The MetalJesus Video Thread

Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Re: Metal Jesus Rocks - Live & RAW!

Post by Metal Jesus »

Ziggy587 wrote:Have you ever considered doing a video on Sierra games?

Oh yeah... definitely.

At some point, I would really like to do a big love-fest for Dynamix. They created some of my favorite games while I worked at Sierra: Earthsiege, Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, Incredible Machine, Rise of the Dragon, 3D Ultra Pinball, etc...etc...
Ziggy

Re: Metal Jesus Rocks - Live & RAW!

Post by Ziggy »

It's just kinda funny for me because back in the 90's I was primarily a console gamer. I had a few games on the PC, but that's not where I spent most of my time. I didn't even really consider the computer to be a gaming platform. I went a while without playing or even thinking about my old PC games. But after going back through and remember them, I realized that I had a few Sierra games. Back in the 90's, you were really limited to exposure. I had no idea how big Sierra was. Now that I realize, it'd be kind of nice to know what other Sierra games would be worth checking out.

I realized how nostalgic I am for that Sierra logo start up screen.

Bah bum bum bummmm, bum bum baaaaah........ Ding..... Dong

It's kinda like some one nostalgic for the PS1, getting to see that start up logo and music every time they start a game. To me, that's what every PC game should start up with. :lol:
Metal Jesus
128-bit

HOW TO Catalog Your Games

Post by Metal Jesus »

http://youtu.be/FzViARzHQJw <--YouTube

Every serious gamer wants a good solution for cataloging their game collection. But which site or application should you choose? I demo 6 of the most popular methods of organizing your game collection and show you the Pros & Cons of each.

Shown:
RFGeneration.com
Collectorz.com
Backloggery.com
VGCollect.com
GameVault (iOS app)
Delicious-monster.com

What are YOU using?
mjmjr25

Re: HOW TO Catalog Your Games

Post by mjmjr25 »

I use my memory in my brain.

Do you think others should try it?
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

I have recently liquidated nearly all of my physical collection. So, now I have about 50-70 physical games across all of my systems and hundreds of digital games. So, my digital games are tracked on Steam and the few I have on consoles. So, with so few physical games I don't feel the need to catalog them.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Good info for a question that does come up on forums occasionally. I'm a spreadsheet user. There weren't many options that didn't cost money when I first catalogged my music years ago at a time I had far less 'play' money. So sheets it was and when I moved on to catalog movies, games, and diecast cars, I kept going with new files. For my game file I have a sheet that's hardware to list systems with notable accessories next to them, then I have sheets for each system to separate out the games. My columns are as follows for the game file.

Title - title of the game obviously
Country - so I can indicate imports, though sometimes this is the notreallyacountry EU
Condition - complete, case, box, cart, disc, book, or a combination of those
Other - general notes field, it could indicate if it is Greatest Hits, a 5 screw NES cart, has a obi, or things of that nature
Type - a lax genre descriptor
Rarity - recently added and using ratings from NA or DP, mostly for my own amusement and to find out surprising things like a loose NES Qix cart being more rare than a complete NES Ultimate Stuntman
Price - recently added to see how much I spent on things and so in the future I can either cry over how much I've spent, or dance a jig because I got something before people decided some game was the latest gotta have it old title.

For those thinking about catalogging, don't be daunted by the initial entry of things that you have. Do a bit at a time. Depending on the size of your collection, maybe do one system a weekend or maybe A-M this time and N-Z next. Once you have your existing things in, adding stuff as you acquire it is easy if you stay on top of it. :)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Frag Mortuus wrote:I have recently liquidated nearly all of my physical collection. So, now I have about 50-70 physical games across all of my systems and hundreds of digital games. So, my digital games are tracked on Steam and the few I have on consoles. So, with so few physical games I don't feel the need to catalog them.

That's actually a good number to start though that isn't bonkers and you can stay on top of it as things go up and down from here. If you wait and that number is 100 a year from now, you might then jump from "why bother" to "ugh too much work" or "I'll do it later". Of course if you don't care too much about having a catalog, then so be it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nice video! I too admit attempting to remember what games I have when out shopping. Sometimes I telephone back to the house and ask my son to verify the titles on the shelf. Not a great solution but reliable unless my tech support is not home. :lol:

The online database that can also display in the cell phone seems the best solution so games can be checked while at the store or Swap Meet. I have reservations of not accessing an online Data Base after spending so much time entering everything though.

The offline Spreadsheet option such as Excel can also take time to build, but at least it is always available and there are phones that can display Excel files. For now I just maintain a notepad list of games wanted in my phone for each system.

@ Hobie - That looks like a great start for someone going the home entry route. I think adding a system category and having just one file might be better? This way a game can pop up in a search and show what all systems you already own it on. Saves having to look thru separate data base files of various systems.

Maybe even include that category for Greatest Hits or Initial Release? This is handy not only for just identifying; some Greatest Hits and Initial releases have extra features added or removed. All this could be added to the notes for a particular game though.

All this is probably moot to me though, I'm way past that why bother category. :oops:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

I use backloggery, i refuse to pay to catalog my collection.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

Hazerd wrote:I use backloggery, i refuse to pay to catalog my collection.

I'm not sure I understand the aversion to paying for software that somebody uses a lot. Especially if it is of high quality and costs less than one used game.