Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Holes in feet for hidden screw removal - custom tool

by Hobie-wan Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:07 am

Just thought I'd share a cutter I made to cut a core out of rubber feet for things that have screws hidden behind them. In this case, I put holes in the feet of an XBox, but I have a joystick or two that have screws hidden this way as well. This keep you from peeling the feet off over and over with the risk of dropping them on the floor where they pick up dust and never stick on right again.

I had some aluminum cylindrical spacers that were formed by rolling a flat piece, so they were already split. It wasn't quite the diameter I wanted, so I carefully pushed my awl into it to widen it. A reamer would work as well and since the spacer was aluminum, it wasn't too tough. Make it a little wider across than the head of the screw that will need to fit through the rubber. Next I used a file to sharpen the business end. Then I took a little more off the inside edge that would start the cutting when it was spinning clockwise, which would be the right fo both pictures. Finally I took another spacer and put in in the non business end and crimped it down to give it some strength.

Stick that in a manual (not power) drill, carefully line it up on the foot, and go very slowly.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: Holes in feet for hidden screw removal - custom tool

by sevin0seven Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:12 am

NICE! thanks for sharing hobie.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
SnowKitty
Next-Gen

Re: Holes in feet for hidden screw removal - custom tool