Discuss all hardware and software modifications
User avatar
Broodstar
24-bit
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 am
Location: Romania

My first customized Game Boy - Guide inside

by Broodstar Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 am

Took me a week to make this customized Game Boy, inspired by my favorite game: Trax.

It's my first work, and i haven't painted anything for almost 10 years, so be as harsh and critical as possible with me :D
Also, the pictures are made with an 3gs, I'm sorry that the quality is not the best but i could'nt wait to make better photos with my camera. I promise I'll upload some better pictures in the near future.

So here it is:
Image
http://i.imgur.com/BP4Z5zU.jpg

And here is a video of the game that inspired me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54wRSz5BsxU
Last edited by Broodstar on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
I Am Fire And Life Incarnate.
My Game Boy collection
User avatar
oxymoron
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm
Location: Greater Los Angeles

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by oxymoron Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:02 am

That looks pretty nice. :D How long did it take you to collect all those GB games?
Image
User avatar
Broodstar
24-bit
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 am
Location: Romania

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by Broodstar Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:12 am

oxymoron wrote::D How long did it take you to collect all those GB games?


It took me a few hours to get all those games from an old lady i've met in the market... She was buying bananas, and not for eating...
I paid with my self esteem, mental health and horrible nightmares for that collection.

Later edit: This is a sarcastic joke that i've made because oxymoron was repeating his question ;)
Last edited by Broodstar on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
I Am Fire And Life Incarnate.
My Game Boy collection
User avatar
oxymoron
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm
Location: Greater Los Angeles

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by oxymoron Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:15 am

Broodstar wrote:
oxymoron wrote::D How long did it take you to collect all those GB games?


It took me a few hours to get all those games from an old lady i've met in the market... She was buying bananas, and not for eating...
I paid with my self esteem, mental health and horrible nightmares for that collection.


Um...Ok?? An appropriate answer would have been a length of time.
Image
User avatar
Broodstar
24-bit
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 am
Location: Romania

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by Broodstar Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:22 am

oxymoron wrote:
Broodstar wrote:
oxymoron wrote::D How long did it take you to collect all those GB games?


It took me a few hours to get all those games from an old lady i've met in the market... She was buying bananas, and not for eating...
I paid with my self esteem, mental health and horrible nightmares for that collection.


Um...Ok?? An appropriate answer would have been a length of time.


I've answered you the same question in my collection thread :)
Seriously, almost two years.

Later Edit:
oxymoron wrote:Oh, my bad. I forgot i asked you this on that forum. :P I haven't checked it since then.


No problem, i just thought you were making fun of me :)
Last edited by Broodstar on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Am Fire And Life Incarnate.
My Game Boy collection
User avatar
oxymoron
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm
Location: Greater Los Angeles

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by oxymoron Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:37 am

Oh, my bad. I forgot i asked you this on that forum. :P I haven't checked it since then.
Image
User avatar
emwearz
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by emwearz Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:20 am

I kind of love it.

It is legitimately one of the best custom jobs I have seen, top stuff.
AppleQueso
 

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by AppleQueso Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:27 am

It's kinda crude looking, but it's also got a lot of charm so I can't complain. I like it.
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by Hobie-wan Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Make sure you did a lot of clearcoating if that's a GB you're going to use so it doesn't get messed up. :)
User avatar
Broodstar
24-bit
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 am
Location: Romania

Re: My first customized Game Boy (Warning: Trax inside!)

by Broodstar Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:Make sure you did a lot of clearcoating if that's a GB you're going to use so it doesn't get messed up. :)


Yup, did it. I have worked a few yrs ago with acrylics to paint my warhammer fantasy miniatures, so i have a little experience... at least i know the theory :)
Otherwise i have to admit that I've ruined the back of the console by spraying too much base paint over it and the paint leaked in the sides. I'm trying to recover it right now, but i have spare parts anyway (brought a couple of broken consoles to use the parts).
I Am Fire And Life Incarnate.
My Game Boy collection
Return to Hacks and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests