Ditching jewel cases?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
bchan009
8-bit

Ditching jewel cases?

Post by bchan009 »

I've started my Saturn/PS1 collection, but all those jewel cases start to add up fast. Has anyone tried ditching the jewel cases and storing everything in sleeves like this?

You can keep all the paper inserts/manuals/etc. safe along with the disc, but save space. I've been considering going this route...
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Ditching jewel cases?

Post by emwearz »

You would still need to store all the cases for platforms like the Saturn which you can't simply replace them, otherwise you are up shit creek.

If you do it, please sell or pass on all your cases to members on the forums, I know a lot of members would love to replace a cracked Saturn case or two.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
bchan009
8-bit

Post by bchan009 »

emwearz wrote:You would still need to store all the cases for platforms like the Saturn which you can't simply replace them, otherwise you are up shit creek.

If you do it, please sell or pass on all your cases to members on the forums, I know a lot of members would love to replace a cracked Saturn case or two.

I currently live in Hong Kong and only collect JP Saturn and PS1 releases. =)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I don't like sleeves like that. You're scraping the disc against the inside every time you use the disc. Granted there are ones with soft insert bits, but the top of the disc is actually the more delicate side and that's always against plastic. If any dust or grit gets in, it's going to be like sandpaper as you slide it in and out. With driver discs for PC hardware a paper sleeve isn't a huge deal because they have a flap to keep more dust out and you probably use the disc only a few times. If you're playing some console game (or listening to a CD) you'll be pulling it out over and over.

Cases only hold the disc by the center where it's safe.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

bchan009 wrote:I currently live in Hong Kong

Flats in HK are tiny, so understand where you are coming from RE economising space.

Those sleeves look pretty sleek. Hobie has a point with the whole dust scratching the discs thing. What about if you put the disc in those disc shaped baggies that some dvd's come in and then put the whole thing in the sleeve? That way if dust gets in the sleeve it won't get in direct contact with the disc.
Weekend shmupper
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nyukki wrote:
bchan009 wrote:I currently live in Hong Kong

Flats in HK are tiny, so understand where you are coming from RE economising space.

Those sleeves look pretty sleek. Hobie has a point with the whole dust scratching the discs thing. What about if you put the disc in those disc shaped baggies that some dvd's come in and then put the whole thing in the sleeve? That way if dust gets in the sleeve it won't get in direct contact with the disc.

:lol: I think adding a bag or sleeve to a sleeve will still scratch that disc is taken out very often. I admit keeping all my PS1 games in a binder except for the valuable ones. Too many games, justified as not removing them as often as the PS2, Xbox and Wii games.

As for original cases being better, sometimes the holder has to be filed down. This is especially true on the 360 cases, Gamecube cases and the silly ecco cases where the holder grips too tight. Even the clear hard plastic cases of collectors editions sometimes has a death grip on the discs when trying to remove them.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

I can understand your space problems, but nothing beats the look of a shelf full of PSone games. I would never get rid of the original cases personally.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Looks like a good way of dealing with disc-only games.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Personally even the rare disc-only game that enters my collection (or *gasp* the burn -- gimme a break, I would buy Smoke & Mirrors in a heartbeat if someone actually made a pressed version), I throw in a DVD case with art from The Cover Project.

Of course, I live alone in a house, so space isn't exactly at a premium ;)
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread