Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Lodestar
128-bit

SOLVED: How do I replace a tray bezel?

by Lodestar Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:08 am

EDIT: Now I know why my PS2 tray wasn't closing properly, it wasn't because of the rails needing grease or a pinched ribbon/cord. Even though the replacement tray I bought off of mechblue is for the SCPH-30000 series, my SCPH-39001 tray has a slight curve on the rail. The replacement has a straight rail design. I put the old one back in and the problem with my tray retracting on its own is gone. I should've known, I DID give it a cursory glance to see if they were the same - they certainly looked similar until I looked very closely at them.

Picture comparison: Image

I'm quite annoyed that they aren't compatible, I had previously asked Rich of Rich'sPSXParts if they were and he said yes. I figured someone who sold various internals labeled for particular models knew his stuff...apparently not. Shame on Sony too for the presumably pointless revision.

EDIT 2: Now I need information on how to remove the bezel so I can put it on the original tray. I will have to glue it, I bought the whole tray so I wouldn't have to do this, but now I have no choice.

I also need to know where the eject/reset ribbon leads inside the PS2, because that slipped out accidentally. I have to get under the disk reader somehow and this is going to be difficult.

What a nightmare this has been, flustered is not even the word - it's more like this: http://youtu.be/6XKGqBkq7OQ

EDIT 3:

I fixed the power ribbon problem, took some very invasive disassembly, but it's all fine now. Now I just need to know how to take the bezel off the tray and put it on the other one using adhesive.
Last edited by Lodestar on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:13 am, edited 9 times in total.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Replaced my PS2's tray, now it's closing automatically!

by Hobie-wan Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:27 am

I haven't looked at a PS2 drive but I've messed with tons of PC CD drives. There are switches that lat it know that it has opened or closed all the way. I have seen some that are just a know hanging off the try that hits a button inside near the front when opening and the back when closed. I saw another that had some that were activated by the spiral gear that opened/closed and cranked the spindle up and down. Maybe you knocked one out of alignment so it is thinking something is jammed so autoclosing?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:30 am

Now the third new Thread concerning your PS2 tray
Why keep making new Threads? Just add to your existing Fix my PS2 Tray Post. Avoids the repeat of answers.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33562

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=33323

That said, concur with Hobie. Something is telling the drive tray to close. Maybe the eject button is stuck or wires got pinched when you did the repair?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Lodestar
128-bit

by Lodestar Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 am

Yes, I know, I tried to delete the old ones in favor of this one. I guess the opportunity to delete threads disappears after a while.

Please delete them.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: SOLVED: How do I replace a tray bezel?

by CRTGAMER Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Lodestar wrote:EDIT: Now I know why my PS2 tray wasn't closing properly, it wasn't because of the rails needing grease or a pinched ribbon/cord. Even though the replacement tray I bought off of mechblue is for the SCPH-30000 series, my SCPH-39001 tray has a slight curve on the rail. The replacement has a straight rail design. I put the old one back in and the problem with my tray retracting on its own is gone. I should've known, I DID give it a cursory glance to see if they were the same - they certainly looked similar until I looked very closely at them.

I'm quite annoyed that they aren't compatible, I had previously asked Rich of Rich'sPSXParts if they were and he said yes. I figured someone who sold various internals labeled for particular models knew his stuff...apparently not. Shame on Sony too for the presumably pointless revision.

EDIT 2: Now I need information on how to remove the bezel so I can put it on the original tray. I will have to glue it, I bought the whole tray so I wouldn't have to do this, but now I have no choice.

I also need to know where the eject/reset ribbon leads inside the PS2, because that slipped out accidentally. I have to get under the disk reader somehow and this is going to be difficult.

What a nightmare this has been, flustered is not even the word - it's more like this: http://youtu.be/6XKGqBkq7OQ

EDIT 3:

I fixed the power ribbon problem, took some very invasive disassembly, but it's all fine now. Now I just need to know how to take the bezel off the tray and put it on the other one using adhesive.

Interesting, I didn't know about the differences in the Fat trays. On my Fat PS2 disc tray, the bezel would pop off by sliding upwards. If I'm looking at the pic correctly, the left tray has the bezel at the bottom. It looks like some kind of round metal ring or spring locking the center.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Lodestar
128-bit

Re: SOLVED: How do I replace a tray bezel?

by Lodestar Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:36 pm

To take the bezel off, you have to first lift up the center part of the tray covering it, pry it up and then you can access the bezel.
Return to Hacks and Mods