racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro: Command & Conquer

by racketboy Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am

BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Command & Conquer

by BoringSupreez Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:08 pm

I am. Kane is one of the best villians ever. C&C showed that live-action cutscenes in a video game could be done right.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm

I've got the Saturn version of this that I have never played. Sounds like a good opportunity to give it a go.

I played Warcraft 2 on the Saturn all the way to the end, but it was damned hard work with no mouse.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

I for one will be.

If it were not for a good computer friend I had in high school I probably would not have played nearly half the great games I did for the PC. I was shown Dune II and Warcraft 1 & 2 and after all that the great C&C. Early RTS games were something I enjoyed very much, and I was never able to beat the GDI campaign more than likely because my limited attention span and constant defeats got in the way.

Now that EA in their probably most generous and least corporate move have offered us this classic as a free download, I am more than ready to take it all on again.

I also found out in addition to the free first game download they also released Red Alert and Tiberian Sun with its expansion pack for free (!)

But of course you could always get that $12.99 First Decade pack at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-F ... 147&sr=8-2

So yeah, I hope many will re-discover or see how good this game was for the first time. Much like Wolf3D, this will be a return to gaming greatness for me.
Last edited by ExedExes on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:I am. Kane is one of the best villians ever. C&C showed that live-action cutscenes in a video game could be done right.

It was one of my first real FMV gaming experiences and it ran so well on my ancient Pentium 75 :lol:
KDub
Next-Gen

by KDub Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 pm

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:11 pm

I have Decade on the way.

I can tell you all the Saturn version is definitely the best console version, but it still really sucks playing with a controller. I do believe it works with the netlink mouse if you can find it though. The PS1 version also works with it's mouse.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:21 pm

For those of you playing on First Decade, get the fan patch. It fixes alot of the issues and makes it so you dont have to have the disc in to play. Red Alert is one of my favorite games of all time, I may be crap at all other RTS's but I can play a mean game of RA1 or 2. C&C is a fun title, with awesome unit designs and a great story. Though C&C2 has one thing over its older brother - JAMES EARL JONES.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:56 pm

I got the regular stand-alone free version, and I noticed the First Decade patch also adds the patch I just put on my game --

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

Nyerguds C&CGold 1.06c patch updated 4/5/12

This patch will update Command & Conquer Gold to version 1.06c revision 3. This version includes several program bug fixes, graphics updates, mission fixes and new features, like higher resolutions, a language addon system, and lots of new options for making missions and mods.

Can't wait to see that. Finally got the darn thing installed and will start with the GDI and breeze through the easier missions.
arnold_the_bartender
64-bit

by arnold_the_bartender Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:55 pm

ExedExes wrote:I got the regular stand-alone free version, and I noticed the First Decade patch also adds the patch I just put on my game --

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

Nyerguds C&CGold 1.06c patch updated 4/5/12

This patch will update Command & Conquer Gold to version 1.06c revision 3. This version includes several program bug fixes, graphics updates, mission fixes and new features, like higher resolutions, a language addon system, and lots of new options for making missions and mods.

Can't wait to see that. Finally got the darn thing installed and will start with the GDI and breeze through the easier missions.

Yeah, nyerguds patch is awesome. Been playing with it for years from my TFD install. Didn't know an updated version came out two months ago. Time for me to grab it. You can also play Tiberian Dawn on CnCnet. I've been on their servers. Most of the people are playing Red Alert though.

http://cncnet.org/statistics
What a maneuver!

My j00tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/arnoldthebartender
Return to Together Retro