What to do with dead GB carts?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Opa Opa

Re: What to do with dead GB carts?

Post by Opa Opa »

You could just change out the dead battery...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Opa Opa wrote:You could just change out the dead battery...

it's not the battery that's dead.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

noiseredux wrote:it's not the battery that's dead.

Are you absolutely sure? You might want to try changing the battery before tossing the cart.

If that doesn't work you could just learn to juggle by throwing dead Game Boy games or play fetch with your dog. :)
joehero
32-bit

Post by joehero »

I had the exact same experience with The Legend of Zelda links awakening DX. I changed the battery and it worked fine after. Maybe its just a coincidence.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

it's not the battery. The battery is only there to save a game. That would have nothing to do with the game starting. I have a couple games with dead batteries, but I can still play the game. Just can't save. Similarly, the other two games I mentioned I've had similar dead-cart issues with (Galaga/Galaxian, Sneaky Snakes) didn't even have batteries at all.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

noiseredux wrote:in the case of my FFL2 it loads up, hits the first note of music in the intro and sustains for infinity. So yeah. Something's off. I already bought a replacement (with manual this time!) but...

Exact same thing my dead ones do. Start a game and the music freaks out

Opa Opa wrote:You could just change out the dead battery...

I took the battery out of the Pokemon Red I have in order to see if a 2032 corded battery would fit in. I didn't actually install it because Pokemon doesn't interest me. Without a battery at all, the cart acts the exact same. I can try soldering one in just to be absolutely sure, but I doubt it will make a difference. I'll check tonight though.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Got it. If you have kids (or ever have kids) put it in a gameboy pocket and give it to them to play. When they come to you saying 'it doesn't work' tell them they broke it and they have to buy you a new one.

Win-win situation.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

noiseredux wrote:it's not the battery. The battery is only there to save a game. That would have nothing to do with the game starting. I have a couple games with dead batteries, but I can still play the game. Just can't save. Similarly, the other two games I mentioned I've had similar dead-cart issues with (Galaga/Galaxian, Sneaky Snakes) didn't even have batteries at all.

Well I guess the last option is cleaning. Also, try playing the game on a different system. I don't know what you're using but it never hurts to try switching consoles/handhelds.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Opa Opa wrote:Well I guess the last option is cleaning.

:lol: Did you read my first post?

noiseredux wrote:I have the official Nintendo GB cleaning kit and tried it to no avail. I've also tried warm water on the PCB. Nothing.

as far as switching systems, I've tried it on my GBA SP and my GameCube GB Player.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

noiseredux wrote: :lol: Did you read my first post?

Whoops. Forgot what it said. :wink:

noiseredux wrote:as far as switching systems, I've tried it on my GBA SP and my GameCube GB Player.

Was there any startup difference between the two?