Super Nintendo - Hidden Gems

Post game-related video clips here
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Super Nintendo - Hidden Gems

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Fun Fact: In EGM #100, the editorial staff rated Space Megaforce (SNES) one of the greatest games of all time. This selection shows: (1) that the editorial staff at EGM in the mid-'90s was the best collection of video game critics and writers ever assembled; and (2) that Space Megaforce was not quite as "hidden" at the time of its release as it is today.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Metal Jesus wrote:Which SNES games would you like to see in Part 2?

I just saw this and thought I'd add my own two cents.

Spanky's Quest

This is one of Natsume's less famous games on the Super Nintendo. Unlike Pocky & Rocky, Harvest Moon, Wild Guns, or The Ninja Warriors, this is one of the few Natsume SNES games that doesn't command an obscenely high price. It's cute, it's entertaining, and it's well worth playing.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition

And again, Natsume. This fighting game is awesome and features the same game engine that Gundam Wing: Endless Duel uses. It's unfortunate that the property keeps people away, because this is one hell of a great fighting game, and it deserves a lot more attention.

Cacoma Knight in Bizyland

This game features cutesy anime-esque graphics, but it's a challenging puzzle game where the player must block off sections of the arena to fill in. As stages go by, more enemies appear, and the amount of space the player must clear gets higher and higher.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ack wrote:Cacoma Knight in Bizyland

This game features cutesy anime-esque graphics, but it's a challenging puzzle game where the player must block off sections of the arena to fill in. As stages go by, more enemies appear, and the amount of space the player must clear gets higher and higher.

Qix?
Ack

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:
Ack wrote:Cacoma Knight in Bizyland

Qix?

Yes. Cacoma Knight is extremely similar to Qix, but in my opinion is much more challenging.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

The SNES has been a hot discussion with many threads here over the past month on RB. Let's say I never even heard of Firestriker, so this video was good just by that. Space Megaforce isn't totally hidden, but it's great. Legend can be pretty obscure by Capcom's games like Knights of the Round and King of Dragons. I really didn't get into Choplifter III as much as this guy in the video did. Skyblazer and Run Saber will be my first ones to mention when I hear "obscure" and "hidden". R-Type III gets talked about often, but not as much as Space Megaforce. I only recently found out about Hagane's legacy as a rare SNES title. So there you go. What else can I suggest? Not much. Maybe Kendo Rage for a good platformer, 7th Saga for maybe an RPG, and we just got off discussing X-Men Mutant Apocalypse and Marvel Super Heroes War of the Gems.

To answer the question raised in the video, Compile developed Blazing Lazers *and* Space Megaforce.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

can we include hidden gems on the super nintendo that were only released in Japan or Europe? I vote The Firemen, a great little action game where you play firemen fighting fires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3FuXBHQHs
Ack

Post by Ack »

ExedExes wrote:To answer the question raised in the video, Compile developed Blazing Lazers *and* Space Megaforce.

Blazing Lasers? You mean Gunhed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ax-osVqQEY
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

ninjainspandex wrote:can we include hidden gems on the super nintendo that were only released in Japan or Europe? I vote The Firemen, a great little action game where you play firemen fighting fires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3FuXBHQHs

Firemen is awesome, but if you'll notice, MJ only does videos of things in his or someone else's possession. It's possible they have a copy though.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Here are a few to consider:

Addams Family Values
Arcana
Dragon View
Friepower 2000
Goof Troop
On The Ball
Operation Logic Bomb
Mecharobot Golf
Pac-in-Time
Push Over
S.O.S.
Spindizzy Worlds
Strike Gunner S.T.G.
Super Ninja Boy
Thunder Spirits
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nice video! I think there was too much emphasis on how much a game is worth, maybe go into more detail how each one plays? For instance I would like to have heard more detail on that Firestriker game, that ball looks like a different take of Warlords on the 2600 and Arcade.

The SNES Choplifter looks sweet, but I still like the original Choplifter on the Apple II the best. A Kraft analog joystick really gives a sense of radio control flying having to float the pots at just the right angle to keep the right hover height while bombing the tanks. The Atari 5200 version with its non centering analog stick actually shines in this game, simulating control as in the 8bit Apple version.

Sorry about jumping around, just love older games! To get back to Nintendo, I do not own a SNES but have discovered a few unique games via Emulation. Probably the only way I would have found out about a very good Japan exclusive Puzzle game series. Still on the hunt for the PS1 version.

SNES Super Gussun Oyoyo / Super Gussun Oyoyo 2
Drop Tetris blocks to form steps so your charcter can exit at the top, have care not to squish him underneath. A time limit in the form of water rising from the bottom. Once in a while instead of a block you get a bomb to clear badly placed "ladders", but sometimes the explosion can wipe out the platform or kill your character. The sounds and animation are very "Lemmings" sweet.

Come to think about it there is a 2600 game that played similar called Save Mary, but it only has square blocks to stack.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425