have you ever beaten a game in a language not your own?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: have you ever beaten a game in a language not your own?

Post by ZeroAX »

aaron wrote:strange way to word this question, i guess... basically i'm wondering if you've ever beaten a foreign language version of a game, either by fudging through it, or just being knowledgeable.

all the time :P

I don't think I've ever got through a heavy on text game that isn't English though. Somehow I don't think the language barrier was ever a problem when I played French and Japanese platformers.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

When I was a kid I would play both English and Japanese games and it would be the same for me, I didn't know either language. Now I know English - still not my language, but I'm at home with it.
gumbooo

Post by gumbooo »

at the age of 14
1. Rambo (NES), Japanese version, no idea what was going on, but game was beaten "blindly" and yeah, i had lots of fun writing down those passwords (Japanese symbols).
2. Leisure Suit Larry 1(DOS) in English, those days i just started to learn English, so this game+dictionary was very helpful combination for my future development :roll:

Now trying to play D2 for DC in Japanese, but am too old for it..
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

Vampire Savior

Although, that really doesn't count. Beating 8 states of a fighting game in any foreign language is hardly a challenge or a point of frustration.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

A cousin gave me tactic gameboy game, ultraman series. beat that that game when I was 13 years old. All I had to do is keep pressing a and move around a bit.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
HellHammer
64-bit

Post by HellHammer »

Yuuuup. Mother 3.

Never actually beat it in English, funny enough.
GamerMON
Next-Gen

Post by GamerMON »

Xmen vs Street Fighter and House of the Dead Jp for Saturn. Both of those games have English instructions.
Yukima
32-bit

Post by Yukima »

A whole bunch of Super Famicom games, mostly shooters (Macross and Gundam Wing) and puzzle games (Panel de Pon). And some RPGs - I played the translated roms first, then played the Japanese versions once I got the original SFC carts.

I also beat Pokemon Soul Silver in Japanese before the English version came out... though that was mostly due to me memorizing everything after playing Crystal way too many times over the years! :P
Retr0bright console de-yellowing guide:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17667
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

People saying they played fighting games in Japanese are cheating.
axlryder
16-bit

Post by axlryder »

aaron wrote:strange way to word this question, i guess... basically i'm wondering if you've ever beaten a japanese or other foreign language version of a game, either by fudging through it, using a translation guide, or just being knowledgeable.

i've beaten willy wombat and clockwork knight for saturn (NTSC-J), and i managed to fudge my way through front mission: gun hazard before i got the translation patch. i need to beat more games.

I actually beat gun hazard too. I still can't believe they never brought that one over