NintendoTwizer's Game Room *Update 1/26/17*

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: NintendoTwizer's Game Room

Post by Jrecee »

Ill throw out an idea for a gameboy shelf i had. It would take up more space (a lot in your case) but thegeneral idea was to slot them at 45 degrees, with about an inch in between. Then you can seee whats what. Basically like this:

/ / / / / /
NintendoTwizer
16-bit

Post by NintendoTwizer »

I finished up those Gameboy shelves. Heres the story: :)

So back in March I was considering putting together a shelf where my GB and GBC games could sit on their side. They would be easily accessible and better organized than just a random stack. I ended coming up with a rough blue print in MS paint or what it should look like, then I put the idea aside, not really knowing when I’d ever build it. It stayed in the back of my mind though and a few months later I decided I was ready.

I started measuring out my wall space and the amount of shelving I would need to hold a complete GB and GBC set. Once I figured out those measurements it was really as simple as cutting the boards. The shelf itself is pretty thin… around 2.5” deep. The inner shelves are only 2” deep. This works perfect as I wanted the Gameboy cart to hang out about 1/4” inch… making them easier to grab off the shelf.

I also wanted to give the shelves a bit of extra flair and by that I mean putting the Gameboy and Gameboy Color logos as a header for the shelf. I’m not an artist by any means, but I just printed off the logos in the size that I wanted, traced them will pencil and then carefully painted them in. I sprayed a clear coat of paint on them so no colors would fade or get smeared.

After all that it was time to nail it all together. Here’s the finished product:

Here are some pics of it mounted on my wall. As I mentioned these shelves are designed to hold a complete loose library of GB and GBC games ( so around 550 GB and 500 GBC). I don’t have a ton of games to fill the shelf yet, so I decided to turn some of my best games on their side for display purposes.

The tabs are of course added for easy alphabetical access.

Last edited by NintendoTwizer on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
harper
Next-Gen

Re: NintendoTwizer's Game Room *Just finished my gameboy she

Post by harper »

Awesome work on the Gameboy shelves. :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

wow! That is really impressive man. If I still collected loose carts, I'd probably totally copy you.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Those GB shelves are awesome. I've been trying to find a pre-made shelf that will fit my carts for a while, but haven't had much luck. I may have to copy your idea :lol:
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

The games look much more accessible on those shelves. Good work. Very tidy logos on the top.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Looking spiffy sir.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

DinnerX wrote:Very tidy logos on the top.

Yeah the logos look great. You should rebuild your other shelves with similar logos.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

any idea how many total carts each holds? If memory serves there are 511 (506 licensed) grey GB games released in the US and 609 black/clear GBC carts released in the US.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

noiseredux wrote:any idea how many total carts each holds? If memory serves there are 511 (506 licensed) grey GB games released in the US and 609 black/clear GBC carts released in the US.

NintendoTwizer wrote:As I mentioned these shelves are designed to hold a complete loose library of GB and GBC games ( so around 550 GB and 500 GBC).

I guess he's counting the black cart games as regular GB?