point in having any sort of gaming taxonomy if, once things get big enough, they get their own entire genre. As far as I can tell, gaming now uses just a two-level classification scheme-- genres and sub genres. If anything, I think we probably need MORE levels to better describe the similarities games have.

Valid point, but as I was saying... how do you classify a bunch of games that share "stealth" or "survival horror(ness)" as a common theme? it doesn't make sense to call Splinter Cell a shooter or Tenchu an action game or Theif an adventure game... it's just not specific enough since Stealth is in fact the theme. It is a genre, it's just not recognized. Same for Survival Horror games, there's just no other name for them yet once again, it is a genre but it's not recognized. Those are really the only two sub-genres that I believe have become full fledged genres and should be treated as such. My examples of shooters was just that, an example.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

General_Norris wrote:We need a forum that should contain half of the games mentioned in this site called "Murder simulators"

Half?

Anything with guns in it - Murder simulator - Bonus points for exploding sentient beings into the vacuum of space
Platformers - Headstomping and bottomless pit murder simulators
Racing - Dinosaurs juice murder simulator - Bonus points for crash murder simulators
Puzzle - Block murder simulators
Pinball - Pixel screen or holo-creature murder simulators

Only music rhythm games might be exampt. Wait no those murder actual brain cells. :lol:

I am of course poking fun.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Hobie-wan wrote:

Half?

I can think of a few graphic adventure games where you only inadvertently kill people. So, I could see them not counting as murder simulators during the first play-through. Manslaughter simulators, sure, but not murder.

However, what happens on the second playthrough? Your character may not know that he's about to kill someone, but you certainly do. Does it then become a murder simulator?
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Limewater wrote:I can think of a few graphic adventure games where you only inadvertently kill people. So, I could see them not counting as murder simulators during the first play-through. Manslaughter simulators, sure, but not murder.

However, what happens on the second playthrough? Your character may not know that he's about to kill someone, but you certainly do. Does it then become a murder simulator?

So does Bible Adventures for NES count as a murder simulator? The only fun I get out of that game is throwing Baby Moses into the river.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Hobie-wan wrote:

Half?

Anything with guns in it - Murder simulator - Bonus points for exploding sentient beings into the vacuum of space
Racing - Dinosaurs juice murder simulator - Bonus points for crash murder simulators

Only music rhythm games might be exampt. Wait no those murder actual brain cells. :lol:

You can also murder people with a guitar in Brutal Legend :wink:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

Hobie-wan wrote:

Half?

Ha! We all know, deep down, that Jack Thompson was right! Video games are violent. I mean, what did the ball do to deserve the beating those paddles give it in Pong? :roll: