Is it time to start collecting the obscure?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Is it time to start collecting the obscure?

Post by Jrecee »

32X

Knuckles Chaotix - better than most recent sonic games
Kolibri
Tempo - other people seem to like it, I'm not a fan
Space Harrier - best console version?
Virtua Racing - better than the genesis version probably
Metal Head
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

8bit wrote:Sega 32X ... ive got every other sega system...

LIES! I see no Sega Pico on your list.

But yeah, TG/PCE/Duo. Just know that most games stayed in Japan and getting into the CD games won't be cheap.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Turbo Grafx 16/Duo --- looks well rounded and fun -GET THIS! You need a Japanese PC Engine Duo (or some other way to play Super CDs) to get the most out of it.

Panasonic 3DO -- cheap and cheap to burn games for -There are some fun games on this system. It's worth it if you can find a good deal.

Phillips CDi --- I almost bought one of these with my grandfather from Conns as a child -meh. Only buy if you need to collect everything.

Atari Jaguar --- eh... temptest? -buy if you get a good deal, I guess.

Sega 32X ... ive got every other sega system... -Awesome versions of Virtua Racing, Space Harrier and After Burner.

N64 DD ... because this was the biggest cock tease in gaming history (for me at least) -waste of money. Only buy if you want to collect every Nintendo system. The Virtual Boy has more going for it.

Is these something that I am missing that is a better choice? Which system do you think I should I start with first or do you think I am set with the primary collection of great systems already?!

Definitely get a PC Engine Duo (or PC Engine with Super CD add-on). It's cheaper to collect for than the TG-16, even with shipping fees, and has a better selection of games.

The 3DO is worth it, IMO. The 32X and Jaguar are also, but to a much lesser extent. The CDi and 64DD take up more space than they are worth. Another system that you don't have that you should get is a Neo Geo. If you get the CD version, it's quite a bit cheaper and still a lot of fun.

In short, get a PC Engine Duo first and then Neo Geo CD (or AES if you feel like dumping lots of money, or consolized MVS if you want to save money) or a 3DO next. Get a 32x and Jaguar after you've worked on your PC Engine collection a bit.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Like others said, 64dd is only good if you REALLY like Fzero X. Its an easy suggestion to say go with PC engine. I got one earlier in the year thanks to Breetai and have enjoyed it immensely. Runner up for me would be 3do. Its got some great games that you can get for fairly cheap. Star Control 2 is one of the best console games of all time and is the number one 3do game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:Like others said, 64dd is only good if you REALLY like Fzero X. Its an easy suggestion to say go with PC engine. I got one earlier in the year thanks to Breetai and have enjoyed it immensely. Runner up for me would be 3do. Its got some great games that you can get for fairly cheap. Star Control 2 is one of the best console games of all time and is the number one 3do game.

I had a TG16 when it was still on shelves back in the day. It's a great console with great library.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Breetai wrote:Another system that you don't have that you should get is a Neo Geo. If you get the CD version, it's quite a bit cheaper and still a lot of fun.

I love Neo Geo games but I can't stand the load times on the CD system... slower than the PS1 it seems.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

My vote is for the PCE, followed by the 32X, then the Jaguar, then the 3DO.

None of these are really that obscure though. If you start collecting for the Pippin or the FM Towns Marty, then you are getting into obscure territory.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

yep the Jaguar and 32x.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

8bit wrote:
Phillips CDi --- I almost bought one of these with my grandfather from Conns as a child

Woo, dodged a bullet there.

I think TG16 is the one on that list that offers the most playability. I'd go with that.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Thanks for all of the input guys. Good feedback and made me think about how I should go about adding more systems.

I think I will continue to look for good deals on some of these and forget the CDi and Jaguar. the Turbo Duo will be high on my list as well as a NeoGeo CD system.

Again, thanks for everyones comments. :D
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |