Arcade Classics - #1 Gyruss

Post game-related video clips here
jeffro11
128-bit

Arcade Classics - #1 Gyruss

Post by jeffro11 »

This adventure into the world of arcade games will be taking a look at the past games of our childhood. We will revisit some of the classics that we loved, and some of the games we love to hate.

There is a reason why I chose this as my first in the series... I absolutely LOVE this game. At the time when I first played this game I was standing in front of it and Mortal Kombat, why did I gravitate towards this game? Have a look your self:
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Arcade Classics - #1 Gyruss

Post by Hobie-wan »

Gyruss was the first arcade game with stereo sound. One of the movie theaters growing up had a Gyruss cab that I always played a round or two when seeing a movie there. I played the heck out of it on C64 as well.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Gyruss had stereo sound?

The first game listed by Guinness World Records with a stereo sound chip & soundtrack was Marble Madness.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

ExedExes wrote:Gyruss had stereo sound?

The first game listed by Guinness World Records with a stereo sound chip & soundtrack was Marble Madness.

Gyruss - 1983
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... me_id=8060
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyruss

Marble Madness - 1984
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... me_id=8618
jeffro11
128-bit

Post by jeffro11 »

The hardware in the Gyruss cabinet at the time was pretty incredible. Two Z80's and a 6809 that were pushed pretty hard! All in all it made for a wonderful experience.

And yes, the stereo sound is pretty incredible while standing at the cabinet. While you can listen to the music on your computer or on youtube, actually being there listening to the raw audio of the sound chips is something to behold.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

jeffro11 wrote:The hardware in the Gyruss cabinet at the time was pretty incredible. Two Z80's and a 6809 that were pushed pretty hard! All in all it made for a wonderful experience.

And yes, the stereo sound is pretty incredible while standing at the cabinet. While you can listen to the music on your computer or on youtube, actually being there listening to the raw audio of the sound chips is something to behold.

I agree, I love my Gyruss. My cab was destroyed but in my candy with stereo wiring it still sounds great.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ah, so I see.

Gyruss is notable for using stereo sound, which according to the bonus material for Konami Arcade Classics, was achieved by utilizing discrete audio circuits..

So yes it may have been first to do that, rudimentary as that may be, but it looks like Marble Madness was the first to have a stereo sound chip.

The cabinet was interesting too. I remember the screen tilted closer to you and the controls were right underneath the screen, as opposed to further away with the monitor recessed deeper into the cab.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
jeffro11
128-bit

Post by jeffro11 »

If anybody wants to make any requests as to which games I should take a look at please tell me! This should be a community effort to cover the best of all arcade classics