My Game Room (New House Done!) Pics 9/8/14

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

My Game Room (New House Done!) Pics 9/8/14

Post by Jagosaurus »

Original post:
Alright ladies and gents, my wife & I building a new house & I'll have a dedicated game room! :mrgreen:

Our house should have the slab poured within 2 weeks or so (trenches drug & conduits ran already).

It is a "flex" room or open upstairs living area but is tucked to one side of the house rather than being a center piece of the upstairs floorplan & we will have a downstairs living room. Apparently flex room is a cool way to say... no door lol 8)

DIMENSIONS: 11 foot 3 inches wide x 15 foot 5 inches long(rectangular shaped, actually goes another 2 feet long or so if you count the hall) with ceilings that elevate up to 10 feet. Plenty of room.

Obviously I'm jacked. Currently one of our guest rooms doubles as my game room. Will be cool to have a dedicated space. :D House could be done before August but the city is running power and gas to the area now. I'll have coax as well.

Update
My current lot:

Update 4/6/14:
Slab is poured! City is moving quicker than expected (power & gas) so it looks more like July than August move in.

Update 5/31/2014
Walls up, 6 110v outlets & coax drop for modem/network setup done!

Update 5/18/2014:
We close this Thursday!

No worries... will have 2" binds & dark curtains :) protect those games from sun fading.

Room Size: 11 foot 3 inches wide x 15 foot 5 inches long.

It is rectangular shaped, actually goes another 2 feet long or so if you count the hall)

UPDATE 8/9/2014:

We've been moved in for a bit & I wanted to show updated pics of the game room. My two main pending items:
1) Couch (gotta love my lawn chairs for now!)
2) Items on Walls

Coming up the stairs, looking into the room... install a fan for those concerned lol. Also put up a set of black out curtains on each of the two windows. Keep games from sun fading & the temp down in the summer.

Behold my fancy furniture! Planning on getting a couch within the next two weeks.

27" RCA 4:3 CRT Tru Flat (RF, composite, component, & Svid)

You'll also see my Comcast modem. I'm getting 85mbps down. Will eventually have some network setup going.

Consoles round 1 below. You'll recognize them all, maybe minus the red and black. That's a Retro Trio.

32" LCD 1080p Vizio. Will eventually move my 42" in here but not in a big rush to upgrade my downstairs TV. You'll also see my PS2 slim, Atari 7800, Blu Ray Player, and beast of a DVD/VHS combo unit to watch my VHS tapes :D The other small black unit is a Comcast Cisco box that gives me local channels in HD for free without fiddling with an antenna.

I'll get you guys some better pics of games later but this will give you a good idea of my set up:

DVDs & BRs (blurry pic, sry). My VHS tapes are tucked in my closet shelving lol.

UPDATE 9/8/2014

Well, while the lawn chairs added charm :) finally bought a new couch.

Moved this shelf & spruced it up a bit.

And of course.... my game room mascot. She's a Sony snob.

Last edited by Jagosaurus on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: My Future Game Room (Building New House)

Post by Hazerd »

No basements in Texas?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Hazerd wrote:No basements in Texas?

We're near the coast. They'd quickly turn into underground swamps.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hobie-wan wrote:
Hazerd wrote:No basements in Texas?

We're near the coast. They'd quickly turn into underground swamps.

Yeah Hobie is right.

Houston gets 12 more inches of rain than Seattle a year, it often hits 100% humidity, and we're in hurricane alley... essentially asking for a damp mess one way or the other.

You start seeing them as you get closer to Dallas, along with undergrounds tornado shelters... EFF that.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Awesome, cant wait to see what happens with your build.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

fastbilly1 wrote:Awesome, cant wait to see what happens with your build.

Thanks man. I thought it'd be cool to show a true ground up build of a game room :). I'll post pics throughout the process... framework, sheetrock, carpet, and finally moving the gameroom set up in. Eventually I'll upgrade my current shelfing but at first I'll just be moving it over.

4-5 months from now we'll be moving in. Bringing the RB crew along for the ride for the gameroom portion! :D

Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

That's awesome man, I'm jealous happy for you :lol: I've enjoyed reading "fast's geekhouse in progress" and am looking forward to yours as well. My wife and I are buying a fixer upper so that we can really customize our own place and plan on doing a thread similar to these. Can't wait to see more!
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

As I have only lived in SA or Houston my entire life, I have never actually been in a home basement. Ive been in office buildings with sub floors, but homes around here dont have basements.

Hobie brought up one reason, but there are a few others. In San Antonio and central Texas, there is a ton of limestone which is difficult to dig through. We also dont have a deep frost line for pipes and such. When not limestone, a lot of soil is clay. This clay causes foundation problems as in shrinks and swells dramatically in relation to moisture levels. So this could potentially crush or cave in basement walls.

Congrats in the upcoming house Jag. Enjoy that nice gameroom while it lasts until it becomes baby play area!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Congrats in the upcoming house Jag. Enjoy that nice gameroom while it lasts until it becomes baby play area!

:shock: Destructive kiddos scare me. I've already thought of this LOL...

None yet, but plan B is take over the office downstairs & have it double as a game room when that time comes. I'll enjoy the dedicated space while I can!

Thanks Frag. My wife and I would go nuts if we bought fixer upper together although I really like the premise.

IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

looks like a good amount of space, and i like your ideas...could be awesome! cannot wait to be at this point & setting up a classic game room, we also can't do basements here...ive already started framing old posters & such, any idea if you wanna put stuff on the walls?