My humble/budget game room. *Updated 12/12/16*

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: My humble/budget game room. *Work in progress*

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hobie-wan wrote:Looks good so far. Just get something a bit more solid to put that TV on so it's sure to be stable.

THIS. That plastic storage box is not very stable, tube TVs have a most of their wieght at the front. A tip hazard if that plastic box lid caves in. Don't use a cheap fiberboard shelf, hit the Thrift Stores for a solid wood stand.

Good for you to leave the game controllers plugged in, ready to play. I usually leave just one controller fully uncoiled and then plugged in. Then place the controller cable loosely UNDER the controller sitting on top of the console. This prevents tangles such as the coil wrap "memory" if left wound tight around the controller.

The TV based on your description of video inputs and the picture appears to be the standard definition of the Wega series. No HD for the newer consoles, but a great TV that supports a retro light gun. Again check the Thrift Store box of remotes, you might find one that will work.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I swear we have the same SNES. Same color, same chip in the front corner.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Still love how people like you call this a small collection though, you obviously haven't seen mine...that's the epitimy of small :P I'd love to have some of the games you guys have. For what you have you're doing really well on getting it in order ;)

But I have to agree with CRTGamer on this one...I've seen some decent stuff when I was little that would make for a great way to display the tv...but I would seriously look for a bigger switch if you can't keep them all hooked up but turned off. To me with that many consoles it would be a pain to get the discs/cartridges put in and then rehooked up if it's not already. Seems like the easier way to go would to keep them all hooked up and off until you need it.
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

He's not joking. The HD Wegas are ususally in excess of 200 lbs. I have a low, solid wood coffee table that I keep mine on.

It's perfectly eye-level when you sit on the couch.
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

Holy yellowed SNES Batman! You have a nice setup here. I am really a fan of well displayed posters in a game room. Nice looking PS1 collection as well, its a console that I have been spending a lot more time with lately. I look forward to seeing more from ya!
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
Nihilis

Post by Nihilis »

Thank you all for such positive feedback! You really know how to make a muscle-head gamer nerd feel welcome. :-D
90's gamer and proud of it.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Good stuff! You have a nice collection of solid games, not a whole lot of chaff going on. Plus the room looks comfy.
Nihilis

Post by Nihilis »

The room is comfy! The best seat in the house is the blue bean bag chair. $30 at Wal-mart.

And I'm not too familiar with the terminology. What is Chaff?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Chaff is the dry casing around grains that is waste material to humans but can be used for livestock feed or compost. Usually you hear it in reference to wheat, as in the saying "separate the wheat from the chaff."

Basically, you have an elite selection!
Nihilis

Post by Nihilis »

Oh ok. Elite selection has a nice ring to it. :-)
Trying to find a nice replacement for the plastic tote, although living on tight budget is making kinda hard. And by tight budget I mean individually I didn't pay more than $30 for everything in the room. Games & consoles included.