dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month(ish)" project - DONE!?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month(ish)" project

Post by bryan_65 »

I just had to say that this looks awesome, great job man. I have one question for ya. Are you gonna be able to hook some light guns up to this?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

bryan_65 wrote:I just had to say that this looks awesome, great job man. I have one question for ya. Are you gonna be able to hook some light guns up to this?

I may eventually do it "right", but for now I plan to hook up some Guncons to the PS2 that is hiding underneath. I have these PS1 light gun games:

Time Crisis
Point Blank
Point Blank II
Lethal Enforcers I and II
Elemental Gearbolt
Area 51

So that will keep me busy with lightgun games for now, but I will be on the lookout for some more in the genre soon. This will have to do until I can figure out a way to hook up some of those MAME-specific lightguns.

I plan to have everything together by tomorrow evening, though it looks like my marquee probably won't be here on time :( . Side art is a concern for a later date at this point.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

dsheinem wrote:
bryan_65 wrote:I just had to say that this looks awesome, great job man. I have one question for ya. Are you gonna be able to hook some light guns up to this?

I may eventually do it "right", but for now I plan to hook up some Guncons to the PS2 that is hiding underneath. I have these PS1 light gun games:

Time Crisis
Point Blank
Point Blank II
Lethal Enforcers I and II
Elemental Gearbolt
Area 51

So that will keep me busy with lightgun games for now, but I will be on the lookout for some more in the genre soon. This will have to do until I can figure out a way to hook up some of those MAME-specific lightguns.

I plan to have everything together by tomorrow evening, though it looks like my marquee probably won't be here on time :( . Side art is a concern for a later date at this point.

If you like House of the Dead, there is PS2 Vampire Night. Is your CRT a ED, 480p capable? The PS2 Guncon 2 won't work on a HD CRT but it does have a 480p mode, I think might work on EDTVs.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ok, this is as close as it is getting to done before the meet tomorrow, unless my marquee magically arrives today. This is about where I wanted to have it, and am overall very happy (more on quibbles at the end).

Here it is running MAME (ESP.Ra.De)

...and from the other side

The nettop PC, keyboard, and mouse sits in the drawer, the PS2 and Dreamcast and all the cables are underneath. The Xbox is there for now, but won't be permanently. It is there for Steel Battalion only.

Here is is running Tekken 5

...and Cannon Spike

and here's my temp sideart :lol:

Things still left to do:

-put in the marquee, and fix the bottom marquee shelf. The shelf was the last thing I put in but I am pretty sure I will need to adjust it when the Marquee arrives. It doesn't fit perfectly now anyway.

-recess the door. I don't have the right bit, apparently, so I need to pick one up to but the proper hinges on. It is just sitting on standard L hinges right now.

-touch up the cabinet paint - I'll do this next weekend when it moves to its permanent room.

-install a coin door (probably just cosmetic).

-install real sideart.

but those are mostly minor things, and the goal of having the cabinet in good playable and aesthetic shape by the meet has been met, in about 36 days. :D

In the future I may add a spinner/wheel combo, create an overlay for the X-arcade stick, and do some other minor things. But for now, I am quite happy with it. :D
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month(ish)" project - DONE!?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Looks beautiful! This is one of the fastest built Arcade cabs I've seen posted.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Definitely very nice, one of the better tankstick setups I've seen for sure.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

A job well done Dave! 8)
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

dsheinem wrote:Things still left to do:

-install a coin door (probably just cosmetic).

You could make the coin return button active. A microswitch behind it to operate the power or coins in Mame. In my modded Arcade Zaxxon stick, it became the Select button in PSX mode and the Return key in PC mode reconfigured for Mame coins. :mrgreen:

Not pictured, Orange is the standard.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

CRTGAMER wrote:You could make the coin return button active. A microswitch behind it to operate the power or coins in Mame. In my Arcade stick it became the Select button in PSX mode and the Return key in PC mode reconfigured for Mame coins. :mrgreen:

That would be pretty cool to set up the coin return as the power switch for the Mame computer. Would be easy too since it is just a momentary switch to turn a PC on. I guess the question would be whether your son might become enamored with its candy like glow and push it randomly as it would be in easy reach. :lol:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hobie-wan wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:You could make the coin return button active. A microswitch behind it to operate the power or coins in Mame. In my Arcade stick it became the Select button in PSX mode and the Return key in PC mode reconfigured for Mame coins. :mrgreen:
That would be pretty cool to set up the coin return as the power switch for the Mame computer. Would be easy too since it is just a momentary switch to turn a PC on. I guess the question would be whether your son might become enamored with its candy like glow and push it randomly as it would be in easy reach. :lol:

:lol: :lol: I am envisioning a twenty minute marathon stay alive Arcade game session. Ooooh, Bright Light! Bright Light!

Well, maybe as a key control such as coins in Mame. Let your son feed the free quarters. :D