Back-up hardware; Am I the only one who does this?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Flake

Back-up hardware; Am I the only one who does this?

Post by Flake »

Someone walks into my apartment and they see the following: A gamecube + gba player, a wii, a dreamcast, a ps2, and a Saturn.

What they DON'T see is the plastic crate under my couch and in my closet with 3 more gamecubes of various colors, 2 more dreamcasts, 1 PSX, 1 PSone, 1 retroduo, 1 SNES, a couple GBA's, a couple NDS, more controllers than I'll ever need, extra memory cards, power cords, the whole shebang.

Justification? This stuff might someday break down and render my wall of games a useless collection of plastic and silicon?

Am I a hoarder or do you guys do this too?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Contagion13
32-bit

Re: Back-up hardware; Am I the only one who does this?

Post by Contagion13 »

I keep a spare snes and a 360 so the idea isn't crazy at all, I need to get a spare Saturn soon
"I'm not the jury or the judge, I am the gallows and the noose!" ~TOTA
"YES I KNOW THE GAME IS IN FREAKIN JAPANESE!!!!!!!!!!!"
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

I have "backup" systems, but my justification isn't the same. I never ended up with doubles/triples+ of systems because of possible technical failure, but more so that it just happened.

Mostly just years of buying system/game mystery boxes/lots from craigslist, yard sales, ebay, etc. Just never bothered to get rid of most of them.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

If I see them on the cheap I tend to pick up a backup, but most of my duplicate systems I 'donate' to friends with small children, etc.
Pichu
128-bit

Post by Pichu »

I want some backup hardware. I have two N64's, but that's it. I'm hopin to get another of the followin:

GBA Original
GBA Micro
DS Original
Gamecube
NES

Because those are most prone to breakin in my eyes.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

*stands suspiciously between Flake and the closet*

What sort of crazy talk is that sir?

"Hey, get away from my computer!"

"Don't you dare open that games.xls file!"

*tackle*
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I don't have any backup hardware, myself but I can see why you'd get backup consoles.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
JordanPlayer
64-bit

Post by JordanPlayer »

Don't really see much of a point in back up hardware; out of all the consoles I have (NES through current gen) I've only had to replace a 72-pin in my NES... nothing else has died on me. Thus, having back-up consoles has never crossed my mind; if one of them breaks down for some reason then I'll start looking to pick another up.
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

I've got an extra Dreamcast and Saturn "just in case..." one breaks or I need to swap something out, since my originals get alot of use. Hate to see them collecting dust, but they were good deals. Got a few extra model 1 Genesis's and Atari Flashbacks in various states of disassembly, again, found on the cheap. I also have a back up Vectrex. Mostly got it for two extra controllers.
Speaking of which, i've got more gamepads I could possibly use, bought with the intent of customizing or joystick modding. All i've done so far is add LED's to a few. I need to get off my ass and do some more with them, i'm starting to feel like a hoarder.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I keep backups of most of my consoles, also handy for car shows. Compared to cart based machines, actually a smart move especially with less robust components as a CD/DVD reader.

Local Salvation Army has the exact same model 200 pound Sony HD CRT for sale and I am tempted. I seen one also a few months ago at the swap meet. I know I'm going to regret not buying if mine ever fails. So where to put, if I do buy that duplicate monster. :lol:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425