Together Retro: Dark Forces

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Together Retro: Dark Forces

Post by Ack »

Hobie-wan wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
dsheinem wrote:So the beginning of Jabba's level is a real bitch. :evil:

Ok, the start of this level was a bitch but it just makes the level that much better as a whole - it is certainly one of the most memorable from the game and really brings together many of my favorite aspects of DF so far. .

Amusingly I had no problem with the beginning bits where you are, *ahem* underpowered. It's missing the grenades raining down on my head and the damn reptile bounty hunters with that stupid blue gun.

So obviously I finished level 9 - the city and I'm on the Jabba stage. I still haven't found a better weapon than the cutter #6, which I can't use, leaving me with the repeater rifle #5 as my best firepower.

Those stupid blue guns are Trandoshan battle rifles. They're actually one of my favorite weapons because you just have to aim in the general direction of someone, and I like fire-and-forget. Level 9 was Nar Shaddaa, a space station that orbits Nal Hutta, the Hutt homeworld.

Yes, I used to be a Star Wars geek. I say used to be, as I haven't really been into it for a long time, I just remember a lot of what I learned.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

SpaceBooger wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:You can copy the files to another location. Just go to your SteamApps folder and Ctrl+Drag the files.

That worked great, I guess the space in the file location name threw the program off.
Thanks!

Ah yes, remember this is an old DOS game, so it doesn't play nice with long filenames and spaces. I install stuff to C:\Games so my path was just C:\Games\Dark. Speaking of I really dislike the C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\Based off an Idea by George Lucas\Star Wars\Game Number 5 In The Series\Dark Forces style folders that games have wanted to make since Win 98 days. :?

Glad you got it working. :)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I haven't had any problems adjusting to the modified controls via the Steam version, but I occasionally get color problems where my HUD display will turn green/blue/black or some other color. Usually when I hit Escape and then head back in to the game, all is fine - but not always. Today I ended up with this kind of screen (from Doom, obviously) and had to quit/restart as it became unplayable:

I tried changing my color palette to 16-bit, but it made no difference. Any other suggestions?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Driver updates? Looks like the video card is getting confused when swapping away and back to the game. Though for the Doom I'd also suggest playing it using the ZDoom or other engine update so you get nice things such as looking up and down and transparency with projectiles.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hobie-wan wrote:Driver updates? Looks like the video card is getting confused when swapping away and back to the game. Though for the Doom I'd also suggest playing it using the ZDoom or other engine update so you get nice things such as looking up and down and transparency with projectiles.

I don't have the problem with Doom, that was just a sample shot I found online.

It doesn't happen when switching out - in fact when I "Escape" to fix I literally mean hit the ESC key to bring up the menu. I hit it again and the HUD is (usually) ok.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

dsheinem wrote:I haven't had any problems adjusting to the modified controls via the Steam version, but I occasionally get color problems where my HUD display will turn green/blue/black or some other color.

I'd try playing with the "output" line in dosbox.conf.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hatta wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I haven't had any problems adjusting to the modified controls via the Steam version, but I occasionally get color problems where my HUD display will turn green/blue/black or some other color.

I'd try playing with the "output" line in dosbox.conf.

Good idea, although with 2 levels left and the issue only sporadically a problem, I may just try to finish without it.

What a fantastic game so far.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Bah! I just spent an hour playing the last level and must have been *right near* the end when I died. Fuck. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on this last stage - it is a long one and it is tough! I'll give it another go tomorrow morning.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

this thread is an example of why I shy away from PC gaming. For every 1 post about the game there's like 5 posts about how to get it working. :?
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

Post by NebachadnezzaR »

I partially agree with you, pc gaming can be troublesome at times, and even more so when you're talking about old games. If I were having more trouble with the standard version of Dark Forces I would probably just swap it for the psx version, but then you have to take mods like DarkXL in consideration. This thing is a godsend, I just can't see myself playing without full mouse control anymore. A great game just became greater :D

Just got past levels 7 and 8, I think. The first was pretty fun, although I got stuck in that part where you're surrounded by piles of boxes (after the first wide-open areas with the grenade tossers). After that was the ice level, which was pretty fun! I didn't notice much difference in the controls. At first I was kinda lost, until I noticed the panel that you have to shoot to open the door in the conveyor-belt. After that it was a pretty wild ride, until I fell into the pit of gas and lost because I had no idea you got to actually activate the gas mask, not just have it on the inventory.

I got to say, although this game can get annoying at times, when I'm totally stuck, or lost, or die because of a small mistake (some save points would be nice), it can also be incredibly fun. I can rarely beat a level on my first try, but after I die a couple of times I'm already so familiar with it I find myself blazing through it like I've played it all my life.